Disembarking question

VickiD59

Cruising for the first time in a few weeks. Time listed for return docking is 8am. Assuming this is extremely precise.. what time would you reasonably estimate our getting off the ship? We're trying to set up our return car service and don't want to be paying for "standing around" time, but also don't want to be waiting around on the curb to be picked up either. Keeping in mind, it will be a Monday morning in NYC.. so rush hour traffic will very much be an issue. I guess my question is... how long is the disembarking process.. or.. what time must you absolutely, positively be off? Thanks :)

Usually everyone is off no later than 10:30 am ... unless something goes wrong. (something went wrong on my last two cruises now ... and has before Im batting 30% for how many times something went wrong.

January we hit the dock and had to move which deck they let us off and it was a mess, they wouldnt let self disembarkers into the elevator on our deck, until all the wheelchairs and ALL of their closest friends and bus mates were down the elevators.

May we hit the full inspection from customs, and folks were not totally off until almost 2 pm. Every ship has these, just dont know which dates.

If you want to get off early, carry your luggage off yourself and leave your room as soon as they start calling for people to leave. We did this and were off the ship and out of the terminal in about 20 minutes.

Hopefully you'll be off the ship quickly. You can carry off your own luggage=pack light. That group is let off right after the VIP-Platinum guests. You can also ask to be let off the ship as early as possible with the early flight guests after you are on the ship at the pursars desk. Explain your situation to them.

That is one reason I elected to cruise just about an hour away from where we live. No hurry to get on, no hurry to get off.

We're only about an hour away as well, but NYC on a Monday morning during rush hour is not to be believed. The last mile to the cruise port could take an hour to drive in NYC traffic. We're in no hurry to get off and we're not looking to be the first ones off the ship... just wondering about.. approximately... guess'timate.. the tail end time of disembarkment... assuming ship arrives at 8am as scheduled... 10:00.. 10:30? Just need to make pick-up plans.

assuming ship arrives at 8am as scheduled... 10:00.. 10:30? Just need to make pick-up plans.

No need to rush off the ship. Have breakfast, take your time and tell them 10-10:30AM. This is also after rush hour.

We're only about an hour away as well, but NYC on a Monday morning during rush hour is not to be believed. The last mile to the cruise port could take an hour to drive in NYC traffic. We're in no hurry to get off and we're not looking to be the first ones off the ship... just wondering about.. approximately... guess'timate.. the tail end time of disembarkment... assuming ship arrives at 8am as scheduled... 10:00.. 10:30? Just need to make pick-up plans.

WOW. If I only had a mile to go in one hour I would pull my luggage and walk it. That's unbelievable. And I thought Phoenix traffic was bad when it takes 30-40 minutes to go 20 miles.

WOW. If I only had a mile to go in one hour I would pull my luggage and walk it. That's unbelievable. And I thought Phoenix traffic was bad when it takes 30-40 minutes to go 20 miles.

We're not a mile away... we're over 60 miles away. Was using the reference that 8am rush-hour on a Monday morning in NYC could take an hour to GO a mile. It's an exaggeration.. but not by much.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

they did something I have never seen on our disembarking yesterday in Miami (Liberty). They called self-disembark by deck - AND called folks by zones. Zones would be off by 10:15 - Self by 8:15. We requested a lower zone - since we had an 11:30 flight - and guest services gave us zone 2. We were off the ship - picked up luggage - through customs - arranged for shuttle (larger taxis were taken - otherwise would have had to wait for that), and at the airport by 8:15! Docked at a little after 7:00.

Archived