Tips to avoid getting sick onboard (including norwalk virus)?

ALadyNCal

We leave next week for our cruise. In someone's review, they stated that both NCL and Celebrity ships had the Norwalk virus recently on the South American itineraries.

I thought I would ask everyone -- What is your best tip for staying healthy onboard? How to avoid colds, flu, and virus outbreaks? On all cruises -- not just South America.

My first thought is to judiciously wash your hands. What other precautions can everyone take during their cruise?

You've already got the primary way of avoiding viruses. And remember its a virus, not a bacterial infection. Sooooo, the use of antibacterial products won't have much effect. If you start thinking you may have Norwalk, see the Dr and stay in your cabin using room service. You'll feel better in about 48 hours. Drink lots of liquids.

Hi,

Don't really think there is much you can do to prevent this as it did effect

a large percentage of the Celebrity Infinity passengers. My husband got it and

I got it as well. The ship provided us with complimentary medical

service and medication during the cruise. Contradictory advice that was given

was not helpful. We had to provide a list of all foods eaten 2 days before symptoms started up till day the diarrhea started. Where we consumed

every meal etc. Worst than a final exam to try and recall everything you

consumed. Lots of our friends were sick also. With so many people in a

confined space its just hard to control. The smell of bleach on handrails and

elevators was an attempt to stop the spread along with gloved hands

on servers at the buffet counter. Our next cruise will be on a smaller ship

with a shorter cruise time.

Take a can of clorox wipes and wipe down the surface areas of your cabin - it doesn't take long and it will only be your germs after that - washing the hands is the most important thing. Don't forget the phone and the remote.

Marilou

Take a can of clorox wipes and wipe down the surface areas of your cabin - it doesn't take long and it will only be your germs after that - washing the hands is the most important thing. Don't forget the phone and the remote.

Marilou

Good suggestion. I think I have something like those already in the house that I can toss in :)

I found tiny bottles of Purell at WalMart in the Health/Beauty Dept where they have small travel products. They have a little hook on them that you can attach to a belt loop, lanyard, or to carry in your purse. Once we sat down at the table, whether it was at the buffet or in the dining room, we'd put a squirt or two on our hands. We had a larger bottle in our room that we would add to the little bottles when they got low.

Even when you wash your hands real well before going to eat, once you've used the utensils to put the food on your plate you may have already contaminated your hands so using the Purell once we sat down was just an added precaution.

Like others have stated on various threads regarding the virus, it still amazes me the number of people who do not wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I was constantly washing my hands and doing the Purell thing on our last cruise.

I NEVER use the serving fork or spoon etc. in the Buffet lines. I always use my silverware to serve myself. You never know who the last person was that touched it .

I also use the papertowel I dry my hands with to open the door when leaving a public restroom on the ship or anywhere else public for that matter.

How about the salt and pepper shakers while dining in the main dining room? Even in restaurants I always use the Purell after touching the shakers. On one cruise, one man coughed, sneezed, blew his nose, etc. and passed the salt!

We were on the Infinity in SA when so much sickness went around, and it was not fun.

Grace

I take a small can of Lysol spray and the instant I get into the room, I spray all surfaces and let it air dry. Especially the bathroom. The people that have been confined to thier rooms spend the most time in the bathroom! This also helps prevent athletes foot, etc. I also use the purell faithfully like everyone else.

Missyal

On the Galaxy in January, they had "self-serve" machines at the buffets and dining room with a solution in it that was supposed to ward off Norwalk. I used it regularly.

I also did the purell wipes trick in the cabin, on the second day! LOL!

But, thankfully, we did not get even a sniffle travelling with 6 adults and 2 young children.

Marilou

It will be only your germs until the cabin steward enters your room. Since they don't glove, or wash their hands between cabins, they transfer the pathogens from cabin to cabin. They make up your neighbour's bed, dust, moving their possessions, move to the next cabin (yours perhaps), make up that bed, dust etc. I know. I watched them do it on Morco polo which was the first time I entertained a GI (NORO LIKE) attack, and again on Xpedition. They simply do not understand how they can be the problem, if they wash their own hands after using the toilet. None of these people are sophisticated about the need for absolute "breaks" between each cabin or area. I even watched a doctor enter my very contaminated cabin with bare hands. He refused to go to get his gloves, saying to me" The gloves are in the clinic." I answered, "But the virus is in here!" He just shrugged. I watched him walk down the hall, touching the walls and railings as he left, after examining me. We passengers are doing our best to protect our vacation investments as well as our health, but the cruise lines are not willing to educate their staff. So no matter how clean we are, until the crew also get with the program, we can't prevent this from spreading once it's on a ship. It's a risk we take. I've been lucky to only get this twice on vacation, but I have caught it several times at home. Schools and hospitals and office buildings are also rife with it.

I actually called an RCI rep this week to ask about cancelling our cruise on 2/14 if our ship came down with such a virus this week or next, etc. She said when she cruises, she always brings her own towels from home and never uses the ones on the ship. She also sprays/cleans her room with a powerful cleaning solution available in Jamaica, but not here in the states.

I also think bringing your own liquid soap from home to keep in the cabin is helpful, because if I recall, the soap they provide is bar soap.

Good to read tips and get everyone's opinions.

Besides our cruise in South America being a big/expensive trip for us, our parents traveling with us are 65-75 and I would really, really hate for one of them to get ill on this cruise or on arrival home.

I still have 4 days to do my packing. Now I have some ideas on things to go out and add to the list ;)

I am afraid to say but it is not the cruise lines that are at fault but the PASSENGERS. How many times do you go to the bathroom and then see people walking out without washing their hands etc. Please if you see this SAY SOMETHING. We find that not holding on to handrails, if you have the virus on board., helps. I know this is not to be done but it certainly helps.

Also we wash hands at every oporunity.

The poster that said cabin stewards do no wear gloves etc when cleaning, then she certainly has not sailed on Celebrity becuase we notice that they always do this. Perhaps it was her cabin steward/ess that did not wear gloves but the majority do.

Remember to wash wash and wash again those hands and try not to touch your mouth or nose once washed.

1. Wash your hands a million times a day with soap. When leaving public rooms, use a paper towel if you have to touch a door handle. In general never touch bathroom door handles!!

2. Eat in the dining room as often as you can where less people get near the food.

3. If you have to go to the buffet, go early so the food isnt all sneezed on and talked over and touched. If you are early when the stuff is put out there is less chance it is tainted.

4. On the Zenith they had wet clean devices by the dining room and buffet so you could squirt this stuff on your hands before meals.

We follow these rules and have never caught a cold, flu or a stomach virus while cruising.

idssms with the flu in fl

Using the hand towel from the restroom to open the door, then lay it on the waiter station as we walk by or toss in his dirty linen rack. No doors to open tothe dining room & olur hands are clean. Purell makes my hand peel, so I don't use it, just spray Lysol around the door handles, toiler, shower, even the bed to make sure the qooties are gone.................

Last Sept we had a lady at a table behind my husband who kept sneezing close to 20 times a meal. I told her to aim it elsewhere as we didn't want the germ to the point I brought the Lysol with me to spray her. She didn't show that night. Sure enough, last night husband caught her cold. Luckily room service has hote peppers with hot tea & honey that was delivered, husband ate a few peppers & it cleared out his stuffed nose and the tea relaxed him & he slept good.

I NEVER use the serving fork or spoon etc. in the Buffet lines. I always use my silverware to serve myself. You never know who the last person was that touched it .

I also use the papertowel I dry my hands with to open the door when leaving a public restroom on the ship or anywhere else public for that matter.

I have some great stuff called 'HandClens'. It's an instant sanitizing spray by Woodward Laboratories. (I got mine from Magellans http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___SanitationKR392?Args= ) It comes in a lipstick-sized bottle with 150 sprays. I'm taking a bunch of bottles for our Infinity cruise around the Horn next week.

But based on the posts here, I'm going to need a few more things. Here's my shopping list so far:

Chlorox wipes

Imodium

Cold pills

Lysol

Vitamin C, Antioxidants and Multi Vitamins

Powdered Wasabi (I like this better than hot peppers!)

--Marne

I had Norwalk on a cruise February last year. I got it and had a flu shot, hubby didn't have a flu shot and didn't get it. I am the one who is constantly washing her hands, not hubby. Go figure.

One thing I learned later is that the CDC (because I e-mailed them questions) says a primary carrier of virus's such as Norwalk is uncooked food, the worst of which is salad. Boy, did I eat a lot of salad on that cruise. DH and I also ate a lot in the buffet, much more so than on any other cruise. After I was better we stopped eating at the buffet.

This year we're on a 16 day cruise in October. I plan to eat more in the dinning room.

Boy, did I eat a lot of salad on that cruise. DH and I also ate a lot in the buffet, much more so than on any other cruise. After I was better we stopped eating at the buffet.

Now I am glad my family and I eat 98% of our meals in the dining room, breakfast, lunch and dinner. We only eat buffet lunch or breakfast if it was unavoidable because of an excursion or something like that.

Anne Maria

Great ideas! Bath and Body (?) in most malls, now carry an antibacterial wipe that smells nice and provides a little lotion. Its a small container and you can wipe your hands anywhere even on excursions. I read somewhere here that a person used those lysol wipes to wipe down their bathroom and furniture when they got in the room...sounds like a good idea. I always see Celebrity employees cleaning and I have never been sick on a cruise but you never know what someone will carry on with them and being sick on a cruise is just BAD.

Archived