Le Havre

NagNag

If you haven't been to Paris - you should take a day excursion! It is the most beautiful city!!! We sailed down the Seine, had a wonderful lunch and saw a few of the sights. It was so worth it. I want to go back! The bus ride to Paris is long, but you have to see Paris if you are that close;)

Hon Fleur is one of the most beautiful towns in all of Europe. Can be reached in less than 1 hour from the ship. Did the 5 hour RT to Paris once (NEVER AGAIN). Can you imagine trying to see NYC or San Francisco in 4 hours?????

IMO it is a total waste of time to go to Paris on a day trip. 5 hours in a bus for 4 hours in Paris is not a good use of your time. Everywhere you turn in Hon Fleur is a postcard. It is compact, charming and absolutely beautiful. One of the best day trips we have ever taken anywhere in the world.

Hon Fleur is one of the most beautiful towns in all of Europe. Can be reached in less than 1 hour from the ship. Did the 5 hour RT to Paris once (NEVER AGAIN). Can you imagine trying to see NYC or San Francisco in 4 hours?????

IMO it is a total waste of time to go to Paris on a day trip. 5 hours in a bus for 4 hours in Paris is not a good use of your time. Everywhere you turn in Hon Fleur is a postcard. It is compact, charming and absolutely beautiful. One of the best day trips we have ever taken anywhere in the world.

I agree. Plan to spend several days in Paris either before or after a cruise.

Is it possible to travel to Honfleur on your own from Le Havre and is it worth the effort? Also, is it worth just staying in Le Havre and looking round there for the day? Thank you.

Thank you for bringing this up. I want to see Honfleur and was also wondering if we could do it on our own. I found the following from "Makem" on the ports-of-call listing

"Hi , if you want to do Honfluer on your own,from central bus station no 20/50 bus.

from the ship head across the P &O Ferry terminal towards the rail station "

We did Honfleur using the local bus = Bus Verde. It was not a long ride. What you need to be concerned about is that they close down for lunch time. they will close the store right in your face. Get off of the ship early, take the bus, see the shops and when they close, have a drink or lunch and then take the bus back to the ship. It is a very inexpensive way to see Hofleur which is beautiful.

Enjoy!l

I agree that it would be best to spend more than 4 or 5 hours in Paris. But I'm spending my pre-cruise time in Iceland and London and really can't take more time to go to Paris as well.

So I'm taking that day trip to Paris, because - what if I never get another chance to go? A taste of Paris (or NYC or SF) is better than none at all, no?

Similarly, my ship has an 8-hour stop in Cobh, Ireland. One of my cruise friends said, Ireland is a destination, not a port stop. She's thinking of doing a little walking around and then spending the rest of the stop in a pub. Again I'm thinking - what if I never get another chance to go? Do I want my main memory of Ireland to be a pub? So I'm taking a bus tour, that way I'll get at least a taste of Ireland as well.

JMO, YMMV

-......... what if I never get another chance to go? A taste of Paris (or NYC or SF) is better than none at all, no?

JMO, YMMV

We have been lucky enough to have visited Paris twice for a week each time. I don't know what the excursion has planned. If you have free time I suggest you consider one of the river boat tours on the Seine. It will give you a flavor of the place. It has been so long ago I cannot really remember how long the river tour lasted. You could probably look it up on the internet if you are interested. Have a great trip.

Hello,

From Cobh, you can take the train for a short ride to Cork. In Cork you can take a bus to Waterford or to the Blarney Castle. Evenif you do not want to climb to the top (and you should) the grounds below the castle are magnificent. Cobh has an interesting cathedral...Sanit Colman's.

We did not rent a car in Le Havre but on our tour to the Normandy beaches (DO NOT MISS) I noted that the highways were excellent and the road signs were very good.

Archived