Recommendation Requested

vacruiser2007

I have been lurking on the SD board for awhile and now have decided to take the plunge and book a cruise with SD cruise for our 30th anniversary. There are so many that swear by SD and I would like their input as to whether a Caribbean or a Mediterranean cruise are best. This would be a special treat for DW and I and reading FT's blogs in the Med sounds interesting. We have cruised both before (on large ships) and really are content to just enjoy the ship on a Caribbean cruise. In the Med the ports are the main attraction. Please let me know your preferences. Thanks.

You can't go wrong either way. Sea Dream is in it's GLORY in the Caribbean. And as others have said there's probably no one who does the Caribbean better. All the wonderful out door spaces just lend themselves well to that location and the laid back atmosphere fits the location too. I'd have to say, that The Champagne and Caviar Splash at either Jost or Virgin Gorda is a not to be missed experience. But SD also does quite well in the Med, where the ports can make for a less leisurely cruise, because you feel like you must go see them. You can always just wander around the ports on your own and still see an amazing amount because they always go to interesting places.

Have a great cruise regardless of which area you choose!

Having just returned from the Med, I think that I have to say that the Med is my favorite. Maybe it is because all the ports are new, or because, as FT will tell you I go stir crazy with too much "ship" time. I think that I prefer the activity level in the Med over the laid back pace of the Caribbean, but I will say that the second visit to each stop last week was at a much slower pace than the first stop. I suspect that after the sites have been seen whether in the Med or the Caribbean, the ship itself becomes more important and other than the C&C Splash there is not a lot of difference in the Med and the Caribbean.

having just come back from my first SD Med cruise and having done multiple Caribbean SD cruises - it really depends on what you want from your holiday. in the Caribbean, its a much more "laid back" vacation -- I spend much more time on the yacht and get to know my fellow guests much better (that's good if there is a great group on board, but can be vexing if a few bad apples are thrown in the bunch). As whatnot says, you can't go wrong either way. You have to experience a Champagne and Caviar Splash at least once - but on Jost (or I hear Prickly Pear is as good if not better) - however, some of the "fill in spots" if you can't make those ports are disappointing. But we are definitely booking another Med excursion in the near future. The sunsets and the ports can not be duplicated. I can't make a choice as to which is preferrable. My goal is to do one of each as often as possible!

FT

because I live in FL and really not that into beaches, island gazing,etc...like port intensive vacations....so that was how I made my choice...what you like to do and where you live....chose SD after seeing it on Travel Channel as one of their favorite small ship cruises,,,then saw an article in Conde Naste saying same...love the yacht like look...and really HOPE its all I expect...leave in 2 wks to Dubrovnik and Venice....this website has really helped in making my decision...ask away,,,,lots of info....:D

DJ's DH and I have only sailed the Caribbean on SD but look forward to sailing SD in the Med in a season or two.

As others have said nobody does the Caribbean better than SD.

DJ's DH and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in the Caribbean on SD last year and it was absolutely perfect. Here is a link to the trip report if you are interested ... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=949045&highlight=

The vibe in the Caribbean on SD is definitely laid back.

Either way you can't go wrong:D

We have sailed SD in Mexico, the Med, and the Caribbean. All very enjoyable. One constant to remember, SeaDream useage is very weather dependent. I noted the weather issues in my Med review from 2007. Weather tends to be nice in the Caribbean. (Not always, but usually) The Med can be iffy if you start too soon or wait too late in the season. The Blue Boats get rather confining if you are not able to use the wonderful outdoor spaces. Try it-betcha like it!:D

Jim.

Archived