Pacific Dawn W933 - Panorama Pictures

Wilkono

I just recently rediscovered these panoramas I took while on Pacific Dawn last November/December. I took them using my LG KC910 'Renoir' smartphone. The camera system sets you up to take three photos (left, center, right) and then merges them together to create beautiful panoramas. It took a while to figure out, and not all of them were perfect, but these are the fourteen I managed to take. Enjoy! I've reduced them in size so they're a little easier to download.

P06-12-09_1026_1.jpg

Taken from Deck 14. To the right is the Dome. To the left is the buffet/pool bar

P05-12-09_1547_1.jpg

Waiting for coffee on Deck 5. Girlfriend poses reluctantly for photo!

P03-12-09_1915_1.jpg

Balcony of the International Showlounge

P03-12-09_1903_1.jpg

Lido Deck at night. Directly behind the camera is the pool bar

P02-12-09_1304_1.jpg

One of the scenic lookout spots used by the green tour train at Noumea. Notice the Pacific Dawn to the right of the frame

P02-12-09_1233_1.jpg

Another scenic lookout on the tour train.

P02-12-09_1210_1.jpg

An unscheduled stop for our tour train. It broke down! Not being a P&O certified tour, this would have been nerve-wracking had it been later in the day

P02-12-09_1151_1.jpg

Yet another stop made by our train

P01-12-09_2347_1.jpg

Partying in the Dome. The lights look incredible in all the Dome pictures, due to the process used for panorama scenes and the 'nightclub' style lighting of the Dome

P01-12-09_1944_1.jpg

Earlier in the Dome

P01-12-09_1943_1.jpg

Another in the Dome

P01-12-09_1921_1.jpg

Listening to Sheldon in the Promenade Bar. We loved listening to his renditions and his banter, and really hope he has transferred to the Jewel for our next cruise!

I think they are excellent!!

I wonder how your camera manages to do that. I have tried "stitching" photos together ( most graphics programmes have a facility for this ) but found that it didn't work that well.

Barry

Thanks for all the replies - glad everyone has enjoyed them.

bazzaw: It's a little hard to describe without being able to show you. With my camera, the first photo (the left side of the panorama) is taken as normal. For the second and third exposures, the far right of frame from the previous photo is ghosted on the far left of the viewscreen. Its them simply a matter of turning on the spot, lining up landmarks, and repeating the steps once more to create a panorama. I would assume that the camera software stitches these images together, much like a computer program, but the ghosting effect really helps you line up the sequence of shots.

On such a small viewscreen, its hard to line up the shots exactly, so occasionally you get strange blurryness where the camera has stitched the photos (this is especially true in the first Nouema lookout photo). Other artifacts occur when items in the foreground move between shots (notice the 'ghost' in the photo of the unscheduled tour stop) and you also get that pseudo-refracting effect when straight lines are present. These flaws are hard to pick up at a casual glance, so I still thoroughly enjoy that mode of the camera :)

Thanks for that - the graphic prog I have used mostly seems to attempt to stitch the photos together , edge to edge.

Will have a play around - I'm a bit bored today:p

Most dig cameras these days allow video to be taken - I wonder if it would be possible to capture 3 frames of a panned sequence and stitch them together??

Barry!!

Most dig cameras these days allow video to be taken - I wonder if it would be possible to capture 3 frames of a panned sequence and stitch them together??

/QUOTE]

I don't see why not. Professional video editors such as Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere allow you to take frames from video and turn them into jpg's. Depending on the software you use it should be easy enough. You could then manually use the 'ghosting' effect (by changing opacity) to line up the shots in a graphics editor.

You could use the same technique to create 360 degree shots as well.

There are some fantastic panorama stitching programs out there...here's an example of what you can do with them :)

Noumea.jpg

This is a 34 image 180 degree panorama I took of Noumea...the ship you can just see in the middle of the photo takes up half a screen when it's full sized. Sadly I don't know where I can put a full/half-sized version of it :(

we are going on our first cruise on 26th June - we bought the sony tx5 so we can do exactly what these pictures do but the difference is we dont need to take 3 seperate pictures - we just swoop from left to right slowly and the camera automatically does it by itself - cant wait to get some fantastic shots - will post when i get back:D

Archived