Airfare tickets prices dropped - yippeee!

jwright98

We are booked for the Solstice in Sept. I had been monitoring the airfare prices for a few months now, and they've been pretty steady, and the flight times were'nt all that great (either leave super early or super late, or arriving super late). I noticed Delta opened up a bunch of new flights intineraries about a week or so ago, but still price was about $250 ea. Checked today and they were $180! Saved some dough. Southwest was still high with tickets at about $300.

Solstice here we come!

We are booked for the Solstice in Sept. I had been monitoring the airfare prices for a few months now, and they've been pretty steady, and the flight times were'nt all that great (either leave super early or super late, or arriving super late). I noticed Delta opened up a bunch of new flights intineraries about a week or so ago, but still price was about $250 ea. Checked today and they were $180! Saved some dough. Southwest was still high with tickets at about $300.

Solstice here we come!

Baggage fees for Delta: $23 pp each way for first bag, $32 pp each way for second bag. 2 people, 2 bags each, $220.

Baggage fees for Southwest: $0 pp each way for first bag, $0 pp each way for second bag. 2 people, 2 bags each, $0.

Baggage fees for Delta: $23 pp each way for first bag, $32 pp each way for second bag. 2 people, 2 bags each, $220.

Baggage fees for Southwest: $0 pp each way for first bag, $0 pp each way for second bag. 2 people, 2 bags each, $0.

You assume we'd be checking 4 bags, which is ridiculous. We'd more than likely be fine with just one large bag and 2 carry-ons. Even if we checked 1 bag each, we'd be paying $460 total with the tickets, which is still less than the $600+ with SW. BTW, I also mentioned the favorable times. SW didn't win in that category either.

Agree on comments for 4 bags as not likely; also worth paying some extra to get a direct with Delta vs. connections with SW, especially if traveling in Winter from Midwest!!!!

And Delta does not charge for the first bag if you have Delta's AmEx card.

That is good to know. It seems Delta has lots of flights out of MKE now (I assume from the merger with Northwest), so it may be worth getting one if it saves us in the long run.

You assume we'd be checking 4 bags, which is ridiculous. We'd more than likely be fine with just one large bag and 2 carry-ons. Even if we checked 1 bag each, we'd be paying $460 total with the tickets, which is still less than the $600+ with SW. BTW, I also mentioned the favorable times. SW didn't win in that category either.

I never said I assumed you were taking four bags, but many people do. I just wanted to point out that if you did, you would have saved $120 with Delta vs Southwest, but you would have lost $220 in baggage fees in the event that you, like a lot of people, fly with 2 bags each. Not everyone is aware of Southwest's luggage policy. If you had planned on taking four bags and weren't taking luggage fees into account, Southwest would have been the better option. 'S all I'm tryin' to say.

We've used 2 bags each on our cruises, one of them partially empty for lugging soda on board, then we have room for souveniers coming back. We also pack our own snorkel gear, which takes up a bit of room. We're trying to squeeze down to a maximum of three bags between us for the next cruise.

What can I say? Some people like to travel light, others prefer to take a little more along. Hardly ridiculous. If you can do it with one checked bag, more power to you.

Glad you found cheap flights. Since we always fly from Michigan to San Juan, we always end up paying close to the amount of our cabin in airfare! :eek:

Web special on Air Tran of $169 per person :eek: one way from San Juan to Detroit. We were surprised at the good prices we were able to get from San Juan to Pittsburgh last fall.

Pretty much a wash then.

Unless, like my wife and I, you only check 1 bag each, then the savings is $97 p/p (33%)

Archived