Chops or Portofino?

Sisa

On our 12 night TA we set aside three for the specialty restauarants. We tried Porotofino then Chops and went back to Portofino for the third because after having the seafood skewer at Portofino (amazing) had to try a steak there to compare to Chops. Had heard many comments that steak there was as good or better than in Chops. As good for sure but Chops has a defnite "steak ambience" and side dishes geared to the clasic steakhouse theme. More choice of steak cut in Chops but wider variety (and more pasta options) at Portofino. Service was similar (excellent) at both. But for us the winner over all was the seafood skewer at Portofino.

When cruising on a ship with multiple specialty restaurants I feel that it's worthwhile to try each of them and make a personal decision for the future. Really the upcharge isn't significant enough to try to make me make a choice between one or the other.

Another reason it was easy to do both on our Mariner cruise is that there were two nights the MDR menus did not have much to offer IMO. (Oh, and thanks to the CCers that posted those menus!!!!!!)

Isn't it great the information we can share on this board when not arguing about smuggling?:rolleyes:

We loved Chops and Portofino. Mrs. Maitaiguy liked Chops better and I preferred Portofino. However, next cruise we would happily do both again!:D

Service was great in both, but I know the older Voyager class ships only have Portofino.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your cruise!

BTW, Johnny Rockets was pretty empty and very delicious for lunch. We didn't mind the cover charge but thought it was unnecessary comparing the cost of the food we would eat for free in the WJ. I have read here on CC that JR was very busy before the cover charge was in place.

On our last cruise on Mariner we went to Chops and Portifino. IMHO I preferred Chops. The steaks were so tender and so flavorful. The other reason I preferred it was the staff!! They were more friendly and we ended up having 4 other waiters at our tables talking to all of us (there were 4 of us). We were all telling jokes and even some of the other cruisers were joining all of us. The service of course was outstanding. Since these are 2 very different types of food this is a personal choice, steak house or Italian?? If you can, try both the money is very well worth it for both places.

Archived