Medical coverage question

hackwid

I purchased insurance with TravelEx and it has $50k in medical/accident and $500k for medical evauc.

Here is my question- going to alaska -say that I have a heart attack on the ship. I am airlifted to a hospital in Alaska-which is US soil. Once I am admitted into a US hospital - would my primary medicare insurance pay or do I only have the 50k for medical coverage whch I purchased thru my policy? Or same scenerio but me having an accident on the ship and rquiring extensive surgery. If I am in a US hospital- does the primary kick in or

do I need more medical coverage? Whats enough

Many times you can add an additional $50K to the policy so check to see if that is still possible. Travelex allows you to do this at the time you purchase your policy and I suspect they will allow you to add this on prior to your trip. Just give them a quick call and the fee for the additional amount is normally relatively small.

Whether or not the travel insurance acts as the primary carrier depends on the company. We mainly use Travelex and they do act as our primary insurer and as such we send claims to them and they take care of them.

Keith

My suggestion is to contact your primary carrier and ask them about coverages "out of network". I know with our insurance, any medical care on US soil that is required due to a health emergency is covered.

In my mind, one of the keys to the travel policy coverage is that there are usually benefits given to transport you and your traveling companions HOME. Sometimes special seating is required, or special assistance. Flights purchased on short notice can be very pricey. I know of no regular medical insurance that covers those costs, but travel insurance often will.

I purchased insurance with TravelEx and it has $50k in medical/accident and $500k for medical evauc.

Here is my question- going to alaska -say that I have a heart attack on the ship. I am airlifted to a hospital in Alaska-which is US soil. Once I am admitted into a US hospital - would my primary medicare insurance pay or do I only have the 50k for medical coverage whch I purchased thru my policy? Or same scenerio but me having an accident on the ship and rquiring extensive surgery. If I am in a US hospital- does the primary kick in or

do I need more medical coverage? Whats enough

Every state department of insurance has set rules for "coordination of benefits" when you have multiple policies. Those rules will determine who pays in what order. But having the $50K of travel insurance will not mean that you've released your regular healrg insurance provider from their obligations to you -- they're still responsible for covering your bills up to whatever limit your policy carries.

Archived