All things Voyager of the Seas

My wife and I along with another couple are thinking of taking a cruise on the Voyager of the Seas in February 2011. The itinerary is Roaton, Belize, and Cozumel. However, I have not seen many threads on here about the Voyager.

I'm sure there would be many others interested in any information that others can share. I would like people to try and convince me to take this ship. But any negative info would be great too.

Thanks

Doug

The only RCL ship I have been on is The Voyager. Mainly because since I do not fly and I am still fully employed, it is based at a port closest to my home so I really can't compare it with other RCL ships.

But we love The Voyager. Yes it is a little older than some ships but it has been well preserved. We have had cabins on the highest levels all the way towards the front (Grand Suite) and as low as Deck 6 (Cabin 6626) all the way to the back. No matter where are cabin is located we can find our way around easy without getting lost. The cabins and public areas are kept clean at all times. The food is great; we have eaten in the Main Dining Room, Windjammer, Johnny Rockets and Portofinos and were never disappointed. We have enjoyed the Wine Dinner Series and the Murder Mystery Dinner and will do both of them again.

We find the staff from the cabin stewards to the wait staff to the people manning the purser's desk are friendly and are willing to listen to you and help you any way they can.

I am sure if you go to the reviews you can find plenty of reviews about the Voyager. If you have a specific question about her I will be glad to try and answer your question. It might take me a few days to get back to you but just ask and I'll do what I can to help you.

I would like people to try and convince me to take this ship.

If you need to be convinced to take a cruise on any cruise ship you haven't caught the cruising bug yet. I can't think of any ship from the fleets of any the major cruise lines operating out of the US that I would need convincing in order to cruise. If I can afford it, I'm there! :D

we have been on the voyager twice- feb 2009 and feb. 2010- 1st time- cozumel, roatan and costa maya. the second time- cozemel, grand cayman and montego bay. both times we have stayed in jr suites on the port side toward the aft of the boat- we love the jr suites- walkin closet and more space.

we have signed up to do the b2b cruises in feb on voyager- two wks instead of one- really looking forward to it.

i personally did not like roatan and will stay on the boat this time and go to the spa. my husband went deep sea fishing at cozumel and caught a 3ft baracuda- had a blast

the only complaint that we have about the voyager is the elevators at dinner time- very crowded- but we have learned to take the elevator up to come down

we did an alaska cruise on regents and like royal caribbean so much better even if the ship is larger- the staff is so much friendlier and the food tastier.

I truly love the Voyager. Went once this winter, have two more booked coming up, before they send her off to....NOLA, or is it Mobile? Can't remember; then the Mariner will take her place in Galveston. Anyway, it's clean, it's beautiful, the staff is friendly, the food is good....

and the stairs are way more convenient than the elevator! (I always leave the elevators for those who are physically unable to take the stairs; that way I can eat more) :D

Hi Doug:

We love the Voyager, as you can see from our cruises, past and future. She will be going to New Orleans next year, but in the meantime she still is a mainstay in Galveston during the winter months.

We loved Roatan, been to Cozumel so many times that it feels like home, Belize we enjoyed the ruins but not the town.

She is lovely ship with a great crew and the food is excellent.

Enjoy your cruise.

Voyager is our grand ole dame. We love her and that is our favorite itinerary for her. You won't hear any negatives from me. Take Roatan Cab Tours(google that) to Mayan Princess in West Bay, prettiest pool/bar/beach for $15 pp. Take a taxi to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel, all inclusive great food and drinks, beautiful pool/hot tub and beach for $49 pp. In Belize, try to find an excursion that will take you to Ambergris Cay, the best place in Belize.

We are booked for our 5th cruise on Voyager. This will be #3 our of Galveston. We also did a Med and Transatlantic.

It's a lovely ship with an excellent crew. She may not be brand new, but she did go through dry dock not long ago and still looks "spiffy"

I did cruise one other Voyager class ship, the Explorer, and both DH and I thought Voyager was nicer. For one thing, the Promenade Cafe on Voyager is easier to navigate and had more food choices.

I'm going to miss her when she goes to New Orleans, but she'll be replaced with another ship in her class.

If you need to be convinced to take a cruise on any cruise ship you haven't caught the cruising bug yet. I can't think of any ship from the fleets of any the major cruise lines operating out of the US that I would need convincing in order to cruise. If I can afford it, I'm there! :D

In all due respect I have to disagree with you, but in the nicest of ways :p.

My sister and I sailed on The Conquest twice. Once in 2005 and more recently Jan 2010. The only reason why we cruised with Carnival this years was that we wanted to see the Bahamas and that is the only line that goes to the Eastern Caribbean from Galveston.

