question about local time

zula

Hi,

I will be on the B2B cruise end of november on ms Ryndam cruising the Western Caribbean. When reading on the ports of call board I read that many had problems with the difference between the time aboard the ship and the local time in the port of call. On the two cruises I went with HAL I never had a problem with the time onboard being different from the local time, the time was sometimes ajusted overnight if needed. So is this something specific for the western caribbean or do other cruising companies not adjust their 'onboard' time to the local time. Just wondering, because it can be important when booking local tours.

thanks for any answers

Regards,

Sonja

With very few exceptions, HAL adjusts ship time to local time. We had no such cases in the Western Caribbean. In fact in 10 HAL cruises we've never been to a port where ship tiime differed from local.

I'm not going to say it doesn't happen but it has never happened to us. Ship's time and local time have always been the same for our cruises in the Caribbean and we've been to pretty much the full set of itineraries over 7 cruises in the Caribbean. "Never say never" so there probably are or have been exceptions that other people have experienced. I'd think it very rare and a little attention to the various notices you'll see on time changes on the cruise will serve you well.

I have seen on a number of occasions where HAL has not matched Local time in Puerto Vallerta, Mexico but all other ports were adjusted for.
That's one of the two places that I know about where it's done regularly. The reason for that, I believe, is that the Mountain/Central time zone split runs right along the river, so depending on which time zone your excursion took you into you could have a different local time from the ship no matter which the ship used!

Archived