Maui Restaurants

TXDZ

We're going July 24-31, DH, myself & our 2 teenagers + the in-laws. In-laws have reservations @ Mama's Fish House but we've decided for the 4 of us, that's a little too decadent. We booked the Luau Kalamaku on Kauai, but have decided to forego it in favor of something a little lower key (I don't love huge crowds & we did OLL last time we were there). So we're trying to think of someplace where we can eat that fronts the beach...either in Maui or Kauai that isn't expensive. Any ideas?

We are going to the Feast at Lele. Combo beach front/luau/sit down dinner experience. I've heard it's amazing. It's a much smaller luau environment (my husband hates crowds too).

We were in Maui in April and we went to the Feast of Lele. This was the highlight of our time in Hawaii. Every table has a view of the beach and you are no more then 4-5 rows back from the stage. No line ups and everything served right at your table.... take a taxi or walk if you can... drinks just a keep on coming!

Downtown Lahaina - Lahaina Fish Company or Kimo's. Both have beautiful sunset views (and great ocean views all day long, for that matter ;) )

Kaanapali - Hula Grill (you can eat at the Barefoot Bar in the afternoon for a literal lunch on the beach) or Leilani's.

I haven't been to Maui since Duke's on the Beach opened...but you can bet that I'll be checking it out in March!

And, my favorite restaurant on Maui is Pineapple Grill up at Kapalua. It's not on the water - but has fabulous views of Molokai and the Maui channel.

All of the restaurants mentioned have websites.

Enjoy!

We too had considered Mama’s Fish House but it was a bit over our heads for what we were looking for. Nearby in Paia we stumbled upon Café Mambo and it was fantastic. I’m not a big duck fan but the crispy duck fajitas were just incredible.

http://cafemambomaui.com.s29966.gridserver.com/

In Kihei our favorite lunch place iss Café O’lei and for breakfast it’s Kihei Caffe.

http://cafeoleirestaurants.com/kihei/

http://kiheicaffe.com/index.html

Beach4me made good suggestions tho' Pineapple Grill is a bit on the high side for us but the views up there are spectacular.

For decently priced beach feeds on Maui, Leilani's (we like the upstairs there) & Hula Grill in the Whalers Village at Kaanapali are good value & right by the beach. Buzz's Wharf at Maalea (sp) overlooks the harbor & shore, there's another place there too (Blue Marlin ?), has good hamburgers. Don't laugh but we like Bubba Gumps in Lahaina, it's right on (over) the water, good food, service and views. Mala Grill is shoreside but no real beach there. The restaurant at Napili Kai (Sea House or something like that) overlooks Napili Bay and is decently priced. In the daytime you could get sandwiches and picnic at the overlook to Hookipa Beach & watch the surfers/windsurfers' antics; we usually detour there on our last day when heading to the airport:(

For Kauai, Brenneke's is at Poipu Beach tho' set back couple of hundred feet. Duke's at Kalapaki Beach is good and of course it's close to the dock. There's a couple of other places near there at that shopping area near the dock but I forget the names. Beach House in Lawai has a good reputation but it's expensive.

Can't think of anything else right now !

We love having breakfast / lunch at the Gazebo Restaurant in Napili, about 15 minutes north of Ka'anapali. It's cheap with a great view of Lanai and Molokai. It regularly gets the Best of Maui award for their food and location. Nothing fancy, just a small, off the beaten path gazebo with great food and views. Sometimes there's a wait at the most popular times, but we have never waited more than 5 minutes. DT Fleming State Beach is just a 5 minute drive if you want to beach it for the afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Dukes on the Beach 10 days ago and it was wonderful. We started with their nachos and all had fish tacos (my mom and I split an order and then had Maui onion soup) and 2 pieces of Hula Pie for dessert (for 5 people).

The view and atmosphere was wonderful and not overly expensive.

Wendy

Went to Dukes on the Beach 10 days ago and it was wonderful. We started with their nachos and all had fish tacos (my mom and I split an order and then had Maui onion soup) and 2 pieces of Hula Pie for dessert (for 5 people).

The view and atmosphere was wonderful and not overly expensive.

Wendy

Excellent! Thanks for the report, Wendy. You can bet I'll be there in March!

Kimo's in Lahaina has some of the best seafood I've ever had. Add in a sunset view from the deck and you are in heaven!

For cheap plate lunches, try the Honokowai Okazuya. It's a little hole-in-the-wall takeout place just before you get to Kahana in a small strip mall. We liked it so much we got takeout three different times in a week from there.

The Gazebo at Napili Shores is great as well. A bit tough to find, park at the main Napili Shores office and walk through the condo complex until you find it. If you are there when they are still serving breakfast, the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup are to die for. Add in the ocean breezes, a view across the water to Molokai, and the humpbacks were very active when we were there and it was spectacular. :D

No, please don't go to the Gazebo - it's getting too popular! Good food, great location, moderately priced, enjoy Napili Bay before or after - nothing to see here, move along...:)

The Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina is on the water and has good food that's reasonably priced. It's more 'local' but some of the stuff they serve(smoothies......) are to die for. We like it for pupus or lunch.

Bubba Gump's is IMO underrated - it's so darn cute that some overlook the good food and very friendly staff.

IMO any of these would be great for a family w/teens. I know of which I speak.

For cheap plate lunches, try the Honokowai Okazuya. It's a little hole-in-the-wall takeout place just before you get to Kahana in a small strip mall. We liked it so much we got takeout three different times in a week from there.

HO consistently wins best plate lunch take out in Maui No Ka Oi magazine's annual "Best of Maui" issue. But...shhhhh! We won't tell anyone because we don't want longer lines, okay? ;)

Archived