Good eats in Amsterdam

We arrive in Amsterdam the afternoon prior to our Viking Grand European journey, Sunay, July 25th. I have read Rick Steves', Frommer, Fodors and TA for many suggestions on how to spend 33 hrs in this city.

I understand, it is already getting crowded wtih tourists. I think we will take our self guided walking tour on Sunday morning. On Sat. the first thing is to take a canal boat tour. Our friends my visit, AFH. We aren't all that interested in seeing the museums. We have seen lots of them in othe cities and will see more on our trip.

Suggestions where to eat a lunch and dinner that is casual and not pricey.

thanks,

janines

My most memorable Sunday lunchtime during a visit to Amsterdam around 10 years ago was next to the floating flower market. Great place to spend a long brunch

Flower market Amsterdam

This is the only floating flower market in the world, and one of the most fragrant places of interest of Amsterdam - in all seasons. The flower stalls stand on the houseboats. You will find there all sorts of tulips, narcissus and other bulbs and flowers. The bulbs are ready for export, so you can enjoy them at home too. In December the market also sells green Christmas trees.

Located on the Singel canal between the Koningsplein and the Muntplein.

Flower market Amsterdam

This is the only floating flower market in the world, and one of the most fragrant places of interest of Amsterdam - in all seasons. The flower stalls stand on the houseboats.

Located on the Singel canal between the Koningsplein and the Muntplein.

Well, not exactly; it may be the largest, but not the only one.

There is at least one more in Bangkok and it looks more like a 'floating market'.

When you see the one in Amsterdam, you would hardly think it is 'floating'. The front is flush with the road and even from the back side it looks like a bunch of canvas tents on wooden docks. Interesting? Sure and a 'must see' if you have the time.

flower%20amsterdam.jpgfloating%20flower%20market.jpgfloating%20flower%20market%202.jpg

In regard to the self guided walking tour. If you haven't done this yet, I suggest you get books about the cities you plan to visit from the library. Rick Steves', Frommers and Fodors all have info and self guided tours. TA also has very helpful forums that members give their recommendations from previous experience. You can also get a map form the TI's in the cities.

janines

You will find a large selection of eateries in Amsterdam, even McDonalds etc. are around.

Populair for lunch are "broodjes"- sandwiches made as you like. Also pancakes are made in various places.

Inside the V & D store at Kalverstraat near Munttoren, you will find La Place. A very affordable place for snacks and meals, often made to order.

Check their openinghours in the evening.

Also around Rembrandtsplein there is a wide choice.

I second the recommendation for broodje. If you pass a place that looks like a deli, with a meat and cheese counter, that's the type of place. Just follow you nose -- lots of cured pork and fantastic cheese.

Archived