Stockholm Tour Guide

Kugel

Can anyone recommend a tour guide in Stockholm vs a ship tour? I know it is doable on our own but might be a bit much. not sure what to do.

Tour guides in Stockholm are unionized with rates around $100 a hour, plus, plus. We consider a private guide, but it was not cost efficient for us. I contacted several of them and they seems nice and good. Maybe you could do an introductory ship tour that gives you a good overview and visits Vasa, then do the rest of the day on your own. It depends on how flexible is your budgets. Stockholm is not like St. Petersburg. Most of the town's top attractions are fairly close together, easy to do, etc. This below website will connect you with the various tour guides in Stockholm:

http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/To-Do/Attractions/the-association-of-authorized-local-guides/1939

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If you are wondering how to do or what to see, there are several good "walking tours" on various web sites and, of course, Rick Steves has a walking tour in his Scandanavia Book. I've found his books particularly good for DIY tours of cities.

Greg

Just back from Stockholm and we did this port on our own. We went to the Vassa museum. With your entry you can see a short file that if it isn't in English, has English subtitles. Then every half hour they have an English guide that provides a tour of the ship/museum. It was very interesting and worthwhile. We then went to the Royal Palace for the changing of the guards, walked around old town, then walked to the Ice Bar. It was a full day but alot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...

We just booked private tour of Stockholm with Steinthor of STOEX.

He will be meeting us at the pier for 4 hour tour.

http://stoex.com/

Steinthor answered our emails right away and gave me a list of sites we will be seeing on top of visiting Vasa.

• 7 months later...

Hi, how was this tour?

Thanks, Sandra

Steinthor answered our emails right away and gave me a list of sites we will be seeing on top of visiting Vasa.

wongri,

which of the private tours did you book and how much are they charging? Could you share the list of sites included?

Thanks!

wongri,

which of the private tours did you book and how much are they charging? Could you share the list of sites included?

Thanks![/quote

Yes, please let me know. I am so very confused as to which type of transportation to use for what. If you get the Stockholm Card, it covers public transportation and some ferries, however it doesn't cover the ferry to Vasa Museum. BUT if you buy a tourist card, it covers the ferry over to the Vasa. AND if you want to HOHO, that is another cost. I feel as though I will be "cost to death" by the transportation variance in Stockholm Maybe I am over-reacting but that is how I feel. That is why I am NOW looking at a private tour. Please share the cost info for this company. Also, we dock at 7:30, leave at 4:00. Nothing opens until 10:00. Sorry to vent.....but I am frustrated.

Sandra

Yes, please let me know. I am so very confused as to which type of transportation to use for what. If you get the Stockholm Card, it covers public transportation and some ferries, however it doesn't cover the ferry to Vasa Museum. BUT if you buy a tourist card, it covers the ferry over to the Vasa. AND if you want to HOHO, that is another cost. I feel as though I will be "cost to death" by the transportation variance in Stockholm Maybe I am over-reacting but that is how I feel. That is why I am NOW looking at a private tour. Please share the cost info for this company. Also, we dock at 7:30, leave at 4:00. Nothing opens until 10:00. Sorry to vent.....but I am frustrated. Sandra

Don't, Sandra, feel too frustrated!!! Most of Stockholm is fairly easy to navigate and do. Many of the key attractions (historic, old city; Royal Palace, harbor, etc.) are very close together and within easy walking distance.

When are you visiting Stockholm??? In the summer, the Vasa Museum is open at 8:30 am. Early in the am, you can walk around the Gamin Stan and see its great architecture and charm. The shops might not be open, but that saves lots of money and time. What's the size of your group??? Personal mobility?? Maybe the Stockholm Card and/or public transit works well. Walking can also be very good and then you could use a cab ride or two to save time and effort on your logistics as another option. Lots of different ways and travel methods to make things work in wonderful Stockholm. Below are a few of my visual samples for what you can see and do that is fairly closely located together in central Stockholm.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 34,200 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. To the left in the picture is where the Gamia Stan area starts.:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

Overlooking the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Grand Hotel. From its location, you can see the Royal Palace and other great architecture in this historic area. The Grand Hotel was opened in 1874 and hosts Nobel Prize winner during the ceremony period.:

StockhGrandHotel.jpg

Connected to the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view from the bridge to the Vasa Museum of the many different buildings along this grand Strandvagen boulevard. Completed in time for the 1897 Stockholm World’s Fair, it became known as one of the most prestigious addresses in town.:

StockhHarborBldg.jpg

The architecture of buildings along Stockholm’s historic waterfront.:

1A-Stockholm-WaterfrontBldgs.jpg

There are many outside dining options in Gamla Stan or “old town” area.

StockhDineOutside.jpg

Here's a statute you will see as you walk around in the Gamia Stan area.:

StockholmOldTownStatute.jpg

Also, we dock at 7:30, leave at 4:00. Nothing opens until 10:00. Sorry to vent.....but I am frustrated.

Sandra

Hello Sandra

As Terry says, you can have a very good day on your own in Stockholm, assuming your personal mobility is reasonable, or even if it isn't. Pick 2 or 3 big things you want to see and stick with that. One will surely be the Vasa

because it's utterly fascinating. The entrance fee was about 120 Skr.

