Booked Panama Canal 11/29/11

doe326

Booked the Island for November 29, 2011 round trip Panama Canal cruise. Got a bump out balcony on the Caribe deck. Wanted to do this cruise for a long time. Now I just have to be patient and wait for 2011!

Agree! WOW for both the Canal and the ship (I was on the Coral but her twin, the Island, is bound to be as good). doe, you're gonna love this cruise! Since you're not doing a full transit, I'd definitely keep an eye out for the excursion that takes you all the way through the Canal in a smaller boat. The whole thing is amazing to see.

Booked the Island for November 29, 2011 round trip Panama Canal cruise. Got a bump out balcony on the Caribe deck. Wanted to do this cruise for a long time. Now I just have to be patient and wait for 2011!

Congrats! That's a great cruise...

Agree! WOW for both the Canal and the ship (I was on the Coral but her twin, the Island, is bound to be as good). doe, you're gonna love this cruise! Since you're not doing a full transit, I'd definitely keep an eye out for the excursion that takes you all the way through the Canal in a smaller boat. The whole thing is amazing to see.

That's what we are planning on doing. Don't want to miss that for sure. Any other excursions you would recommend at the other ports?

That's what we are planning on doing. Don't want to miss that for sure. Any other excursions you would recommend at the other ports?

We only had two ports in the Caribbean, Aruba and Cartagena. I didn't do anything in Aruba because I've been there on a land vacation. I'd highly recommend a day at the beach, though -- gorgeous beaches with unreal turquoise waters and blinding white sand! Aruba is different -- more of a desert island than a lush tropical paradise -- and it's interesting to take a drive out to the windward side of the island and see its rather wild, unusual landscape. But if I were only there for a few hours (which is all we were; don't know about your itinerary), I'd head for the beach.

In Cartagena, I did the Princess walking tour of the Old Town and really enjoyed it. I would have liked more time after the formal tour part to hang out in the old town, visit the Naval Museum, poke around some of the shops/check out some of the cafes and restaurants there. So next time, I'd probably just head there on my own by taxi. Some of the tours went up to the monastery with the views or visited the Fortress (we didn't go in but we did stop outside it) and people seemed pleased with those, too. But I like to be out and about rather than sitting in busses, and so I always pick the walking tour, even if it misses out on some of the main "sights." Although I was sorry to miss seeing inside the Fortress, I was pleased I did what I did, as the Old Town was really charming.

Unfortunately you will not go to the La Poppa Monestary on a Princess excursion. The buses that they use are to large to navigate the roads. The views from the monestary are not to be missed. We booked with Lee Miles (aka Mr. Emerald) for Cartegena. Very nice tour.

We loved everything about the Island, incl. the food(but not the coffee). We used the roll call and port sites and booked private tours at most of the ports. Our groups were faily small and no big buses to worry about. When stopping in Jamaica the best buys were right at the pier and no haggling necessary, especially for Appleton rums. Bought a lot of local coffee in the ports and local crafts at the pier in Panama. We had the last balcony cabin aft and was able to walk out our door onto the rear deck to watch the passage thru the canal both ways while enjoying a drink or coffee(cabin brewed).

Unfortunately you will not go to the La Poppa Monestary on a Princess excursion. The buses that they use are to large to navigate the roads. The views from the monestary are not to be missed. We booked with Lee Miles (aka Mr. Emerald) for Cartegena. Very nice tour.

We took the "Best Of Cartagena & Fortress" Princess tour and it included the Monestary: "Continue up the winding road to the Convento de la Popa, with its breathtaking view of the harbor and city. Visit the monastery with its ornate, 22-karat gold foil altar and a lovely, flower-filled courtyard."

Panama has always been on our list of cruises to do! Just booked the Coral for 10/25/11 and I'm so excited to go! Now I just spend my time saving and reading anything and everything about it.... I guess we can both learn to be patient:D Good things come to those who wait!

Panama has always been on our list of cruises to do! Just booked the Coral for 10/25/11 and I'm so excited to go! Now I just spend my time saving and reading anything and everything about it.... I guess we can both learn to be patient:D Good things come to those who wait!

It's really incredible; you're going to love it.

And look on the bright side: you have plenty of time to read David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas, all 600 pages!

And look on the bright side: you have plenty of time to read David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas, all 600 pages!

rdsqri: Thanks for the tip, I have it on my list for the library.

r&rlovescruising: I know how you feel, we just booked 9/24/11 on the Coral - Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale. Our first on the Coral and first through the canal.

This was our next dream cruise after the 30 day on the Sapphire this September. Dream after dream. :D

Snowbird

rdsqri: Thanks for the tip, I have it on my list for the library.

r&rlovescruising: I know how you feel, we just booked 9/24/11 on the Coral - Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale. Our first on the Coral and first through the canal.

This was our next dream cruise after the 30 day on the Sapphire this September. Dream after dream. :D

Snowbird

It's nice to dream and even better when your dreams come true! ;)

I just began to look for that book on Amazon so I could start reading! The fun part is learning everything before I go!

We just booked for Feb, 2012 -- Island's partial transit............... I think now that I've deposited I'd do better to forget about it for a year and then pick up the dreaming!

I will enjoy all the conversations and planning you do for 2011 -- it will help us when we get to that point.;)

• 2 months later...

Excellent, doe326...I booked the same cruise, bump-out also C622. Started the roll call yesterday! Will you join in the roll call? I need someone to look forward to this with me! Hubby and I just returned from Golden Princess cruise to Alaska, fabulous! Can't wait - it's only another 460 days!

Archived