Do we need a birth certificate if child has passport?

nessz79

Hi everyone- this is our first time cruising with our boys. They are 5 and 7 years old and just got their first passports last week. Do we also need to bring their birth certificates, or are passports enough identification? We are sailing on Carnival Destiny to Key West and Cozumel out of Miami. Thank you!

Passport is all you need, when you don't have passport often a birthcertificate is required

Hi everyone- this is our first time cruising with our boys. They are 5 and 7 years old and just got their first passports last week. Do we also need to bring their birth certificates, or are passports enough identification? We are sailing on Carnival Destiny to Key West and Cozumel out of Miami. Thank you!

It has been recommended to us that if both parents don't have the same last name, then take the children's long form birth certificate that lists both parents names just in case officials want to confirm parentage. Otherwise the passports are sufficient. It tends to be more of issue when crossing borders to get to the port, rather than when checking in.

You do not need your child's birth certificate. I will confess I do take a small billfold size copy of it with me as a security blanket.

I might do the same- I'm so paranoid/nervous when it comes to these things.

Archived