San Diego & Wine ?

DP

If you are not looking for high end wine, you can purchase some at either the small shop inside the Holiday Inn on the Bay (across the street from the pier) or the RiteAid drugstore on Ash street (about 3 blocks away).

If you want something more interesting, take the San Diego Trolley to the first Convention Center stop and walk over to the Cost Plus World Market (372 4th Avenue, tel.619-236-1737‎), or to one of the specialty wine shops downtown (see below), or to Ralph's supermarket (101 G Street). If you walk the whole way to the latter, it is about 10-12 blocks one way, so a pedicab or a cab may be a good idea if you plan to purchase a lot.

San Diego Wine and Culinary Center

200 Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA‎

(619) 231-6400

The Wine Bank

363 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA‎

(619) 234-7487

Wine Steals

793 J Street

San Diego, CA 92101

(619) 255-7452‎

Bacchus Wine Market

647 G Street

San Diego, CA 92101-7028

(619) 236-0005

In Little Italy (just a few blocks from the pier) there is this spot:

Tango Wine Company

2161 India Street, San Diego, CA 92101

(619) 564-7700‎

If you want to go to Trader Joe's, there is one at Liberty Station just west of the airport (the pier is east and south). You would need to take a cab there and back.

• 4 months later...

We will be on a 2 week Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego on Holland America (allowing us to bring all the wine we want :)). We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown (7th Ave and Ash) the night before. We are thinking of bring a case of wine on board. Any good wine store within walking distance of the hotel and can package the wine well enough for us to bring it on board as a carry-on?

We have sailed out of San Diego the last 2 years. We always buy our wine at Ralph's Supermarket at 101 G Street. They have a good selection and if you signup for their frequent shopper card (free), you get 10% if you buy 6 or more bottles of wine. It is about 1 mile from the pier

We always fly in the day before. On day of cruise we buy our wine and then take a cab from our hotel to the pier bringing our wine and luggage with us.

Jeff at Bacchus Wine told me via e-mail that they will deliver to the pier depending on how much wine is ordered. I haven't yet clarified exactly how much wine one needs to order for delivery but this would be very convenient if you will not be spending time in San Diego prior to cruising. They are even open on Sunday, December 26th (the day we leave on our cruise) and will deliver that day. Hope that this helps.

Jeff at Bacchus Wine told me via e-mail that they will deliver to the pier depending on how much wine is ordered. I haven't yet clarified exactly how much wine one needs to order for delivery but this would be very convenient if you will not be spending time in San Diego prior to cruising. They are even open on Sunday, December 26th (the day we leave on our cruise) and will deliver that day. Hope that this helps.

This is very helpful to know. Do you know what type of wine they typically carry? I tried their website but the "shop" icon was down. I will include them as one of my shopping stops before we cruise.

If you go to Ralph's grocery or to the RiteAid, they have cloth six pack wine bags free with your purchase that would work for carrying the wine. Both places have a pretty good selection of all price ranges.

This would work well at RiteAid since it is only about 5 minutes walk from my hotel. I think there is a CVS nearby as well and hope they will have similar bag and good selection. :)

• 2 months later...
We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown (7th Ave and Ash) the night before. We are thinking of bring a case of wine on board. Any good wine store within walking distance of the hotel and can package the wine well enough for us to bring it on board as a carry-on?

A case?? Isn't there a pp limit? :confused:

Holland America does not set a limit on how much wine you can bring on board. This includes champagne as well.

To the original poster: on our last cruise we took a taxi to the pier, dropped off our luggage and then walked to the Rite Aid. It was about a 5 block walk- not bad at all. I believe it is on the corner of Ash and Kettner. We brought a rolling luggage cart and bought soda and wine and wheeled it back to the pier. Rite Aid had a surprisingly good selection of wine to choose from. Happy Cruising!:)

Holland America does not set a limit on how much wine you can bring on board. This includes champagne as well.

:)

We're going to cruise on Celebrity for the first time. I think they only allow one bottle of wine pp.

We usually cruise on RCCL and they do not allow any liquor to be carried on!

Archived