Rhino Riders excursion/St. Martin

Hello. Looking for opinions from people who have done this excursion recently through RCI. Do you recommend it? It is for myself, 45, and my DS, 14. Do you feel you have to be really adventurous to enjoy this?

PS. I have also posted on St. Martin site however, this forum gets more traffic.:)

I went on this back in October 2003 on my honeymoon cruise. My husband and I thought it was a lot of fun. Just be careful at the place you snorkel at (if it's the same place we went). I almost bumped into a sea urchin.

We did the rhino riders in St. Maarten back in 2008. We booked independently, not through the cruise line.

It was me, DH and our two kids ages 7 and 10 at the time. It was a lot of fun, but it can be a bit rough on the ocean with the waves, but we didn't have any problems. We had one adult and one kid on each unit. My younger child loved it, the older one not so much. I would do it again though!

In March of 2009 we did the Surf and Turf Adventure version. It is an all day Trip 9 to 4. It involves driving the Boats and a Jeep. You really get to see the best of both sides of the Island from land and sea.

The only part of the trip I did not like to much is the swim/snorkel spot. By water you drive you boat over to the French side, to a beach. They anchor off shore and you have to swim up to the beach. The water is deep. Once your ready to leave you swim back to the boats.

The beach area was good. It is in front of houses and a restaurant, but it was a nice place to sit and swim on the beach.

The rest of the tour was great,and you get to see a lot of the French and Dutch side of the Island. I give this excursion 4 stars out of 5. Only four stars because of the swim to the beach which could be hard on older people and younger children.

We booked this excursion independently last Nov with my kids (16 & 14). We had fun, except that our boats kept stalling! There were six boats plus the tour guide, and every single boat quit at least once! Spent quite a bit of our time waiting around for the guide to fix the engines so we could continue. If we did it again, I would pay the extra few $$ and go through the ship excursions, I think that they had the newer boats and a friendlier tour guide (ours seemed to be suffering from a hangover or something--not too pleasant!)

Archived