Bed by balcony, Bed by shower,

derf5585

May be a dumb question buy how can you tell from the deck plan ?

I think the way it works is that if you have a convertible sofa, it will be located by the balcony, because if it's folded out it would be difficult for anyone to get past it if it were next to the bathroom. The deck plans indicate which staterooms have convertible sofas.

I read this on the boards here and when booking our cabin in the Equinox, I found that for our cabin this rule matched the spreadsheet (linked above) for the Solstice Class, so I believe this rule is accurate (obviously we haven't sailed yet).

I can't vouch for the other classes, but my guess is that it would apply as well. . . . hmm, I'm looking at our stateroom on the Century. Our sofa was by the balcony but the deck plan does not indicate it was a convertible sofa, though there seems to be very few of those at all on the deck we were on.

I hope this was semi-helpful and not confusing!

• 1 month later...

Half Hitch,

We will be in Cabin 9218 next week (whoohoo!), and I was curious as to where the bed will be placed. Our cabin is not listed on the matrix that another poster so graciously offered up. I guess no one who has been in that particular cabin responded. No matter - I simply send Celebrity an email asking and they wrote back within 4 days (apologizing for the delay in responding) and said that our bed was near the balcony. However, I am writing this to tell you that on the deck plan, the diagram shows the sofa next to the balcony. Also, we do not have a trundle bed in our cabin. So, if you really want to know where your bed will be, I would suggest writing directly to Celebrity. It was easy! Enjoy! aahhhhhh..........

Half Hitch,

We will be in Cabin 9218 next week (whoohoo!), and I was curious as to where the bed will be placed. Our cabin is not listed on the matrix that another poster so graciously offered up. I guess no one who has been in that particular cabin responded. No matter - I simply send Celebrity an email asking and they wrote back within 4 days (apologizing for the delay in responding) and said that our bed was near the balcony. However, I am writing this to tell you that on the deck plan, the diagram shows the sofa next to the balcony. Also, we do not have a trundle bed in our cabin. So, if you really want to know where your bed will be, I would suggest writing directly to Celebrity. It was easy! Enjoy! aahhhhhh..........

I do not think that the deck plans show any sofa's, they only show whether the cabin is for 2, 3 or 4, it is the schematics that show the bed near the bath, but that is just the way Celebrity have designed their brochure.

Haf hitches comment that, in general, 2 berth cabins have the bed near the balcony and 3 or 4 berth ones have it nearer the bathroom is I think correct.

Cabin 9218 is only a 2 berth one, hence the bed is near the balcony.

Is it true that the beds can be separated. If so can one go by the shower and one balcony?

But then would it still be considered a love boat?

That would not work. The cabin is wider where the bed is located.

We usually go on RC where the beds are always located close to the balcony doors, so we always have this set up and are used to it.

I think Celebrity used this alternating setup to squeeze more cabins in to a given length.

I've said it before, but I think it bears repeating here. The bed location is not the be-all, end-all, of your vacation as some of the posters on here make it out to be. The room is the exact same size regardless of where the bed is - it's all perception, anyway. I have had both configurations and did not prefer one over the other, or see much difference in the perceived spaciousness. No matter which configuration you get (even if you planned for the opposite), you'll enjoy your cruise.

I don't think anyone considers this issue a "deal breaker." But what matters to one person may not matter to another.

This is a perfect example. For you, it is a nonissue. Awesome.

But since there is a CHOICE on this cruise, someone is simply letting people know there is a choice and if one does prefer one style over another, it is available.

For some people this is a big issue (could be medical, could be ability-wise) it does matter so we can't assume that it shouldn't make a difference to ANYONE because it doesn't make a different to you or me.

That's a great perk of this board. Someone might not realize they have a CHOICE...(key word here)...and this board provides such insight.

Enjoy your cruise....whatever layout you prefer.

:)

I've had the opportunity to try both on Solstice (#1200 - by bath and #1206 - by balcony). I thought I would have preferred by bath for reasons mentioned earlier, but we actually didn't mind the bed by the balcony (I say "we" but I'm the only one who cares in our cabin).

In fact, last trip was bed by balcony and I found it made for a lot of convenience to have sink, vanity and closet all together vs. having to go around the bed while getting ready for dinner (think Gracie mentioned this benefit previously).

I found that despite my thinking I would have a strong preference, by the 2nd day you've basically adjusted to whichever set up you have and it really works either way!

Totally agree. We had family in a cabin next door who had the bed by the balcony ( ours was by bath) and in the end it didn't really matter!!

We have had both and there wasn't a lot of difference between the two. If I had to pick, I would take the bed by the balcony. We slept with our door open most nights and the breeze was nice.

FYI, the configuration changes every other room. My guess is that Celebrity did this for noise control -- so your neighbors TV isn't right behind your bed.

Archived