Four nights mid May - What to do Please?

santamaria

My husband and I will be taking our 7-year-old grandson on Sun 5/16 from Whittier. Will be in Anchorage from 5/12 and renting car. Too early for TWT, so is it worthwhile to go north as far as Talkeetna, and if so Princess Lodge or Alaskan Lodge? Is it reasonable to think we could drive there after arriving at 2:30? Since we only have 4 nights, I really don't want to stay in Anchorage. Would also like to stay 2 nights Princess Kenai (or that area) - we are not doing any tours, so can plan our schedule. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

You might want to consider staying in Seward for a couple of days. I have three kids about the same age and there are some activities in the Seward area that I think would be great for kids ( we're going to be there in August.) You can visit the Alaska Sea Life Center, visit sled dogs and ride a sled (on land, not snow) at the Sealey's Ididaride and also take a Kenai Fjord Cruise to view wildlife. The cruise might be a little long for a 7-year old. Seward is only 125 miles from Anchorage. Also, when you need to board your ship in Whittier, you might want to consider taking the train from Anchorage. It leaves at 10 am and gets to Whittier at 12:20. I know my children are excited to be going on a train. I think it's great that you're taking your grandchild on this trip.

I WOULD spend at least a day touring Anchorage- just an excellent city with plenty to do. Then yes head north to Talkeetna- forget the Princess McKinley lodge it's 50 miles away and nothing in the area. Overnight in Talkeetna, and consider a B&B perhaps? If only the three of you, consider an upstairs room at the Talkeetna Roadhouse- shared spotless bathroom, but a REAL Alaska experience. :) Just excellent breakfast- so don't miss. There are small museums and flightseeing. I would then head south to Seward- overnight in Anchorage? or drive 5 hours Talkeetna - Seward. I can't recommend the Kenai boat tours with young children- just too iffy, only you know your child, but you have no way out if disruption happens. And kids are rarely impressed with scenery. :( I also would not consider the Princess Kenai lodge- there are plenty of excellent properties besides the costly princess properties. Again, nothing in this area except fishing and more fishing. :) Seward has way more, request visitor guides http://www.anchorage.net http://www.sewardak.org

Archived