How Inclusive Are FOD Meetings?

Dancer Bob

While listening to a straight single woman complaining about the lack of single guys on cruise ships, she mentioned that "the only interesting guys are the gays". When I asked if she went to FOD, she said "those are just gay hook-up sessions".

So the question is, do you welcome straight women who think you're interesting, just as people? Or is FOD by gays for gays?

We often have people join the get togethers that are straight. And I have never seen them snubbed - in fact a little mixing it up makes it all the more interesting.

And I have never perceived these meetings as 'hook up sessions' - usually (in my experience) most people attending are already long term couples.

While listening to a straight single woman complaining about the lack of single guys on cruise ships, she mentioned that "the only interesting guys are the gays". When I asked if she went to FOD, she said "those are just gay hook-up sessions".

So the question is, do you welcome straight women who think you're interesting, just as people? Or is FOD by gays for gays?

I just wonder how she would know that they are "hook-up sessions" :rolleyes:

I guess I wouldn't have an issue with a straight woman attending but then I could not have an issue with straight men attending... so when does it change from a gays-and-lesbians gathering to just another group of people having drinks?

I just wonder how she would know that they are "hook-up sessions" :rolleyes:

I guess I wouldn't have an issue with a straight woman attending but then I could not have an issue with straight men attending... so when does it change from a gays-and-lesbians gathering to just another group of people having drinks?

When those attending know it is a gay get together the dynamics are quite a bit different - and inevitably the straight people are the minority. Which makes it much different.....

I would guess that any straight people, man or woman, who choose to attend an FOD party are probably open minded, fun loving and there to meet other like people and be supportive. It should not change the tenor of the gathering.

I cruise with my mother as my partner doesn't really enjoy it. She has always been welcomed in the get-togethers as have other straight "Friends". Also I've been to ones with lesbians as well. It is called Friends of Dorothy, after all, not ONLY GAY MEN ALLOWED....that's a whole 'nother meeting:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

On our recent QM2 TA crossing we shared a table with an older straight couple. The wife raises money for homeless HIV+ people in rural Alabama. One night at dinner we were talking about our FOD happy hour that afternoon and she asked if they could come the next day and we said "sure!".

The next day they were sitting there when we arrived. The hostess had approached them when they sat down in the FOD area and asked them if they knew where they were at and Ann, knowing the real question that was being asked, said "Darling, we're in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean!". All of the friends that we made treated them like any other people there (outside of any clandestine hook ups that may have been going on) and we were all having a great time until some bitchy queen rudely interjected that he thought that the conversation was boring.

The point - there are people who will openly welcome straight people at the FODs and there are people who won't.

How does one know about or find out about an FOD meeting? Are the listed in the daily publications that are put in the rooms or do you have to check them out elsewhere?

Don

Don --

It largely depends on the cruiseline you are with. I've seen some lines, such as Celebrity or Holland America, publish the meeting times and locations as part of their daily lists which also included AA meeting listings, etc. I've also seen lines publish nothing, but will freely discuss FoD at the customer support desks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived