A Day in Halifax vs. A Day in Mahone Bay and Lunenburg

We will be in Halifax on Tuesday, October 5 from 9 - 5. I have spent hours and hours preparing for our "walking" day in the city of Halifax. But now I am reading all of these great postings about renting a car and driving to Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. I've got to admit that some of the descriptions of driving along the South Shore sound fantastic and typical of what we would anticipate Nova Scotia to be like, and now I'm really puzzled as to how to spend our day. City vs. coastal fishing villages? We have never been to Halifax, so I really don't know which way to go. Renting a car and driving is not a problem so long as we have time to visit the South Shore properly AND make it back to the ship before she sails! I figure that it would be at least 9:30 a.m. before we are on the road, and we would probably need to get back to drop the car off in Halifax by 4:00 p.m. (a total of 6-1/2 hours maximum.) If you can, please put me out of this misery of not knowing which way to go. What should we do? City (stay in Halifax) vs. South Shore coast and fishing villages (Mahone Bay and Lunenburg?)

Thanks for your help.

Shelley:confused:

Whichever way you go, you're not going to be disappointed. If you've already spent hours and hours planning your day in Halifax, I'd probably stick with that. Come back another time, then you can check out Mahone Bay & Lunenburg.

The trip along the south shore is pretty and there are lots of history in Lunenburg but you're going to be spending about 3 hours of your time in a vehicle. Halifax is a great little city with lots of offer, beautiful waterfront, lots of green spaces throughout the city, plenty of history, culture, shopping and good food.

Just pick the one that appeals to you the most, either way you'll miss out on something, just accept the fact you can't do it all in one visit.

If you've never been to Nova Scotia, and you've done all that planning, stick with Halifax. You can always come back!

If you have time, try and take the brewery tour at Alexander Keith's in Halifax. Very entertaining!

Address is:

The Brewery Market

1496 Lower Water Street

Halifax

Hi,

I am from Nova Scotia and lived in Dartmouth across the harbour from Halifax. My advise your first time is to see Halifax - walk the waterfront etc. It is a fantastic city and you will not be disappointed. Enjoy, if you you like seafood their is plenty restaurants to try on the waterfront, Mckelvies; Salty's. Also there are dinner theaters alone the waterfront that are always fun to do. Enjoy your cruise it is my favorite thing to do, next stop South America 2011

Archived