Just found new nail revolution!

cje19

I just discovered a wonderful type of manicure called Shellac. I forget who the company is that came out with this. It is supposed to last for at least two weeks. Comparable with gels but doesn't damage the nails as much and takes minutes to remove. I was worried it would be very expensive but the only salon in the area that has it charges 30$ for it. I can't wait to try it for my october cruise considering my cousin is getting married two days before we go and now I don't have to worry about my nails. This is Fantastic and I hope it will wear as well on my toes so I don't have to worry about chips.

Look it up, it's so worth it.

I just discovered a wonderful type of manicure called Shellac. I forget who the company is that came out with this. It is supposed to last for at least two weeks. Comparable with gels but doesn't damage the nails as much and takes minutes to remove. I was worried it would be very expensive but the only salon in the area that has it charges 30$ for it. I can't wait to try it for my october cruise considering my cousin is getting married two days before we go and now I don't have to worry about my nails. This is Fantastic and I hope it will wear as well on my toes so I don't have to worry about chips.

Look it up, it's so worth it.

I bite my nails down to nothing. So every once in a while I go get my nails done. Thats when I realize just how FAST my nails grow. This shellac sounds wonderful. Except that my problem is never that the polish doesn't last but rather my nails grow so fast that in less than a week and a half there is a huge gap at the nail bed and the nails are lifting already. I wonder if this process would be any better??

Shellac is made by CND (Creative Nail Design). It's a fantastic product - it really does what it says on the label. I'm a nail tech, and I know a lot of techs who've been putting this stuff to the test (especially as our hands are in chemicals all day) and they can't say enough about it.

Thanks for giving a great product the heads-up... everyone I've told about this is so excited to have a new option rather than polish or coloured gel.

I bite my nails down to nothing. So every once in a while I go get my nails done. Thats when I realize just how FAST my nails grow. This shellac sounds wonderful. Except that my problem is never that the polish doesn't last but rather my nails grow so fast that in less than a week and a half there is a huge gap at the nail bed and the nails are lifting already. I wonder if this process would be any better??

Mine are going on 2 weeks and they look fabulous. I have a French so the new growth isn't noticeable. No lifting or chipping either. I think I will actually get 3 weeks from this. Next week before I get my nails done, I may put a topcoat on to see what happens.

My manicurist told me yesterday they are having good results with the Shellac product. It's healthier for your nails than gel, since they don't need to file your natural nail. She also said they like the product a lot more than OPI Axxium, I had asked her about that earlier and she said "don't bother".

The downside is that they are charging more for it than gel nails and I didn't ask why. The process sounds faster, since there is no filing. I'm thinking maybe the product cost is higher??? I know the product needs curing under the lamps like gel nails.

I may ask her to use it on one nail to see how well it works for me. She did say that I may have trouble with the Shellac due to my work (I have to wash my hands and disinfect often), gel does lift on me occasionally.

The product cost is higher, and you have to use a special UV lamp - most nail techs are having to buy a new lamp to accommodate it as a regular gel lamp won't work. And the lamps aren't cheap :eek:

Still, I'm finding people don't mind paying for something that actually works :) Gel polish can be a huge pain - it can look thick, it requires filing of the nail plate to get it to adhere, and it's time consuming to remove. Shellac is none of those things, so the advantages are big. Plus, as it's new, the prices will probably go down when it's not the hottest thing on the block.

sharod So glad I found this thread!!! I may stop by Cosmoprof and pick one up. It will be interesting to see how it lasts on my nails.

Sharod, are you a nail tech? I can't vouch for every state, but you may need to hold a nail technician certification to purchase this. If you are, definately make sure you are using either the new Shellac lamp (which are out of stock :( ) or a CND Brisa lamp - no other lamp will cure it properly and it will wrinkle or slide off.) Your clients will go mad for it!

I have tried both and I prefer the axxium since I am really hard on my nails and it holds up better for me. Axxium doesn't need to be filled. She just soaks it off and starts over. There is minimal filing - really just a buff. I think the axxium is a tad bit thicker then the shellac but not that much. I haven't noticed any odor from either product. If I didn't work in the yard or have my hands in water so much I would go with the Shellac but for me I am going to stay with the axxium for now.

sharod So glad I found this thread!!! I may stop by Cosmoprof and pick one up. It will be interesting to see how it lasts on my nails.

Sharod, are you a nail tech? I can't vouch for every state, but you may need to hold a nail technician certification to purchase this. If you are, definately make sure you are using either the new Shellac lamp (which are out of stock :( ) or a CND Brisa lamp - no other lamp will cure it properly and it will wrinkle or slide off.) Your clients will go mad for it!

I am a licensed cosmetologist, but don't work as one. I actually assist a pediatrician. Just stopped by Cosmoprof. They have it, but only about 4 colors. No top or base coat. So popular, people are traveling over an hour to buy it. I asked if I needed a special UV lamp, they said no:confused:?!?!?!? I will have to ask another employee and see if I get a different answer.

Hi Sharon :)

You probably will need a new lamp. So many techs I know have experimented with this and while the product might seem cured, it doesn't last the full two weeks. If the product isn't cured properly, you can run into overexposure problems, allergies and product breakdown. It has to be a Brisa/Shellac lamp, or *possibly* a LE (Light Elegance) lamp. All the other lamps are not set at a high enough level to cure the Shellac.

