Information About Lima Cabs Tours

j2ink

I'm going to be in Lima one full day waiting for a flight home, and I want to arrange a tour of the city, and possibly beyond, for about 8 or 9 hours. I need transportation and someone to wait for us as we walk around some of the sights. (In others word, I don't want a drive-by tour.) We would also need a stop for lunch. Has anyone had any experience with Lima Cabs at Limacabs.com? They do not appear to be a taxi service, but they provide transportation and tours in unmarked autos and vans.

marazul,

Thanks for the information, but since we do not arrive in Lima until about 10:00 am, I think I'm going to need a custom tour that begins at about 11:00 am from the airport. I think all of the standard city tours begin much earlier in the morning.

j2ink,

we had custom tours from them. Our own driver and guide. We used bthe standard tours in their website as ideas for what we wanted to see. We then combined a couple of standard tours and added things we wanted to do. Do include the Casa de Aliaga in your request. They picked us up at the time we specified. The cost was just a little bit more than the standard tours. They'll pick you up at the airport or wherever. Email them and see what they'll put together for you. We dealt with Nancy at nto@limatours.com.pe. The service and the guide were excellent. It's worth checking it out. The guides are far better, I think, than what a taxi driver would provide.

M

• 4 weeks later...

I just returned from Lima, Peru, where I used Lima Cabs for a full day tour of the city and surrounding area. Our driver, Edward, was a great tour guide, and he spoke English very well. We told him some specific things we wanted to see, and also our general interests. He took us to sights we would never have found wandering around the city by ourselves, and the restaurants he took us to for lunch and dinner were just what we wanted. And, the tour prices are much lower than those charged by the large tour agencies.

Lima taxis are not always safe. I do not recommend to take any unkonwn cab. You can contact the travel agency "Nuevo Mundo". They were always reliable when I arrived to the airport.

You have to be 3 hours in advance at the airport (if you have your boarding card 2 hours). So plan accordingly, since flights are very often overbooked I have seen people who came too late not being able to find a place at the airplane.

In relation to food, Lima has the best food you can imagine! Many gourmet restaurants for example "Astrid and Gaston". Others in which the food is very good and have a wonderful setting. In this category my favorite is "La Huaca Pucllana" a lovely restaurant with view at Preinca ruins. Another good but more turist is "La Rosa nautica". In all the restaurants I mention you will love the food.

Enjoy Lima!

The Cebicheria La Mar is one of the best seafood restaurants I have ever been to. It is owned by Gaston Acurio of Astrid y Gaston.

After lunch there, we asked the doorman to call us a taxi. They had several of their own drivers across the street and one of them took us back to the hotel. Same fare as a taxi.

I think j2ink was referring to a company call "Lima Cabs."

Yes, if you read the original post, it indicates Lima Cabs is a tour company, which also offers transportation to and from the airport and hotels. I certainly did not stop a taxi on the street for an 11 hour tour of the city.

• 8 months later...

Just back from cruising on Celebrity Infinity with a one day stop at Callao for Lima. We don't like to take ship tours and had found reports about Monicatoursperu both on tripadvisor and cruise critic. We booked Monica and after several emails back and forth we managed to organise an itinerary which suited us. We wanted to visit the Pachacamac ruins outside Lima, do a city tour, have lunch and visit the Indian market. Monica met us at the cruise terminal, with our guide Vanessa and took us in our air conditioned mini van to see the sights. The whole time Vanessa, who has perfect English, gave us the history of Lima remembering lots of mind boggling facts and figures and also telling stories of folklore with so much fun and enthusiasm. Don't miss Pachacamac ruins, they are so well preserved and would remind you of some of the Egyptian ruins, the city is beautiful, we would have loved to have more time to explore but will hopefully return someday. We ate in a restaurant called El Senorio de Sulco which Monica recommended, you could have a la carte or buffet, we decided to go for the buffet as it let us try all the traditional Peruvian food. The food was really good, it was a bit expensive for lunch @ $30 each which included a drink, Monica had asked us if we wanted to go somewhere else cheaper, but I'm glad we chose here as it was lovely. The traffic around Callao and Lima is crazy but we always felt safe with Monica as she was a very competent driver, both Monica and Vanessa were very friendly and made us feel at ease the whole day. The tour was great value for money and Monica even gave us a Peruvian ornament each as a keepsake. I would definitely recommend Monica Tours, make sure you ask for Vanessa as she is a great asset to the company. I'm sure Monica also does pick-ups from the airport and will do whatever itinerary you want.

Alison

Archived