Train to Civitavecchia - fast train

conbon78

If I can manage to book online, how do i get seats together, can only see choices for window middle or aisle, for first ticket, where will the second person be assigned

I'm pretty sure that you pick one person and then it asks you about the 2nd. We thought that was strange as well.

And for Dutchc - please do NOT take a cab from the train station to the port. Our friends were scammed...the taxi driver told them it was 20 euros and drove them around the town (to make it look like it was far away). You can see the port from the train station. Its about a 5 minute walk.

thanks to all... I was trying to decide on the train vs a taxi... since there is only two of us we'll do the train...

but do we have to prebook the train?? or can we just show up and buy our tickets there??

we'll be going out of Rome this coming Sunday (4th of july)

Not sure which direction you are traveling, but you can indeed buy your tickets on the spot. If buying In Civitavecchia, go to the newsstand inside the terminal and ask for a BIRG, 9 euros/pp. If departing from a station in Rome, you can use machines or the live ticket seller. If you are going one way, it's just 4.50 euros. Be sure to validate in the yellow box!

If you are traveling to the port with luggage, be forewarned that the platform (binario) for Civitavecchia is quite a long ways from the main part of the terminal. They don't give you the track numbers until 15 minutes before departure so you have to hustle a bit. If yuo plan well, you can get the train at one of the other Rome stations (Ostiense, San Pietro) and not have to deal with the huge long walk. The downside is that the trains don't stay in the station very long, so you have to be prepared to lift your luggage on board as soon as the train stops. There's enough time, you just have to be ready. And remember--validate!

Thank you abOsi and Euro Cruiser for the prices. It is slightly cheaper for the four of us to take the train (takes about the same amount of time as in a taxi) than a taxi van. However, I'm assuming that the taxi will take us right to the entrance of the port.

Where on earth did you find a van for less than €18 ? (4.50/ea is the train)

• 2 weeks later...
It's no wonder this is so confusing for folks.

There are four different types of trains between Termini and Civitavecchia each day (Monday - Saturday, I didn't check the Sunday schedule).

There is the fastest, the ES City train that the OP used. It makes the trip in 41 minutes, with no stops, for Euro 17,50 in first class or Euro 12,50 in second class. There are four of these trains each day, between 6 AM and 6 PM.

Next is the almost-as-fast IC trains that make the trip in 49 minutes. They make one stop between Rome Termini and Civitavecchia, at Rome Ostiense, and the cost is Euro 11,50 in first class and Euro 9,00 in second class. There are only two of these each day between 6 AM and 6 PM, at 9:46 AM and 3:46 PM.

Then there are the two regional trains, the less slow one and the really slow one.

The less slow one takes 59 minutes, costs Euro 7,00 in first class and Euro 4,50 in second. There are five of these each day (6 AM - 6 PM).

Finally, there is the slow regional train, which requires 1:18 minutes from Termini to Civitavecchia, has only second class cars, and costs Euro 4,50. There are 19 of these each day between 6 AM - 6 PM.

Thanks so much for posting this information, it is very helpful. :)

For the unenlightened - what does BIRG stand for? :-)

Last time I was in rome we used taxis as we had luggage AND four people. This time we will only be doing a day trip off the boat into Rome, so I'm hoping to figure out the best way to go in.

Thanks!

Biglietto Integrato Regionale Giornaliero, which means an integrated (multi transit), regional day ticket.

Thanks for the clarification :-) I'm getting so excited for my trip, but all the details are definitely mindblowing!

Archived