CNN or Fox News?

mexico5

Hi there, my DH is more curious than anything about the TV channels on the Oosterdam. I read that there is TNT, Cartoon Channel, etc...does anyone know what news channels they have? We are hoping for a certain one but it doesn't matter...just something that my DH can watch before bed! Don't want to use all my internet minutes to read any news!

Thanks!

I think it has less to do with the ship than where it is sailing at what can be picked-up.

CNN seems to be the dominant network for news. I understand FOX News is sometimes available, no doubt as part of the vessels entertainment programming. :eek:

Smooth sailing...

You can log onto the NY Times site for free for long as you like!

On the Oosterdam:

Shipboard television channels:

26 – Onboard Channel (Ship/Cruise Video Promo)

27 – CNN

28 – Shore Excursion Channel

29 – ESPN (usually ESPN International)

30 – Documentaries (some reality stuff i.e. American Chopper)

31 – Turner Network Television (TNT)

32 – Boomerang (Cartoon Network)

33 – Discovery Channel

34 – Movies

35 – Movies

36 – Onboard Channel (crew show/coffee talk, etc)

37 – Movies

38 – Port & Shopping Channel

39 - Turner Classic Movies

40 – Ship, Weather & Port Information

41 – Music 1 (Classical Music)

42 – Music 2 (Great Standards)

43 – TV Channel Guide (Music3 - Hit Sweep)

44 – Bridge Cam – Adult Contemporary

They do have the condensed NY Times which - as I remember from my 2 cruises is delivered to your mailbox every day. This kind of gives you an idea of what's going on in the world.

But I guess that's not real news either.:confused:

The CNN shown on the ship is the International CNN.

And, yes..... they deliver a condensed New York Times news summary daily. There is a version for U.S., one for Canada and possibly for a few other countries such as Netherlands.

We all have our favorite news sources ... for whatever reason.

Let's leave it at that, please!

No need to bash the NYT or other media.

Perfectly stated!

Thanks for being "The Voice of Reason and Gentility"!:)

...Well, it is never too late...:o

All kidding aside, this is not the place to engage in a "my news source is better than your news source" debate. You are right, everyone does have a preferance.

I think that you did an elegant job of closing the door on the potential for such a debate-- hopefully all of our CC friends will heed your plea for civility.:)

The only time Fox comes in is in port when many channels come in that you'll never see on HAL out at sea. I wouldn't mind so much if they carried "our" CNN, but the international version shows the same thing over and over and very little news from the states.

Every cruise line pays for a "package". This is the package HAL has chosen. It has nothing to do with what comes in because with satillite of course they could get any channel. We had a discussion on this a year or so ago and someone "in the know" explained that the packages offering more channels are much more expensive and HAL has chosen to stick with this.

DH just wants a channel to give him the market news and he goes crazy on a cruise. I find it somewhat of a relief to get away from finances for just a moment!:D

I was afraid you were gonna say "bless your heart"!!! :D

I love that saying...I should have used that in one of my recent posts! :D

Only problem is I can't seem to get the lovely Southern Accent right...Every time I hear my nasal Long Island voice on our phone recorder I cringe..LOL:eek:

Cheers...:)Betty

P.S. John. (JTL) Thanks for posting the list..I missed Copper's post & on our last cruise I could not find the listing in the HAL info on our desk..Was going nuts looking for the various channels..This time have printed it to take with us....

This is exactly why I didn't mention my favorite in my OP...but I have to admit that the second poster got me going:D

My DH just wants to check markets and make sure the world is still in one piece...that's about it...so we will be fine!

The CNNI news does repeat and repeat but the weather coverage is interesting (up to a point). Even my husband who is addicted to having the news on all the time, mellows out on cruises after the first day or so.

I work on the theory that if something important happens come one will tell me about it.

BBC, CNN, and Al Jazeera are the top three news channels with International content, which means that they invest in the facilities to report news from many countries. Fox News is a domestic US news channel.

Since they tend to have international clientele, cruise lines will normally show the international news channels rather than domestic ones.

So get Fox to invest more to move up with the big players, and they should get more time on cruise ships.

