Passport needed?

Me and hubby have US passport, 3 of our children do not. Live in fl. And taking a 7 day freedom cruise for Thanksgiving. Cruised many times and they keep pushing back the deadline for "must have passport".. I know they "should" have a passport ( just in case), but is it required? Keep getting differ answers from TAs who should know, looked at Gov website also can't get my brain around that one.

The passport question is on a lot of threads. They way it was explained to us is if it is a closed circuit cruise, you sail from and return to the same port, you do not need a passport, only picture ID and a birth certificate. Your TA should know this. Look on RCI website and it may be explained there.

Me and hubby have US passport, 3 of our children do not. Live in fl. And taking a 7 day freedom cruise for Thanksgiving. Cruised many times and they keep pushing back the deadline for "must have passport".. I know they "should" have a passport ( just in case), but is it required? Keep getting differ answers from TAs who should know, looked at Gov website also can't get my brain around that one.

As long as you are US citizens and taking a cruise that is closed loop, meaning leaving and returning to the same US port then a birth certificate, state certified copy and a photo id for over age 16 then you are good to go.

We had to show our passports when we took our Eastern Caribbean cruise (in 2005). It left from Miami and returned to Miami. But we stopped in the Bahamas our first stop, then our next stop was a US Virgin Island (St. Thomas) so we had to all go downstairs to the theater to show our passport. I think it's better to be safe than sorry...passports don't take as long anymore to get (as when I got mine in 2005 when they started talking about tighter restrictions)

We had to show our passports when we took our Eastern Caribbean cruise (in 2005). It left from Miami and returned to Miami. But we stopped in the Bahamas our first stop, then our next stop was a US Virgin Island (St. Thomas) so we had to all go downstairs to the theater to show our passport. I think it's better to be safe than sorry...passports don't take as long anymore to get (as when I got mine in 2005 when they started talking about tighter restrictions)

If you are a U.S. citizen, you should not have HAD TO show your PASSPORT. You probably had to show some form of ID and the passport was what you had with you so that is what you showed. A passport IS NOT required for a closed loop cruise. If all you had was your birth certificate and a photo ID, that would have sufficed.

You didn't have to show your passport. You could have showed your certified birth certificate and photo ID instead. (Children under 16 do not need photo ID)

Whenever I read a thread on this subject I am amazed how people put so much concern into needing a passport. If they just went out and got one they would not have to worry. Is it the cost?

Maybe it is easier to get a fake birth certificate and photo ID than a fake passport.:eek:

Every time I see a thread here on CC regarding Passports, my first thought is, "Here we go again." The above posters pretty much said it all ... "closed loop cruise", then "No a passport is not necessary" if you're a US citizen, however the proof of citizenship that you bring has to be State Certified (Raised Seal is the norm in the NJ / NY/ CT tri state area).

I'm just waiting for the day that the US State Department finally rules that it's got to be "Passport Only" ... it just seems to make sense considering the times that we live in now-a-days. However, being the pragmatist that I am ... I suspect that the pressure that would be put to bare from the CLIA and other interest groups has me believe that rule will never come to be...which means we'll be seeing more threads going forward regarding "are passports required ...?"

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

This is what the Royal Caribbean website has to say:

Q: Are there any special requirements for visiting international ports?

A: There are two things to keep in mind when traveling internationally:

Passports/Visas

U.S. Citizens will need valid passports in order to leave and enter the United States. Non U.S. Citizens will need valid passports and sometimes visas, as well as any other travel documentation required by the governments of the countries on the itinerary. For visas/inoculations, please check with your travel agent, government agencies, embassies or consulates, your physician local health department or the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's Traveler's Health website to determine travel and health documentary requirements.

This may sound very stupid, but do you need to bring a marriage license to show legal proof of last name change from birth certificate to drivers license???

If your name on your birth certificate doesn't match the name on your ID, I would recommend bringing the marriage license. However, I only travel with my passport and photo ID internationally, and both use my married name. It's easier just to have the passport.

On an unrelated note, the only time I'm ever asked to provide my green card is when I travel on RCI...I'm a U.S. citizen, so the request makes me laugh. I guess they assume that because my husband is a Canadian with a green card, I must be as well. :p

Every time I see a thread here on CC regarding Passports, my first thought is, "Here we go again." The above posters pretty much said it all ... "closed loop cruise", then "No a passport is not necessary" if you're a US citizen, however the proof of citizenship that you bring has to be State Certified (Raised Seal is the norm in the NJ / NY/ CT tri state area).

I'm just waiting for the day that the US State Department finally rules that it's got to be "Passport Only" ... it just seems to make sense considering the times that we live in now-a-days. However, being the pragmatist that I am ... I suspect that the pressure that would be put to bare from the CLIA and other interest groups has me believe that rule will never come to be...which means we'll be seeing more threads going forward regarding "are passports required ...?"

Michael

Your observations are spot on. When the latest phase of the WHTI went into effect in June, 2009 it was titled as the final ruling on WHTI meaning that there were no more planned changes. That rule included the exception for "closed loop" cruises for US citizens. And yes the cruise lines lobbied hard to get that exception written in.

Your observations are spot on. When the latest phase of the WHTI went into effect in June, 2009 it was titled as the final ruling on WHTI meaning that there were no more planned changes. That rule included the exception for "closed loop" cruises for US citizens. And yes the cruise lines lobbied hard to get that exception written in.

What happens if the cruise itinerary changes and the disembarking port is no longer the embarking port? Or even more complicated, the cruise terminates at a foreign port? How does one re-enter the USA then without a passport?

IMO, I would just get a passport. Once you cruise you are going to want to go again. They last for several years (adults longer the children) and one book is easier than several pieces of paper. We went to the trouble to get them for our children years ago. It may cost a little, but I figure pay a little now or perhaps pay alot later.

And on another thought, we carry our passports when we leave the ship. I assume there might be a greater risk of needing them when we were off the ship.

I would rather have it and not need it than not have it and have to depend on it.:eek:

Once you have a passport it is simple to renew.

Archived