Cinque Terre - what's your favorite village and why?

lrcruising

We stayed there for 3 days about 5 yrs ago. Monterosso would be the least favorite because it's more built up, but I loved all 5 ! We stayed in Monterosso; one we took the boat from Monterosso to Riomaggiore, then followed the trail back. It was wonderful to see the villages from the bay then see them by foot. Have a great time !

We will be in Cinque Terre in a few weeks and we are trying to see each village on our 1 day excursion. We know we can't stay long in each of the 5 so we'd like to know which ones are best for lingering. Thanks

Vernazza is my favorite and you can get there by ferry from Portovenere, you can also proceed on to Monterusso by ferry from Vernazza. The views from the ferry are wonderful. Also you won't be so exhausted by walking that you will be able to appreciate the charm of the villages you do stop in. Portovenere itself is wonderful too. We went by ferry, stopped in Vernazza, had a wonderful lunch in Monterusso and went back to La Spezia by train. It's was a wonderful day!

A second vote for Vernazza. We have also stayed in Monterosso which is the furthest away distance wise assuming you are porting in Livorno. I would go here first, hike from Monterossa to Vernazza (also our favorite of the hiking legs), and then have lunch in Vernazza. I would take the ferry to each of the remaining villages heading back towards the ship. If you have extra time, you can spend some time wandering around the villages and if you are tight on time, you can cut some time out.

Have a great trip!

I'll toss in my vote for Vernazza. Spent a couple of days there in May this year. It seems smaller than the others, but it also seemed less full of dumb tourist shops. Several nice places to dine, and a couple of stores to grab some bread, cheeses, salumi, and fruits and veggies if you want to put together your own lunch. I loved the walk from Vernazza to Monterosso al Mare was brutal, but my favorite. LOTS of stairs and the occasional very narrow "goat trail". If you walk just the first little bit of the trail, you'll be treated to a very nice view of Vernazza from the hillside.

Archived