At the risk of reopening the "my news is better than your news" issue, I haven't really watched CNN for years until our most recent cruise when it was on all the time in the Neptune Lounge so that the worry-warts could spend their relaxing vacation stressing out about what the volcano in Iceland may or may not do. In any event, I couldn't believe their "slant" on the news which absolutely reminded me why I don't watch them anymore! Even the comedian on-board made a joke about the limited TV channels, referring to CNN as "Chicken Noodle News"! :D

BBC, CNN, and Al Jazeera are the top three news channels with International content, which means that they invest in the facilities to report news from many countries. Fox News is a domestic US news channel.

Since they tend to have international clientele, cruise lines will normally show the international news channels rather than domestic ones.

So get Fox to invest more to move up with the big players, and they should get more time on cruise ships.

As I mentioned, different cruise lines buy different packages. Wish I could remember the poster who explained all this but he was a HAL employee and everyone knew him very well.

Anyway, he explained it all. For example, Celebrity buys a more expensive package which includes Fox News and MSNBC ... and I think even CNBC for us financial news addicts whose lives depend on what the market is doing, but I'm not positive about that.

I agree that there are many international passengers throughout the world, but in the Caribbean it really is mostly Americans and Canadians and we are sort of interested in what's going on back home ... especially these days.

I'm not touting one network or another. I'd be fine with "our" CNN ... just some network from back home would be fine.

...have your market stop orders set up prior to departure for piece of mind.

Otherwise, for news purpose CNN / FNC / NYT (I only like the crosswords during a cruise) is just fine.

Better yet, just enjoy the cruise 'news-less' (if your able), pamper yourselves and enjoy each other's company instead.

Now have a GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

My DH just wants to check markets and make sure the world is still in one piece...that's about it...so we will be fine!

Yes, you will, voice of experience. I used to get cranky without my usual fix from my usual source. I now come back from 7 and 10 day breaks better rested if I don't feed that internal media beast at all. (Doesn't work on longer cruises than that, though.)

Free NYTimes means DH can check specific TSX stocks, a luxury not available on most lines.

Everyone has their favorite news source of course. The problem is when only one is available! I was quite frustrated on my Rotterdam cruise to only get ___ which is the one I hate. I felt deprived and if I watched ___ I got aggravated which I don't need on my cruise. I know you could say don't watch but I happen to like to know what's going on in the world. My last cruise was a long one (52 days) and I wouldn't want to be so out of touch. The one I'm leaving on tomorrow is two weeks and lots of (Alaska) ports so I probably won't be watching quite as much.

St. Louis Sal

St. Louis Sal, have you considered looking for shore internet cafes if you do another Grand Voyage?

When I'm away from home longer than 10 days, that's the only way I can prevent fidgeting myself to death: log on to some sites from home.

For the Alaska cruise, Juneau library is right at the dock, and they have free internet.

Everyone has their favorite news source of course. The problem is when only one is available! I was quite frustrated on my Rotterdam cruise to only get ___ which is the one I hate. I felt deprived and if I watched ___ I got aggravated which I don't need on my cruise. I know you could say don't watch but I happen to like to know what's going on in the world. My last cruise was a long one (52 days) and I wouldn't want to be so out of touch. The one I'm leaving on tomorrow is two weeks and lots of (Alaska) ports so I probably won't be watching quite as much.

St. Louis Sal

I really don't understand. News is news and everything else is just opinion. If something significant is happening in the world - wouldn't you want to hear about it? What difference does it make where it comes from? We can all tune into our favorite cable people to hear their slant on the news when we get home so we'll know what to think. While we're on our vacation - on these wonderful cruise ships, we'll just have to get the news straight and make up our own minds. At least we'll know what's going on while we're gone.

The WiFi at the Juneau public library has been strong enough in the past that you could sit outside and surf the net. Handy if you have an iPhone or an iPad.

For those of us who are old enough to remember travel by ship when the only news you got was typed out and included on the daily info sheet or tacked up on some announcement board, the joke was then that if the world was ending we would be the last to know.

I think I miss that.

Archived