Train to Civitavecchia - fast train

conbon78

My husband and I took the train from the Termini to Civitavecchia. We found it so simple that we are surprised people waste money on limos/cars, etc. If you book it right - you can get the express train. There are NO stops on the express train. It only takes 41 minutes It goes from the Termini direct to Civitavecchia. It DOES have space for luggage. Trust me...I traveled with my wedding dress, plus all of our luggage and it was super easy.

Before you leave for Rome, go online and look up the train times on http://www.trenitalia.com. Under the "train category" the one that says "ES City" is the express train. They don't run as often, so its important to know when it does run. You will get assigned seats for this train, plus there is space for luggage so you don't have to worry about pickpockets, etc. I've attached a picture of the website times. Important to know...tickets for trains/buses in Italy ALWAYS need to be validated EXCEPT if you have assigned seats. Therefore, on the express train, you do NOT need to validate the tickets, but you do for the regular train.

We booked 2nd class and it was completely empty. Its a beautiful trip out to the port, so if you want to save a lot of money - just take the train. Its simple! And once you get off the train - just walk. It takes less than 10 minutes to the front of the cruise terminal. Then you board the free shuttle to the ship. Hope that helps!

train.jpg.aca38e27285b50c0e6623eb8838435d6.jpg

Does anyone know why you can't pre-book on trenitalia from the US? I have a user id and password, yet everytime I attempt to pay by CC, it doesn't accept them for the payment.

For some reason, I thought I bought tickets this way in the past, but I could be wrong.

This won't make you feel any better about it, but the reason is that the Trenitalia system usually does not accept bank cards from non-Italian banks.

The frustrating part is that this isn't always true, so you occasionally read about someone who has had success using a US or Canadian based card, as in this recent example: http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/862600685/m/303005190001

Somehow I don't think it helps to know that it can work ... when it isn't working for you.

My husband and I took the train from the Termini to Civitavecchia. We found it so simple that we are surprised people waste money on limos/cars, etc. If you book it right - you can get the express train. There are NO stops on the express train. It only takes 41 minutes It goes from the Termini direct to Civitavecchia. It DOES have space for luggage. Trust me...I traveled with my wedding dress, plus all of our luggage and it was super easy.

Before you leave for Rome, go online and look up the train times on http://www.trenitalia.com. Under the "train category" the one that says "ES City" is the express train. They don't run as often, so its important to know when it does run. You will get assigned seats for this train, plus there is space for luggage so you don't have to worry about pickpockets, etc. I've attached a picture of the website times. Important to know...tickets for trains/buses in Italy ALWAYS need to be validated EXCEPT if you have assigned seats. Therefore, on the express train, you do NOT need to validate the tickets, but you do for the regular train.

We booked 2nd class and it was completely empty. Its a beautiful trip out to the port, so if you want to save a lot of money - just take the train. Its simple! And once you get off the train - just walk. It takes less than 10 minutes to the front of the cruise terminal. Then you board the free shuttle to the ship. Hope that helps!

I agree, best way to travel to Civ., just keep in mind:

You need to be able to get your luggage on & off train ( a few steep steps)

there will be stairs when you arrive at Civ., again, you have to be able to get your luggage up/down these

the ticket you get is not always an assigned seat... our cruise left on a Mon., bought 2 first class tickets, didn't realize we were not assigned a seat, the train was packed! Ended up sitting on our luggage in the vestibule at the front of our train,(was actually fun) If you are in good shape, & familiar with train travel, you'll be fine, (we've spent many an hour traveling the bart system in S.F.) If you have any mobility problems, or back problems, probably not a good idea.

Don't hesitate to take the regular trains, either. They run frequently and take just over an hour and are less than half the cost. When we went to the port last November leaving at about 11:30 am, four of us had a car to ourselves. I had made sure it was a train which ended at Civitavecchia so we did not even have to worry about when to get off.

If you don't mind, could you explain what you do with "checked bag" sized luggage? Is there some sort of a luggage rack inside the rail car, or does it get stored above your seat?

If you don't mind, could you explain what you do with "checked bag" sized luggage? Is there some sort of a luggage rack inside the rail car, or does it get stored above your seat?

Hi, we took used the first class non stop train to the port, DH & I had 2 large suitcases, 1 carry on, & each had a back pack, there are racks above the seats where a pretty good sized suitcase will fit.. you need to be able to lift it up, as well as get it down. We also previously took a regional train (reg. class) from the airport to Rome, in that case, we traveled with our suitcases next to us.

Yes there are racks above the seats, similar to an airplane. There is also a section where the luggage can be stacked. If you sit close to the center of the train, you'll sit right by it.

This won't make you feel any better about it, but the reason is that the Trenitalia system usually does not accept bank cards from non-Italian banks.

