Crowne Plaza Shuttle Prices

vplsh

We will be staying at the Crowne Plaza on July 10 prior to our Mariner cruise. We have rented a car to be returned to the Long Beach Airport. Would it be better to return the car and take the shuttle back to the hotel, then their free shuttle to the port, or should we just return the car to the airport and take a cab to the port? Does anyone know the cost of the shuttle from LGB to the Crowne Plaza? What would cabs cost from the airport to the cruise port?

Thanks in advance.

Lisa

We will be staying at the Crowne Plaza on July 10 prior to our Mariner cruise. We have rented a car to be returned to the Long Beach Airport. Would it be better to return the car and take the shuttle back to the hotel, then their free shuttle to the port, or should we just return the car to the airport and take a cab to the port? Does anyone know the cost of the shuttle from LGB to the Crowne Plaza? What would cabs cost from the airport to the cruise port?

I would return the car then use the hotel's shuttle to the pier...

Taxis are EXPENSIVE in LA...This tool:

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/los-angeles/long+beach/san+pedro

...estimates an approximately $60 taxi fare...

BUT, according to the City of Long Beach:

http://longbeach.gov/airport/airline_travelers/transport/shuttle.asp

...there is supposed to be a FLAT FEE of $45 (1-1-2009 prices...may have gone up)...So, If you grab a taxi at the Airport, make sure they don't conveniently forget about the flat fee...

PrimeTime Shuttle:

https://primetimeshuttle.hudsonltd.net/res

...quotes $32 for two passengers in a shared shuttle one way LGB to San Pedro...

Personally, for an extra $13, I'd just take the taxi...but, if every dollar counts, the shuttle is a decent option...If every last dollar really counts, a shared shuttle LGB to San Pedro for ONE person is $16...You could drop off your spouse with the luggage at the hotel and drive back to LGB by yourself and then just come back by shuttle by yourself...

Good luck...

Another alternative may be the bus. (Yes, there is a bus system out here.)

The ride from Long Beach Airport to the Crowne Plaza San Pedro is $1.75 including 1 transfer. The downside is that it would take about 90 minutes as opposed to something less than 30 minutes by taxi or shuttle.

Use the following website to plan:

http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php

Starting point - Long Beach Airport

Ending point - Crowne Plaza LA Harbor Hotel

Another alternative may be the bus. (Yes, there is a bus system out here.)

The ride from Long Beach Airport to the Crowne Plaza San Pedro is $1.75 including 1 transfer. The downside is that it would take about 90 minutes as opposed to something less than 30 minutes by taxi or shuttle.

Use the following website to plan:

http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php

Starting point - Long Beach Airport

Ending point - Crowne Plaza LA Harbor Hotel

Yeah, sure...you COULD do that...but WHY?

I seem to always get into arguments with some people on here who for some unfathomabloe reason insist public transportation is a viable option in LA...

For MOST situations, it's not...

There ARE some places where I think taking the bus or Metro is okay...

Say you won't rent a car and are staying at Universal and want to visit Hollywood...It's a quick and easy ride on the Metro...Or if you are staying in Santa Monica without a car and want to visit Westwood or get a ride back from a walk down to Venice Beach...the Big Blue Bus works great for that...

BUT...for most of the trips people need for logistic purposes--between the airports and piers, for example, public transportation is a TERRIBLE option...It's a question of time, convenience and comfort...This one is a pretty good example...Here's what that trip planning site comes up with when you punch in LGB to 7th and Centre--(close to the Crowne Plaza) at approximately 1 pm on a Saturday:

Starting at Long Beach Airport

Ride Long Beach 111 (LKWD-BROADWAY/ TO DOWNTOWN) heading south

From: DONALD DOUGLAS DR W/LB AIRPORT TERM BLDG Lv: 01:43PM

To: 1ST ST/LONG BEACH BLVD(NE corner) Ar: 02:21PM

Pay $1.25 + $0.50 for Transfer

Ride Commuter Express 142( SAN PEDRO) heading west

To: 7TH ST/CENTRE ST(SW corner) Ar: 03:05PM

Total cash fare = $1.75

Trip time is about 1 hour and 22 minutes.

Trip distance is about 16.19 miles.

First note that if you want to leave at 1:00, the first bus that comes along won't be until 1:43...you will spend 38 minutes cruising through Long Beach, stopping at every other corner to pick people up and drop people off...Then, you will have to stay very wary to make certain that you get off at the right stop...where you will have the great fun of standing around on the street corner for 24 minutes waiting for the next bus...and then spend 20 minutes on another bus...which (if you're vigilant enough to again get off at the right stop) will drop you off where you will only have to walk a block and a half to the front of the hotel...arriving there at maybe 3:15 pm...

Or...for about $14 more, you can grab a shuttle at 1:00 pm that will take you the same 16 miles DIRECTLY from the terminal to the hotel's front door and get you there by 1:30 at the latest...

How much is YOUR time worth?

From 1:30 to 3:15, while you are dealing with all those buses and logistics, I will be lounging out at the hotel pool, maybe enjoying a drink, relaxing...You couldn't pay me $14 to take the bus option...

Hertz, Avis, and Budget all have rental locations in downtown Long Beach which is much closer to San Pedro than the airport. Could you change your reservation to drop off at one of the downtown locations?

Cab fare would be much cheaper. Here's a link to another post regarding cab fares in Long Beach.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1214993

Hey Steve - Chill out man. Just giving alternatives. Didn't you see that I noted that the time difference between the two alternatives was roughly an hour?

Another alternative - if you're renting from Enterprise, there's an Enterprise location right at the Crowne Plaza. Might want to ask how much extra (if any) it would be to do a one-way rental.

No flames please. Just trying to give the OP some options.

Lisa,

I've no idea what your financial situation is, but in my case, the last thing that I want after a plane flight is hassles, delays, and/or uncertanties...that, and I have no desire to drive in heavy traffic on congested freeways in an area that I am unfamiliar with.

If I were arriving the afternoon (or evening) before my cruise, I would opt for the easiest transport from LGB to CP. That would be a shuttle, a taxi, or private transportation to the Hotel. Get it over and done with!

If I were arriving a day or two early, I would want a rental car. Although San Pedro seems to be a nice place, I would want to visit some of the locations nearby.

Remember, as soon as you step foot on that plane, you're on vacation!

Jack

My $0.02

Hi there everyone!

Thanks for all of the information. Truthfully, I made the reservation for the car rental so long ago that I didn't even think about how we'd return it. I guess I thought that the Crowne Plaza had a free shuttle to LGB. I know now that I was wrong.

Truthfully, since we are on vacation, I think we'll probably just return the car to the airport on Sunday morning and spring for a cab to the port. In the scheme of things, the cost isn't that much for the convenience. This way we can go get a light breakfast somewhere. Anyone with any suggestions for that?

Again, thanks for the info!

Lisa

Archived