Quebec - What are the Don't Miss?

We will be arriving in Quebec in late October for 2 days. I haven't found too much reference listed here to take and therefore asking for advice on what are the don't miss things to see and any private tours that are good?

We overnighted on the Eurodam last fall before heading out on a 14day Canada New England cruise and found plenty to see and do just in Quebec City. QC is a great place to just walk around, there are so many places to explore within walking distance of the ship. It is a great place, with many wonderful little cafes, restaurants and shops, not to mention very scenic. I am sure you will find plenty just by walking up and down streets.

We will be arriving in Quebec in late October for 2 days. I haven't found too much reference listed here to take and therefore asking for advice on what are the don't miss things to see and any private tours that are good?

If you are going to be there 2 days, you will have time to do a half day tour and walk the town. What ever you want to do. If you want a good "all around" countryside tour, we used this company last Oct. Went to several scenic places, including the waterfall. It was nice and they pick up in several locations.

https://www.toursvieuxquebec.com/en

If it's not in English, click on Old Quebec Tours. Then go to City and Country Tours. See their selections. We were on the A Fabulous Country Tour.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are there 2 days, the falls are really worth it. I live in Montreal and we go to Quebec city ( 3 hrs drive) at least once a year. We always go to the falls. You can take a cab there. spend 1/2 day, and get a cab back.

Most people would disagree since it's expensive, but we really enjoyed the carriage ride through Vieux Quebec. Our driver was really interesting and knowledgable about the history and points of interest. We were there in mid October when it was really cold (snowed). They supplied us with three warm blankets to huddle under. I have limited mobility so it was the best way for us to see Vieux Quebec, but we enjoyed it so much we would have done it anyway.

Most people would disagree since it's expensive, but we really enjoyed the carriage ride through Vieux Quebec. Our driver was really interesting and knowledgable about the history and points of interest. We were there in mid October when it was really cold (snowed). They supplied us with three warm blankets to huddle under. I have limited mobility so it was the best way for us to see Vieux Quebec, but we enjoyed it so much we would have done it anyway.

What is expensive? And that is the time we will be there so I figured to prepare for cold weather.

Last year we spent a week in a time-share just outside Quebec City.Have you considered visting Canyon Ste. Anne approx. 30 min. east of the city? It is open until the 3rd week in October and we enjoyed the falls there much more than Montmorency...prettier and far less commercial. If you won't have a car, the website of Canyon Ste. Anne mentions a tour that is available from the city. The site is canonsa dot qc dot ca.

Last year we spent a week in a time-share just outside Quebec City.Have you considered visting Canyon Ste. Anne approx. 30 min. east of the city? It is open until the 3rd week in October and we enjoyed the falls there much more than Montmorency...prettier and far less commercial. If you won't have a car, the website of Canyon Ste. Anne mentions a tour that is available from the city. The site is canonsa dot qc dot ca.

Wow...looks nice but we don't have at Quebec City until after they close of course. Thanks for the info.

Thanks so much for everyone's help. It looks like we will use one day walking around the city and another day on a tour taking in the falls and Isle of Orleans (if that is worth seeing).

Yes, it is worth it. The tour company I referenced before made several stops on the island and it's all nice.

Yes thank you for their name as we will go with them. Pricing is good as well as the choices of tours.

You will have a wonderful time. Viator offers tours, too, if you want to check them out. Haven't used them in Quebec City, but have used them in Amsterdam, and they give a good tour, too.

• 1 month later...
If you are there 2 days, the falls are really worth it. I live in Montreal and we go to Quebec city ( 3 hrs drive) at least once a year. We always go to the falls. You can take a cab there. spend 1/2 day, and get a cab back.

What is the cab fare from Quebec City to the falls?

I am wondering if it might be less expensive (2 adults) to take a cab to the falls and back rather than renting a car (approx. $50 for a rental car plus parking fee at falls, $9.50). Of course if we have a car, we could drive around Ile d' Orleans also.

My first choice would be to spend the two days in QC. Second choice would be to rent the car and go to Ile d'Orleans.

Since we have been to QC previously, we'll spend our first day in the city and get a rental car for the second day. Have you been to M. Falls? ....it doesn't seem to impress some visitors. Do you have any recomemdations for Ile d'Orleans?....we like nature, natural sites, art, and cultural spots.

• 3 weeks later...

You should go uptown and see the surrounding area of Parliament Hill. Lots of restaurants, history and nightlife and very close to the Plaines of Abraham.

http://www.quebecregion.com/en/what_to_do/tours/parliament_hill_and_surrounding_area?a=vis

The Plaines of Abraham and the Citadelle are a must see. This is where it all started in 1759 with the confrontation between the British Army and Navy, and the French Army.

http://www.ccbn-nbc.gc.ca/

http://www.lacitadelle.qc.ca/en.html

The Changing of the Guard is worth it.

You should go uptown and see the surrounding area of Parliament Hill. Lots of restaurants, history and nightlife and very close to the Plaines of Abraham.

http://www.quebecregion.com/en/what_to_do/tours/parliament_hill_and_surrounding_area?a=vis

The Plaines of Abraham and the Citadelle are a must see. This is where it all started in 1759 with the confrontation between the British Army and Navy, and the French Army.

http://www.ccbn-nbc.gc.ca/

http://www.lacitadelle.qc.ca/en.html

The Changing of the Guard is worth it.

Actually, it all started 151 years earlier in 1608 when Champlain established his "habitation" in what is now the lower town and founded what became the city of Québec. There is much history to the city before the British conquest of 1759.

Actually, it all started 151 years earlier in 1608 when Champlain established his "habitation" in what is now the lower town and founded what became the city of Québec. There is much history to the city before the British conquest of 1759.

I was referrig to the Battle of the Plaines of Abraham that would change the Canadian history.

Since I first posted this we changed ships which now we only have early evening after we board the ship and the following day with onboard time at 4 pm. I think we will go to what we can in the lower town that evening as long as it is safe?

Upper town will be the next day. Time will go fast.

So big question is how safe is it for 2 women to go walking around the streets of Lower Town at night before 10 pm and what time do the shops close?

Since I first posted this we changed ships which now we only have early evening after we board the ship and the following day with onboard time at 4 pm. I think we will go to what we can in the lower town that evening as long as it is safe?

Upper town will be the next day. Time will go fast.

So big question is how safe is it for 2 women to go walking around the streets of Lower Town at night before 10 pm and what time do the shops close?

Do not worry about safety. The Old part of Quebec City is very safe even after midnight. Quebec City is one of the safest places I know. I suggest that you also take a walk around the area where City Hall is. It is still inside the Walls and very European. Don't miss Rue du Trésor. They sell paintings/drawings on the street and they are really nice. I once went to an art auction on a cruise ship and they were selling pieces coming from that street. Also, the Château Frontenac is a must. Go and have a drink, coffe or tea. I don't know about the stores hours in the fall but in the summer time they are open until very late in the evening even on Sundays.

Archived