I can ensure you that while I have the cruising bug (I live for cruising) it will take a lot more than convincing me to get me on that cruise line again. And since these are my personal reasons why I do not like Carnival I won't go into details here. I don't want to convince someone not to try them just because I don't like them. I rather a person make up their own minds about whether or not they choose to cruise or not cruise on certain lines.

And again no disrespect to your statement. I just wanted you to know that in my opinion not all cruise lines are created equal enough for me to cruise on them.

There's actually a lot of information on Voyager on the site - it's just that when she goes to Europe, there are fewer current posts. Once she's back in Galveston, it's a hot topic. Check out the review section for the reviews from last season.

One caveat to what Becci Boo said - Nachi Cocom is reservations only. I wouldn't just take a taxi there. It is "possible" to get in if they are not sold out, but not guaranteed. Better safe than sorry. ( Hope you don't mind my two cents, Boo. :) )

Voyager is a great ship with an outstanding crew. We've been on her 3 times - last time I felt the food had even improved. Plenty to do onboard.

An alternate opinion on Roatan - this is one of our favorite ports. Stunning beach (we too have gone to Mayan Princess - booked an excursion through Island Marketing one time and Victor Bodden another). The snorkeling at the reef is amazing. You have to get over to West Bay or West End to appreciate the island - the area around the port is a bit rough.

Something that I feel is unique is that the passenger base is often Texas majority, with a healthy dose of Southerners and Midwesterners. With all due respect to the entire country, I have found that the Galveston based cruises have friendlier passengers - the vibe is just a little more relaxed, more people tend to smile and nod or say hello. We Texans like to claim it's our hospitality. ;) But having cruised out of San Juan, Ft Lauderdale and Los Angeles, I can say that I have seen a difference.

Yes Wolf, Island Marketing does it all. Forgot to add about Nachi rez. also, they only allow 100 people in so book it early:D And Cinthia at RoatanCabTours will also purchase your Mayan Princess pass for you as well.

That's why our state motto is "The Friendly State"

I've been on the Voyager of the Seas three times so far, and booked again for next December and next March. I think you'll like it. Good 9-piece "big band" ship's band. Several other places for live music (Cleopatra's Needle; Viking Crown; Schooner Bar). Ice rink. (You'll need tickets to see the ice show, but they are free, usually handed out around 9am Monday morning). Cool looking 2-story disco. Stunningly elegant dining room. Check out some youtube videos of the ship.

Mariner of the Seas will be the Galveston RCI ship starting November, 2011.

Even though this was my first cruise (VOS, 6th June - 13th June) I have well and truly caught the CRUISE BUG!! Will definitely be doing another with RCCL in the near future. Anyone who is on Facebook give me an add - heatherawallace@hotmail.co.uk. Would be great to talk to people who have been on VOS Med Cruise and get feedback also on other ships.

Can anyone tell me how much it cost to park at the pier in Galveston? Also is there an airport in Galveston or do most people fly into Houston? We are trying to decide on driving or flying.

Doug

There are three choices:

Cruise Port parking:

http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/parking.shtml

EZcruise parking:

http://www.ezcruiseparking.com/

Lighthouse parking:

http://www.lighthouseparking.org/

Some Galveston hotels allow parking during your cruise, but they are not secure.

Here's a good web site:

http://www.galveston.com/default.asp

There are three choices:

Cruise Port parking:

http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/parking.shtml

EZcruise parking:

http://www.ezcruiseparking.com/

Lighthouse parking:

http://www.lighthouseparking.org/

Some Galveston hotels allow parking during your cruise, but they are not secure.

Here's a good web site:

http://www.galveston.com/default.asp

What about Galveston Park n Cruise?

Can anyone tell me how much it cost to park at the pier in Galveston? Also is there an airport in Galveston or do most people fly into Houston? We are trying to decide on driving or flying.

Doug

The cost for covered parking at the port is $100. I believe its about $60 for normal parking.. We parked covered last year and since the cover is a mesh type material our vehicle was just as dirty as the cars in uncovered.. We are off again on 02/20 again only this time we are parking at the hotel and taking the shuttle.

Happy Sailing!

Earl & Kathy

Do you mean the van cost from the Houston airport to the port are high?

I would guess so... Even from Hobby Airport (in south Houston) it's still another ~50 miles to the Cruise Terminal, Bush Intercontinental is ~75 miles to the Cruise Terminal (and you have to go straight through downtown). Plus, something I've *never* understood, is the rental car companies not being open on Sunday in Galveston.

Archived