The Cosmoprof rep was uninformed. Check out the BeautyTech.com boards if you want to see the raging discussions on this topic :)

Unfortunately, the new Shellac lamps are hard to come by - they were massively underordered, and the new shipments haven't arrived yet. The Brisa lamps, which have been out for years, WILL do the same job. Demand is overwhelming, which would explain the lack of stock in Cosmoprof.

Neither Shellac or Axxium have a discernable smell, but one should still work safe with any nail product. Shellac isn't meant to be filled either - you soak it off after two weeks and start again.

It's still a great product though - all the techs I know are really happy with it, and it's exciting when a nail product gets as much press and media attention as this!

Hi Sharon :)

You probably will need a new lamp. So many techs I know have experimented with this and while the product might seem cured, it doesn't last the full two weeks. If the product isn't cured properly, you can run into overexposure problems, allergies and product breakdown. It has to be a Brisa/Shellac lamp, or *possibly* a LE (Light Elegance) lamp. All the other lamps are not set at a high enough level to cure the Shellac.

The Cosmoprof rep was uninformed. Check out the BeautyTech.com boards if you want to see the raging discussions on this topic :)

Unfortunately, the new Shellac lamps are hard to come by - they were massively underordered, and the new shipments haven't arrived yet. The Brisa lamps, which have been out for years, WILL do the same job. Demand is overwhelming, which would explain the lack of stock in Cosmoprof.

Neither Shellac or Axxium have a discernable smell, but one should still work safe with any nail product. Shellac isn't meant to be filled either - you soak it off after two weeks and start again.

It's still a great product though - all the techs I know are really happy with it, and it's exciting when a nail product gets as much press and media attention as this!

Thank you very much for the info!!!! I will check out the lamps. I am in no hurry. I just called another beauty supply and they also have no base or top coat!!! Must be popular:eek:!!!

I've had the OPI Axxium, which is similar to the Shellac, and I loved it. It did last about 2 weeks.

Did the OPI Axxium manicure and while I loved how it lasted for the three weeks at a time for me, I absolutely hate how it tore up my natural nails. It has taken 3 months for me to get back to my "before" nail status...... Never again.

Did the OPI Axxium manicure and while I loved how it lasted for the three weeks at a time for me, I absolutely hate how it tore up my natural nails. It has taken 3 months for me to get back to my "before" nail status...... Never again.

Blonde375 - I'm sorry your nails had such a bad time. It can be really painful.

A lot of this can depend on how heavy-handed the technician is, rather than the product. Over-filing can cause that sort of damage, and many techs use too much force rather than just the gentle buffing needed before application.

If anyone out there has damaged "post enhancement" nails, it will take some loving care to get your nails into shape. GENTLY buff the surface with a fine buffer, not too much, and apply a good cuticle oil (something like Solar Oil, but there are others available) several times a day over the first day or two. You should see an improvement at this stage. You can apply polish at this point, but make sure you are protecting your nail with a good base coat first. Continue with the cuticle oil every day, even with polish on (it won't hurt your polish). Avoid any more buffing until the nail surface has healed as you'll just make it thinner. Your nails will recover much faster with the oil treatments.

If you should have enhancements put on, ask your technician to be *restrained* in the filing. If a nail tech tries to take an electric file to your natural nail, object firmly and do not allow it. E-files have their place (like thinning or shaping an enhancement), but it's NOT on your natural nails.

(sorry - I'll take my work hat off now!) ;)

It must depend on the nail tech doing it because my nails aren't damaged at all. My tech just lightly buffs my nails before she applies the OPI. I can see why you wouldn't want to have it done again.

I checked the pricing at our Beauty Supply store yesterday. Each bottle of Shellac is about $15. The remover pads were more, I forgot how much. There were no UV lights in stock, but was told they about $225 or so. It sounds pretty spendy to get started, but we're thinking of doing them in our shop.

I'm thinking of having these done for our cruise next month. Would be nice to have pretty polish with no chipping/redoing while on the cruise. I usually just keep them natural but like a more polished look on cruises.

I'll have to check around and see if anyone around here is offering them. When you go back in for your filling in 2 weeks does it cost the same as the initial appt?

I'll have to check around and see if anyone around here is offering them. When you go back in for your filling in 2 weeks does it cost the same as the initial appt?

You don't really get them filled. They soak off the axxium and there are pads for the shellac. Then they start over so it always costs the same.

Thanks to all of you ladies that contributed to this thread. It was a real education. For the past year I have gone natural in order to give my nails a chance to mend. Maybe I'll give the shellac process a try. I was worried about having my nails done for the upcoming B2B, but not anymore.

I, too would like to thank all who posted on this thread. After 10 years of acrylic nails I have let my nails grow out but would like to have my nails vacation ready and pretty. I have an appt. on Tuesday with my nail girl to try the Shellac. I will give it a try, and most likely only use it for vacations/special occasions. I spoke with several ladies at the salon and they LOVE it! I will post after my upcoming cruise and let you know how it is:).

You don't really get them filled. They soak off the axxium and there are pads for the shellac. Then they start over so it always costs the same.

Thanks for the info. What if you don't want to have them redone. Is there a way to get the polish off at home? Or do you have to go back to have it removed?

I wonder if the beauty college does them?

Your nail tech may have some Shellac soak-off pads available for sale for easy removals, but a 10-min soak in acetone should do the trick as well. Just ensure you use cuticle oil and hand moisturiser afterward, as it's very drying!

Archived