Explorer is showing its age

Recently back from Explorer and although we where on her 4 years ago and really love this ship it is really showing it age.

Our cabin on (deck 7) had many issues. The carpet as well as the couch were badly worn and stained. The furniture was scratched and some of the draws were hard to open. The TV was old as was the RCTV system. Ordering breakfast took forever and the system was VERY slow. It was almost like having a 56K dial-up. The remote was so worn you could not read the numbers on it. Our balcony had peeling paint chips all over the floor and you could see peeling paint on the walls. You could see our neighbors balcony ceiling with a patch of paint missing about 18 inches wide. All of the beautiful wood railings on all of the decks (except the public areas) were in very poor shape. How sad that this beautiful wood looks like this.

While on the balcony and looking up at the other decks you can see rust on many areas. Rust was also showing on the outside bottom of the sliding doors. The public areas appear to be fine but many of the cabins really need to be updated. In walking around the outside of the ship you do find many areas of rust and peeling paint. Don't ever remember it being this bad.

Don't get me wrong, we had a great time and really love the Explorer, but RCCL needs to do some updating.

You are absolutely correct!! I was on the Explorer in January, her first cruise after dry dock. The couch in my cabin was badly worn, the TV was old and I Just didn't see anything different from my previous cruise on the Explorer.

They may have addressed some issues mechanically but did nothing during last dry dock to improve appearance.

I noticed many things done to the appearance that were a nice touch during drydock. There was all new furniture down in the aquarium bar and other lounge areas. They completely re-did the flooring around the main pool area's. There was all brand new furniture in the solarium, which I really appreciated b/c we love to sit out there. :)

I noticed many things done to the appearance that were a nice touch during drydock. There was all new furniture down in the aquarium bar and other lounge areas. They completely re-did the flooring around the main pool area's. There was all brand new furniture in the solarium, which I really appreciated b/c we love to sit out there. :)

Can't get too exited about new flooring in the pool area:( The eighties called, they want their TV's back.

When I am on vacation, I expect better then worn out furniture and out dated appliances. I can get that at home.

Still had a great cruise but lets call a spade a spade here.

You are absolutely correct!! I was on the Explorer in January, her first cruise after dry dock. The couch in my cabin was badly worn, the TV was old and I Just didn't see anything different from my previous cruise on the Explorer.

They may have addressed some issues mechanically but did nothing during last dry dock to improve appearance.

I guess the fact that it still floats is their main concern. They must be having more cash flow problems than we realize.

I will be sailing on the Explorer next week and am very excited.....sailed on her about 7 years ago. I realize she is much older and many have enjoyed the ship and will not hold that against RC. I do expect a clean ship. Older TV doesnt bother me(dont watch much on a cruise except for getting ready for dinner) scratched furniture comes with the territory of so many ppl on and off ship and pool decor is what it is......Im HAPPY TO BE ON A RC CRUISE!!!!!!!

I guess the fact that it still floats is their main concern. They must be having more cash flow problems than we realize.

I enjoy the RCCL product; and look forward to sailing one of the newer ships very soon.

However, I get the feeling that RCCL put all of their eggs in the Oasis/Allure basket..the debt they have to service is enormous and seems they have cut back in many ways that many folks are noticing.

Mitch

This only applies to outside areas, but look at the route the explorer does. Up and down the east coast every 9/12 days... she gets alot of abuse from the sea. I would imagine it very hard to keep up with that kind of abuse at all times.

I was on Explorer in feb and I dont remember seeing too much wear n tear on the inside, and I am usually quite observant of those things. Still had a great time on it!!

we were on her Nov 30, 2008 and there was noticable repair work needed then so all this is surprising me that after drydock she needs so much still...

i know they are little things but dh had to do some minor repairs just so we could sleep at night...we were on deck 8 balcony cabin and the whistling and creeking in the cabin were unbelievable...he took a napkins from the room service tray and stuffed in the ceiling to stop the noise there and did something to the sliding door to stop the whistling...dont get me wrong I still love rccl and the explorer but I was really waiting to hear how nice the newly drydocked ship was...

send rccl a email or note and express your concerns so they know what you think...they do listen...

I enjoy the RCCL product; and look forward to sailing one of the newer ships very soon.

However, I get the feeling that RCCL put all of their eggs in the Oasis/Allure basket..the debt they have to service is enormous and seems they have cut back in many ways that many folks are noticing.

Mitch

Yes, there was a few more things that you noticed about cut backs. There does not seem to be as much staff in the MDR for breakfast or lunch. Sometimes there are long waits even just to order your food. If you ever want a second cup of coffee you could sit there for a long time. After 3 or 4 days of this we ended up going to the windjammer where the food was hot. Also in the MDR for breakfast they would come around every morning with a tray with a sign on it selling "fresh squeezed orange juice" for $ 2.50. Does RCCL need to now make money on orange juice? You can order it off the menu. We also found the staff hit and miss as far as being attentive and some waiters seemed a little short and slightly rude. Others were great...go figure.

