Who insures for LONGER cruises that cost more $$$ ?

petlover

My husband and I are well-cruised but have never purchased cruise insurance before. We are considering purchasing it for a 71 day cruise around So America that we booked several months ago. I have played with some of the insurance sites (insuremytrip.com) and some say that the maximum insurance is $20,000 per person for trip cancellation (our cruise cost per person exceeds this). Others will not insure a trip of this length. (wondering who insures 4 month around the world cruises ?)

Also (reason for considering insurance) is my husband has a herniated disk for the past 30 years. It seldoms has created a problem until this year. With the help of an epidural months earlier, he would be good to go AT THE TIME WE PURCHASED THE INSURANCE so would this still be considered a pre-existing condition ? Also, can you insure for less than the actual cost of the cruise?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Marcie, I think you need to speak with a knowledgable agent; I recommend Steve at tripinsurancestore.com. Yes, he sells policies that cover your time frame and costs. Yes, you can insure less than the cost of the cruise, but not if you want to cover pre existing conditions. Policies have a look back period, so it would depend on the policy and how long that period is as well as when your husband received treatment. Steve or one of his staff can explain it all....

Thank you Cherylandtk ! That is a good website.

I'm happy to report (and may be helpful to others) that CSA allows pre-existing conditions to be included if:

1. you are healthy and not suffering from the pre-existing condition or health issues at the time of final payment

2. You purchase insurance by time of final payment or within 24 hours of making final payment.

This was very good news and as far as I know ? may be the only company allowing this. CSA agent I talked to was also very knowledgable and helpful. We have months before final payment is due so sighing relief.

My husband and I are well-cruised but have never purchased cruise insurance before. We are considering purchasing it for a 71 day cruise around So America that we booked several months ago. I have played with some of the insurance sites (insuremytrip.com) and some say that the maximum insurance is $20,000 per person for trip cancellation (our cruise cost per person exceeds this). Others will not insure a trip of this length. (wondering who insures 4 month around the world cruises ?)

Also (reason for considering insurance) is my husband has a herniated disk for the past 30 years. It seldoms has created a problem until this year. With the help of an epidural months earlier, he would be good to go AT THE TIME WE PURCHASED THE INSURANCE so would this still be considered a pre-existing condition ? Also, can you insure for less than the actual cost of the cruise?

Thank you for any suggestions.

My wife and I have taken three world cruises; each one over 100 days so I am very familiar with this.

There are companies that insure for a long cruise and for a higher price. On to take a look at is Travelex.

What we do and this is a very personal decision is that we get the full medical coverage (this would happen whether you insure the cruise for zero dollars or the entire cost of the cruise) but we insure the cruise for less than its overall cost. This approach is similar to having a deductible on a house or automobile. Insurance is all about how much risk one is willing to take.

Keith

Keith, does Travelex also allow pre-existing waiver if insured at the time of final payment ? I wouldn't want to insure at the time of booking if we weren't even sure we going since cost of insurance isn't refundable if you're iffy about going or not in the first place.

We too have gone on a couple 4 month WC's but never took out insurance for those or any cruise. It's been a gamble we were willing to take (we do have health insurance & Med-Jet) but we're considering insuring for the first time. Thanks again.

Archived