Protecting my things and other questions

cjmbcruiser

Hello,

My husband and I are going on our first cruise to the Caribbean in August. I have a couple questions.

1. How do you protect your belongings that you bring to a port if you're on an excursion? For example, we're going to Stingray City and not sure if it's safe to have my bag with camera, beach towel, sunglasses, etc left on the boat while we're out in the water.

2. Where can I find a waterproof container to put our room key, credit cards, money, etc when we're out snorkeling?

3. Do the cruises tell you the time change differences or should we figure that out all beforehand?

Thank you!!

Hello,

My husband and I are going on our first cruise to the Caribbean in August. I have a couple questions.

1. How do you protect your belongings that you bring to a port if you're on an excursion? For example, we're going to Stingray City and not sure if it's safe to have my bag with camera, beach towel, sunglasses, etc left on the boat while we're out in the water.

2. Where can I find a waterproof container to put our room key, credit cards, money, etc when we're out snorkeling?

3. Do the cruises tell you the time change differences or should we figure that out all beforehand?

Thank you!!

I can't help with the first 2, but for #3: there will be PLENTY of notices on the ship as to what time it is. Notices will be in your daily newsletter, announcements will be over the loud speakers, and when there are time changes, notes left on your bed each evening (the room steward will come into your room while you're at dinner, tidy up, and leave any messages like that.)

You do have to be aware of the time as you leave the ship in port -- and make sure you know when you have to be BACK on board -- usually 30 minutes before the ship is to set sail to the next port.

Don't rely on your cell phone, as it may show a different time than "ship time"! Many folks take a regular watch that can be set to conform with the ship's time, just to make sure they're back on board in time!

Hello,

Thank you!!

Your belonging are perfectly safe on the boat that you go to Stingray City on. The boat is always right there, and not even every necessarily gets off at the same time or you get off and on as often as you want.

They sell waterproof containers on the ship.

Generally unless you are told differently you stay on ships time regardless of what time it is in the port you are visiting.

Never travel with anything you cannot live without; expensive cameras,clothing, watches, jewelry. Carry only small amounts cash. Never leave anything of value on excursion boat, bag on restaurant chair etc. I use a cheap plastic watch, disposable camera, only costume jewelry on travels.Passports never on shore, only in cabin safe.

I usually carry a copy of my passport in my travel wallet, smaller verision for tours. I carry the copy even when we are in U.S. ports. Stay on ships time as that is when your ride leaves so to speak. On tours just take what you need, but I've never had a problem with the tours, they would lose their affilation with the cruise line if things were stolen. As to waterproof container--Cruise critic store has them. Must important of all ENJOY.:)

no one will bother your sunglasses, flip-flops or t-shirts! It's only expensive electronics that folks are likely to take.

If you leave things on your excursion transport, it'll be fine. You won't need much (if any) money, so don't bring more than a few bucks.

You will not need your passport onshore.

I make sure all the swimsuits I buy have a pocket with velcro or a zipper. I keep my ID, cruise card, credit card, and cash in that pocket and go swimming with it. My camera is waterproof, so it goes in the water with me.

I try to dry off the cash after swimming, but I've never had anyone turn down cash just because it was damp.

when we sailed from galvestan we stayed on texas time for the whole cruise

when we sailed alaska we did change time closer to the end of the cruise- but there were plenty of notices about the time change.

Hello,

Thank you!!

Your items should be safe on your excursion just do not leave money, credit cards etc

laying out.

Check this for waterproof bag: http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/belt-case-br-824-1653-0.html

The ship will give you the time if there is a change. Announcements are made about time.

Never travel with anything you cannot live without; expensive cameras,clothing, watches, jewelry. Carry only small amounts cash. Never leave anything of value on excursion boat, bag on restaurant chair etc. I use a cheap plastic watch, disposable camera, only costume jewelry on travels.Passports never on shore, only in cabin safe.

zoncom-- if your passport is in the ships safe and for some accidental reason you miss the ship, how do you fly home. you positively, absolutely need your passport to fly.. oh i know what you will say, nothing will happen to me that i will miss the ship. you never know. and all you can do with a copy of a passport is to help you expedite the ordering of a new one. you can only fly with the original......... my wife and i never leave the ship without it......

I read an account of someone who lost their passport on these forums. It seems if you miss the ship the crew can go to your room, get your passport out of your safe and even gather your belongings and have them delivered to you. At least the passport is safe and you don't have to worry about losing it or having it stolen. If its gone, its gone and you have to go through the headache of getting a new one. If its in the safe, at least you can get it back. In some ports you have to carry your passport but not in all ports.

Of course, this is a personal matter. I would rather have it on the ship safe and sound but others feel better with it on their person. There are advantages and disadvantages either way. And if you miss the ship, you will probably have to spend time and money to get home or catch the ship in the next port. If you leave the passport on the ship, you will probably have to wait for the ship to get the passport to you. Either way, its a pain.

zoncom-- if your passport is in the ships safe and for some accidental reason you miss the ship, how do you fly home. you positively, absolutely need your passport to fly.. oh i know what you will say, nothing will happen to me that i will miss the ship. you never know. and all you can do with a copy of a passport is to help you expedite the ordering of a new one. you can only fly with the original......... my wife and i never leave the ship without it......

Some of us don't have that option though. Both cruises, our passports were taken from us when we boarded and returned to us before we disembarked.

Your things should be safe on board the excursion boat. My husband always buys bathing suits that have the plastic pocket. We only take what we really need, like one credit card, a small amount of cash and ID. Purchase a disposible camera and cheap watch. I have found watches for under $10 at stores like WalMart.

Archived