Our waiter in the MDR for dinner was the same way. Seemed to have an "attitude" on the other hand our assistant waiter Albin was GREAT. On the first day he took the time to learn our names and called us by our first names all the times we were there. By the way the tips reflected the service. So in the end the assistant waiter got the bigger tip.

All cruise lines have a time table for replacing fixtures on their fleet. This includes both soft and hard goods. The Explorer is not old enough for a complete refurbish. Has nothing to do with cash flow.

Yes, there was a few more things that you noticed about cut backs. There does not seem to be as much staff in the MDR for breakfast or lunch. Sometimes there are long waits even just to order your food. If you ever want a second cup of coffee you could sit there for a long time. After 3 or 4 days of this we ended up going to the windjammer where the food was hot. Also in the MDR for breakfast they would come around every morning with a tray with a sign on it selling "fresh squeezed orange juice" for $ 2.50. Does RCCL need to now make money on orange juice? You can order it off the menu. We also found the staff hit and miss as far as being attentive and some waiters seemed a little short and slightly rude. Others were great...go figure.

Our waiter in the MDR for dinner was the same way. Seemed to have an "attitude" on the other hand our assistant waiter Albin was GREAT. On the first day he took the time to learn our names and called us by our first names all the times we were there. By the way the tips reflected the service. So in the end the assistant waiter got the bigger tip.

Bob, that's just despicable. Now you are making fun of short people?!?!?!?! :eek:

(ok, that was a JOKE, for anyone who missed it)

I have appreciated your comments in this thread. I have to second My2Kitties' suggestion that you write a carefully considered letter to RC detailing these concerns.

Mitch

I don't agree. I was on the Carnival Fascination back in 2001. The ship at that time was five years old. She was in need of all new soft goods in the cabin plus the shower had some repairs that were needed. This ship just went through her first MAJOR refurbish within the last couple of years since she entered service. Again, cruise lines have time tables for this and it's rare that they deviate from this plan.

Money was spent in updating public areas where it is more noticeable. They had to do something in the Aquarium Bar area since the science lab is gone.

Unlike Princess, RCCL has chosen not to put flat screen TV's in all their cabins. Princess has upgraded their linen and the color scheme in their cabins.

RCCL still has another mega ship debuting later this year.

Sad that no one addressed cabins needing updating during the recent drydock on the Explorer. For a first timer on the ship, it doesn't create a very positive impression.

Princess has chosen to go the other route having drinks go for $2.99 every evening, made all choices at the International Cafe free with larger portion sizes, expanded the food choices at the grill near the pools, recognizing and holding Cruise Critic roll call gatherings on board Princess ships, their Scoops Ice Cream (soft as well hard) free, choice of orange, cranberry, grapefruit juices free at breakfast, etc.

RCCL has chosen to go in a different direction. Not saying it is bad or good, just different.

MARAPRINCE

All cruise lines have a time table for replacing fixtures on their fleet. This includes both soft and hard goods. The Explorer is not old enough for a complete refurbish. Has nothing to do with cash flow.

If I see people complaining about things that weren't a problem in the past, I think it's old enough!

ps everything has to do with cash flow: it's a business!

Only thing that stood out to me as needing some TLC was the railings, lots of rust on the metal and the wood was looking its age.

Other than that, she was a purdy ol' thing...and as long as she got me from point A to point B and back to A again without sinking, I consider her perfectly acceptable ;)

If I see people complaining about things that weren't a problem in the past, I think it's old enough!

ps everything has to do with cash flow: it's a business!

You may think that it's old enough. Obviously RCI doesn't agree with you. They don't run and replace a chair everytime it gets a little worn. Again, they have a schedule. Want a new ship look, cruise on a new ship.

I felt the same way about the Explorer when I was on her last month (and actually had the very same issue with the TV remote -- the numbers were completely worn off).

It didn't really bother me since I had been on the Explorer before, knew its age (and the pounding it takes) and knew what to expect. It wouldn't keep me from sailing on Explorer again because, as I said, I know what to expect. I do think I want to go on one of the newer ships next time though. I'm a little fatigued of the Gen 1 Voyager Class ships that have sailed from Bayonne.

Thanks for the head's up. It's not what we wanted to hear. We are veterans cruisers and have only been on one ship that was in bad shape with worn furniture, rust, dirty carpeting, etc. That was the Galaxy out of Galveston. It must be my German heritage as I expect things to be in tip-top shape and spotlessly clean. All ships take a beating so that's no excuse. When we were on the Mariner out of Port Canaveral, she was exquisite.

Give me a break, I was on the Explorer in May and I did see some rust on the Balcony, my numbers were worn off the remote, room & ship were spotless. If it bothers you so much then bring some paint with you or can we come to your house and check all the nooks & crannies or better yet don't go. I was impressed with the Explorer and will cruise on her again

Archived