The frustrating part is that this isn't always true, so you occasionally read about someone who has had success using a US or Canadian based card, as in this recent example: http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/862600685/m/303005190001

Somehow I don't think it helps to know that it can work ... when it isn't working for you.

I used my Canadian Visa yesterday to book tickets through Trenitalia without any trouble. The system is picky about the time delay in adding the tickets to your cart and when you purchase them. You might try again?

With trains from Rome some terminate at Civitecchia whereas others go beyond there . The terminating trains are best as it gives you plenty of time to get to the end of the carriage and get your bags off . With the through trains that stop at Civitecchia you need to be quick on your feet and ready to alight immediately the train stops .

How much is the ride from Termini to the Port per person on the Express train? Just wondering if it's still more economical for 4 people to book a van rather than take the train.

Thanks!

How much is the ride from Termini to the Port per person on the Express train? Just wondering if it's still more economical for 4 people to book a van rather than take the train.

Thanks!

12.50 euro in 2nd class (as shown in the original poster's attachment posted above).

It's no wonder this is so confusing for folks.

There are four different types of trains between Termini and Civitavecchia each day (Monday - Saturday, I didn't check the Sunday schedule).

There is the fastest, the ES City train that the OP used. It makes the trip in 41 minutes, with no stops, for Euro 17,50 in first class or Euro 12,50 in second class. There are four of these trains each day, between 6 AM and 6 PM.

Next is the almost-as-fast IC trains that make the trip in 49 minutes. They make one stop between Rome Termini and Civitavecchia, at Rome Ostiense, and the cost is Euro 11,50 in first class and Euro 9,00 in second class. There are only two of these each day between 6 AM and 6 PM, at 9:46 AM and 3:46 PM.

Then there are the two regional trains, the less slow one and the really slow one.

The less slow one takes 59 minutes, costs Euro 7,00 in first class and Euro 4,50 in second. There are five of these each day (6 AM - 6 PM).

Finally, there is the slow regional train, which requires 1:18 minutes from Termini to Civitavecchia, has only second class cars, and costs Euro 4,50. There are 19 of these each day between 6 AM - 6 PM.

Thank you abOsi and Euro Cruiser for the prices. It is slightly cheaper for the four of us to take the train (takes about the same amount of time as in a taxi) than a taxi van. However, I'm assuming that the taxi will take us right to the entrance of the port.

It is slightly cheaper for the four of us to take the train (takes about the same amount of time as in a taxi) than a taxi van. However, I'm assuming that the taxi will take us right to the entrance of the port.

Look, I love using the trains in Italy, but with four people and luggage it would have to be a really big savings to get me to take the train vs. a van. You are correct that the van will take you right to the entrance.

The van also eliminates the down one set of stairs and up another problem at Civitavecchia, as well as getting to Termini and getting from the Civitavecchia station to the port.

Look, I love using the trains in Italy, but with four people and luggage it would have to be a really big savings to get me to take the train vs. a van. You are correct that the van will take you right to the entrance.

The van also eliminates the down one set of stairs and up another problem at Civitavecchia, as well as getting to Termini and getting from the Civitavecchia station to the port.

I completely agree with this. I tend to use the train, but then I am often on my own and there's a BIG cost savings for one person. However, for four people I think a van sounds like a pretty attractive option.

If it's better to take the van from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia for 4 persons, then it must be even better for 6 persons with luggages as well. Correct?

Would somebody tell me how and where to get a van? Do you flag it down at the train station, or do you have to pre-book in advance on some website? And how much does a van cost? I presume it works the other way as well when I need to go to FCO from Civ.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Thank you everyone for helping me out with the train vs taxi van (for all the luggage for 4 people) decision. I will definitely use the taxi van which the last I heard from a friend that it's around $150 USD. My friend gave me the name of the taxi and driver that she used so we can pre-book it.

If it's better to take the van from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia for 4 persons, then it must be even better for 6 persons with luggages as well. Correct?

Would somebody tell me how and where to get a van? Do you flag it down at the train station, or do you have to pre-book in advance on some website? And how much does a van cost? I presume it works the other way as well when I need to go to FCO from Civ.

You should absolutely pre-book this. Although it sometimes happens, by law taxis in Rome are not supposed to pick up passengers who flag them - they are supposed to respond to a phone call reservation or pick them up at designated taxi stands.

If you need a van for six people plus luggage, reserve it. There are several threads on this board that recommend specific suppliers.

I have been trying to buy my train tickets via trenitalia several time last week and it didn't work, tried different CC and use different user id, also called my CC company and they said it is ok on our side, still not working. I give up last week. Today, I tried and it works the first try. Very strange.:confused:

Archived