How long to climb down stairs in Santorini ?

Lil' Baba

Ok. I've heard that it can be crowded at the gondola when it's time to head back down to the pier for the tender. An there will be four ships docked at the same time.:eek:

If I decided to make my way back going down the stairs, how long will it take me ? Is the path illuminated at night ? I am a fit 40 year old with no mobility issues.

Thanks for your input,

Lil' Baba

The steps up and down are not advised for safety reasons :

* During the day the donkeys tear up and down singly with pax, and sometimes they balance the donkeys by tying them nose to tail and send a string of them up or down on auto pilot ! The corners have triangular shaped stairs like a circular staircase and tricky, especially as the donkeys cut the corners.

* Both during the day and after donkey operations cease the stairs are covered in regular donkey deposits from the rear end, which is potentially both smelly and slipping hazard . Would'nt walk the steps for fear of going A over T !!! at any time .

So ride a donkey or take the cable car ; to avoid a claim on your Travel Insurance.

The walk down is not that bad and it does not take very long. When we were in Santorini in May, a thunderstorm came rolling through so everyone was wanting to go down the cable car. My parents got in the cable car line about 30 minutes before we did. When we joined the line, they were fairly close to the ticket booth. Because the line was very long and we were already getting soaked, we opted to walk down after giving my parents our son to take down with them as they were already sheltered from the rain.

I can't remember how long the walk took (I want to say about 20-30 minutes), but it was definitely faster than the cable car because we entered the tender line the same time my parents did. We even had to take it slow because the steps were slick due to the rain and the donkeys were still going up and down, so we also had to pause at times to let them pass.

Based on how long it took my parents to get down on the cable car, I estimate that it would have taken us at least an hour and a half to get down based on how long the cable car line was when we finally decided to return to the ship.

Edited by bwbolt

It took me 10 min. last year. I'm 62 and in normal shape. In the afternoon there are not too many donkeys coming upwards, meaning that the traffic is under control. The smell can be better, but you'll survive!

Screwcork

My DW walked both up and down last month. Up took her about 20 minutes, down about 10. When ships first arrive there is a lot of donkey traffic on the way up, the rest of the time is spotty. Very safe and not a lot different than walking down a big hill.

We actually just did this last Friday. AAHHHHHHH I miss Santorini.

Anyway, the line for the cable car was fairly long and there was 1/2 hour until the last tender. So I ran down the steps, which I think took me about 15-20 minutes. You have to watch out for the donkey mines and sometimes the donkeys were in the way. Its 600 steps, but its easy to do. I was glad that I did because we got on the 2nd to last tender back. Close one!

Personally, I would do the steps if you are running low on time and/or the cable car line is too long. We took the cable car up though and there was no line.

DH and I have done this three times. I wouldn't go down any other way. I love Santorini and I hate to leave. It's like extending our visit a little. Yes there are donkey smells and you have to watch where you step but there are also fantastic views and it's part of the Santorini experience. We have walked down in the dark and the trail is lit. There are a few places where it's a little dark between the lights.

Down took around 10 minutes for us. Take a very deep breath of fresh air before you take your first step...it will be your last for a brief time. :eek: Really, it's not that bad. We wore tennis shoes since we were hiking and could hose them off. I would not want to be wearing open toed sandals but that's just me. The scenery is so gorgeous, the donkey smell for ten minutes or so is so worth it! Have a great trip.

If I'm afraid of heights, will I be able to walk down? By the way, what is the cost of the cable car right up or down or return ride?

The price each way in November 2009 was 4 euros for the cable car and 5 euros for donkey.

I'm also afraid of heights but I didn't find it scary. (I rode a donkey both ways.) The steps serpentine up the cliff and they are probably 6-8 feet wide in most places so it's not like you have to be on the edge looking down. There is also a ledge, maybe about 2 feet high so it's not like you have to worry about slipping and falling over the edge. However, the donkeys feel it is their path and they will walk right into people even if there is plenty of room to go around them, so be aware. The view is spectacular.

Thank you D4. Not expensive at all. I would feel sad for the poor donkey doing all this work non-stop so I may opt for the cable car up and walk down. I appreciate your great description of the whole experience. I'm sure the view will compensate for my fear of heights. I can't wait until September. Thanks!

Ok. I've heard that it can be crowded at the gondola when it's time to head back down to the pier for the tender. An there will be four ships docked at the same time.:eek:

If I decided to make my way back going down the stairs' date=' how long will it take me ? Is the path illuminated at night ? I am a fit 40 year old with no mobility issues.

Thanks for your input,

Lil' Baba[/quote']

We used the gondola and the trip was very quick (a couple of minutes) and the wait was not long (for us it was about 5 minutes going up and about 10 minutes coming down).

FYI - We were told by others that we should buy our tickets down at the same time we purchased our tickets up, but the people running the funicular would not let us do that...

If I'm afraid of heights, will I be able to walk down?

Yes, the steps are shallow enough, the walk down is not scary at all. The cable car up might frighten people with acrophobia. It's fast, though, so it's over before you have much chance to be scared.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife still has not forgiven me for convincing her to walk down those steps some years ago; they seem to go on forever. It is sort of like taking a mule trip from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon to the canyon floor: interesting to do once, but once is enough. I would plan on taking 20 minutes to descend. The views are memorable.

Thank you D4. Not expensive at all. I would feel sad for the poor donkey doing all this work non-stop so I may opt for the cable car up and walk down. I appreciate your great description of the whole experience. I'm sure the view will compensate for my fear of heights. I can't wait until September. Thanks!

Good for you! We feel the same about using the donkeys. A donkey ride is not necessary to have a good time in Santorini, though many will disagree (and some quite aggressively).

Be prepared for possible disagreement. There is debate about the care and welfare of the donkeys. I will always err on the side of the animal, not the human who has other modes of transportation easily available. Everyone follows their own conscience but some posters who love to ride the donkeys and feel their Santorini experience is just not complete without it don't seem to want to hear opinions regarding animals that are different than their own!

• 3 years later...

We are planning a trip to Santorini with our 6 year old son. Should we be concerned about his safety if we decide to walk down the cliff either due to the potential for falling over the edge of the path or donkey collision? We are looking at making the trip down after dark too if that is a complicating factor.

We are planning a trip to Santorini with our 6 year old son. Should we be concerned about his safety if we decide to walk down the cliff either due to the potential for falling over the edge of the path or donkey collision? We are looking at making the trip down after dark too if that is a complicating factor.

Zero risk of falling over the edge, there's a thick stone wall mebbe 4ft high.

Haven't come across many donkeys late in the day, no significant risk of a coming-together with a donkey.

Don't know about wet weather, but that late in the day donkey doo-doos will have turned to dry dust & may blow in the odd gust of wind. Not pleasant, but not as dire as it sounds.

But some stone setts are very smooth, shiny - and slippery. That's your main risk, the slippery ones are pretty obvious to see & avoid in daylight, but steady yourself by holding the wall & carry or hold onto junior.

JB :)

Just make sure you have plenty of time. These stairs are very uneven and can be slippery. You wouldn't want to have to hurry down. It is a long way down but only takes about 20 minutes.

10406785_10201352376366394_930801661479254910_n.jpg

536053_2843613264457_1106623346_n.jpg

Just make sure you have plenty of time. These stairs are very uneven and can be slippery. You wouldn't want to have to hurry down. It is a long way down but only takes about 20 minutes.

10406785_10201352376366394_930801661479254910_n.jpg

536053_2843613264457_1106623346_n.jpg

Is there a railing to hold onto. (It doesn't look like it from your photo).