I had less time than you so and took a Ho-ho boat which I didn't use to the max by any means but it wasn't expensive and it gives a different view of the city as well as getting you around. This gives an idea of central Stockholm and the harbour area near to Gamla Stan

By all means fix up a defined schedule if you can but even if you've nothing set up when you arrive it's very easy to enjoy yourself just walking around - but don't miss the Vasa.

All the best, Tony

How did you get from the ship to the vasa? Or from the ship to the HOHO bus that I see takes you to Vasa.

We docked at Nynasham :( so were dropped by coach at the Opera House. From there it is a 20-25 minute walk to the Vasa Museum, past the Grand Hotel and along Strandvagen boulevard (which you can see in my second video, post 11, or Terry's photo in post 10).

So if your ship docks near Gamla Stan it would be a similar distance walk, maybe 5 minutes more. Can't really comment about Ho-hos but they must be easily available in that central area if you don't want to walk it.

wongri,

Thanks![/quote

Yes, please let me know. I am so very confused as to which type of transportation to use for what. If you get the Stockholm Card, it covers public transportation and some ferries, however it doesn't cover the ferry to Vasa Museum. BUT if you buy a tourist card, it covers the ferry over to the Vasa. AND if you want to HOHO, that is another cost. I feel as though I will be "cost to death" by the transportation variance in Stockholm Maybe I am over-reacting but that is how I feel. That is why I am NOW looking at a private tour. Please share the cost info for this company. Also, we dock at 7:30, leave at 4:00. Nothing opens until 10:00. Sorry to vent.....but I am frustrated.

Sandra

Alla-tour.com has a 5 hour Grand Stockholm tour for $120. You could change the itinerary if you want. I did as I also wanted an inside visit to City Hall. You would have to get a group from CC together though. A ship tour you just have to sign up.

One of the advantages of a tour is you get preferance at The Vasa and other sites and do not have to wait in line as individuals do.

Alla-tour.com has a 5 hour Grand Stockholm tour for $120. You could change the itinerary if you want. I did as I also wanted an inside visit to City Hall. You would have to get a group from CC together though. A ship tour you just have to sign up.

One of the advantages of a tour is you get preferance at The Vasa and other sites and do not have to wait in line as individuals do.

Is the above cost ($120.00) per person or is it the total cost for the 5 hours grand Stockholm? thank you in advance.

xlixer

Hi Terry,

We dock at 7:30 at either Frihamnen or Stadsgarden. RCCL says Frihamnen and the website says Stadsgarden. I send an email to RCCL, but haven't heard from them yet. We arrive on May 27, and according to the website, Vasa doesn't open until 10am. Should we just walk around Skansen or go to Gamla Stans first? I also want to go to the Nordic Museum. City Hall is also on the list. If nothing opens until 10am, to me that is 2 1/2 hours of wasted time. What is your advice? Sandra

Your pics are wonderful--thanks for sharing:)))

Thanks Tony. Right now I need to find out what opens at 8am and work from that...

We want to go to Vasa, Nordic Museum, Gamla Stans, City Hall. The Ice Bar has been omitted from the list. I guess we will go to Gamla Stans first. I like to have a plan in place, however that is all it is: a preliminary plan with alot of flexibility. If Vasa opened at 8:30, that would be the first place we go, however the 10:00 opening changes that. I don't want to be concerned with the public transportation but I don't want to over-spend on something I don't end up at least breaking even. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks, Sandra

Hi Terry, We dock at 7:30 at either Frihamnen or Stadsgarden. RCCL says Frihamnen and the website says Stadsgarden. I send an email to RCCL, but haven't heard from them yet. We arrive on May 27, and according to the website, Vasa doesn't open until 10am. Should we just walk around Skansen or go to Gamla Stans first? I also want to go to the Nordic Museum. City Hall is also on the list. If nothing opens until 10am, to me that is 2 1/2 hours of wasted time. What is your advice? Sandra Your pics are wonderful--thanks for sharing:)))

THANKS, Sandra, for the nice comments on the pictures! It's the beauty of Stockholm that deserves the credit. You've still got two and a half months until your arrival there. I'm sure they'll get your docking place sorted out.

Gamia Stans would be my first choice, if you like history, architecture, design, etc., for that "filler" earlier in the am. Have you looked at a book like Eyewitness for ideas/visuals on the various places in and around central Stockholm. Don't try to do "EVERYTHING" in Stockholm!!! There are too many potential options. I'd read more on the Nordic Museum versus their City Hall. It might be a choice of one or the other.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 34,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

THANKS, Sandra, for the nice comments on the pictures! It's the beauty of Stockholm that deserves the credit. You've still got two and a half months until your arrival there. I'm sure they'll get your docking place sorted out.

Gamia Stans would be my first choice, if you like history, architecture, design, etc., for that "filler" earlier in the am. Have you looked at a book like Eyewitness for ideas/visuals on the various places in and around central Stockholm. Don't try to do "EVERYTHING" in Stockholm!!! There are too many potential options. I'd read more on the Nordic Museum versus their City Hall. It might be a choice of one or the other.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 34,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Thanks Terry, that is what we will do..Gamla Stans first, then Skansen. Eyewitness, Travel Stockholm or Sweden or Scandinavia?

Archived