First Time on Holland America

cruiserjanet

Sorry I was a bit vague about the tip money. Yes, room service is totally free and for sure tips are not even expected.

But they are always appreciated. I always leave a couple of dollar bills tucked into the gizmo over the door handle before I go to bed. Then when the coffee arrives in the morning I can grab the money before I open the door----no fumbling around while half asleep looking for tip money.

Thanks for the info about the soda cards. If we do the cruise we will be going out of Fort Lauderdale, so could pick up a case before we go. It was just real handy on the RCL & Celebrity to just show your card or hand them your mug and they will fill it. I think it runs about $40 (on a 2 week cruise). I'll just have to keep that in mind. We are thinking about going out on the newest cruise ship Nieuw Amsterdam for a two week (b2b) cruise in November.

Aloha & Happy 4th of July!

- Kris

We have sailed several times with Holland America, Princess, and Celebrity and have enjoyed every cruise. The Oosterdam is a beautiful ship despite some rather gaudy colors. I agree that Holland America staff are attentive and gracious.

Regarding any dangers to traveling in Mexico: Obviously, the drug cartels are a major problem; however, if you stay to the tourist areas you will be fine. Actually, there are shootings every day in our country's cities. In fact, Arizona allows concealed weapons in bars. In other words, even traveling in the USA requires some caution.

Oh yes I agree we give tips and love it when you dont feel they stand around like they are expected. We take care of those that take care of us......

I also agree with there are many risks in life. I am sure I/we are more likely to get into an accident on the way to work than to wander into some drug cartel activity on a MR cruise. LOL. While we like to get the feel for the cities and their true cultures we also know to stay as close to the tourist areas as possible. We went to Jamaica when they were having civil unrest and felt ver secure in the areas we went and even when driving to and from them.

oh too neat.....I cant wait now. :D it is the little things in life ya know.

Here you go ... One evening, as we were waiting for the Main Dining Room to open, we were stadning next to the Maitre d' and the Bell-Boy. I happened to mention that it was my wife's brithday, that evening ... As we entered, he broke into "Happy Birthday To You!" on the chimes. How fantastic was that?

dinnergong.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi there, me again. we are back from our Alaska cruise......fabulous and am now back into MR planning mode. So here are a few silly questions...since I have never just boarded a ship without first flying to it here goes:

1. do they have the same rules about what you can carry aboard ie, own water, electric razor in carry on bag? DH always packs a disposable razor in our checked but hates them. But since we are leaving from home straight to ship i thought he could tuck his electric in our carryon so he wont lose it.

2. can i buy the pictures they take of us on board or do i have to order a photo package first......how will i know how many i will like/take?

3. also on HAL if after dinner we want to wander around the ship to relax or take pics are we able to change into more comfortable clothes like shorts, or lounge wear to wander to the lido for after dinner snacks or what have you?

All sounds good to me (us) our first time on HAL next year, Westerdam 15 days in the Carib, one day after getting off Star Princess in FL after 30 days around South America, will be interesting to have a change of line.

Thanks for the usual good information from the vet HAL cruisers on here.

Les,

What a wonderful trip this is. Two cruise lines and two very different itineraries. You're my kind of cruiser. After my 34 AU cruise last year I'm anxious to get back. Maybe I'll get to visit your home town someday.:)

Hi there, me again. we are back from our Alaska cruise......fabulous and am now back into MR planning mode. So here are a few silly questions...since I have never just boarded a ship without first flying to it here goes:

1. do they have the same rules about what you can carry aboard ie, own water, electric razor in carry on bag? DH always packs a disposable razor in our checked but hates them. But since we are leaving from home straight to ship i thought he could tuck his electric in our carryon so he wont lose it.

2. can i buy the pictures they take of us on board or do i have to order a photo package first......how will i know how many i will like/take?

3. also on HAL if after dinner we want to wander around the ship to relax or take pics are we able to change into more comfortable clothes like shorts, or lounge wear to wander to the lido for after dinner snacks or what have you?

1. we put anything and everything into our carryon. Dont' have an elec razor but we've carried corkscrews and nail clippers and such.

2. the photoshop will be happy to sell you individual pictures and charge them to your onboard account

3. you'll get varying responses to this one :) Personally I will be "dam'd" if I am going out on deck to get exercise in my formal wear.... we tend to stand at the rail gazing out to sea, looking elegant in our formal wear, for about 5 minutes after dinner, then go to the cabin and get into functional clothes and footwear for our time walking the Promenade Deck. So that tends to be what we wear up to the Lido for late-night snacks, too.

We are almost booked on the Eurodam for a multi-family spring break trip and, as a loyal Princess cruiser, I have been reading this thread with interest. I, too, have a few questions that might be helpful for others interested in this thread.

1) I like to take aerobic classes as my exercise and these are free on Princess. There, only the spinning and yoga classes have a fee. Are there free fitness classes on HAL?

2) My husband and I enjoy dance lessons, trivia contests, and pictionary-type games whenever we can squeeze them in. I have read some criticisms that there are not enough of these type of activities on HAL.

3) We enjoy 70's music and on Princess they have a night in the disco or other venue with this theme. How about on HAL? Will we be able to "boogie on down"?

4) Princess Idol is a fun audience participation contest that runs throughout the cruise, culminating in a big finale on the last night. Anything fun like that on HAL?

5) The Princess crew puts on a talent show (at least they had one on the Crown)? It was pretty fun. If you didn't like the big production number in the theater, there was always a comedian or juggler or hypnotist in the Explorer's Lounge. In fact the acts would usually be repeated during the week so everyone could get a chance to see the show (ships with 3,000 passengers....) How is the entertainment on HAL?

Here is my silly question, I was reading online somewhere (cant remember) and I thought I read that HAL announces dinner with a bell or some type of music? Is this true, cause all I can think of is how they announced dinner in the movie Titanic with the music.......and it making me so excited...:D If it doesnt happen ok.....but i thought i would ask....

On the Amsterdam (Baltic Cruise) and the Volendam (Panama) a gong sounded to indicate the start of the dinner service. It was a very nice touch. It reminded me of the old Rank Movies. Also, as we left the dining room at the end of our meal, a waiter stood by a beautiful fresh flower display with a selection of little sweet treats (eg tiny after dinner mints, sugar coated almonds, little fudge cubes... and more...) and it was a perfect end to a lovely meal. The waiter even remembered from one night to the next what our preferences were and made up a little selection for us, always served with a smile. Little things like that make HAL special.:)

I live in a border state (as apparently does the OP). You see your local news, just like we do here in AZ.

I'd be really careful in Mexico right now. Hopefully their security issues will be solved by Oct 2011, but....

I'd definitely suggest only doing ship tours in Mexico, and you might want to simply decide to stay on board the ship in Acapulco (if you visit there). No matter what, I would not leave the secured port area unless it is a ship tour....

I personally think that the Mexican security situation part of the reason RCCL pulled out MarinerOTS... not many people want to chance a vacation in Mexico right now... and Mariner is a _big_ ship.

My two cents.

I read the government travel warnings on Mexico last night, and boy is that page long and scary.:eek:

What to expect on HAL? Fresh squeezed orange juice, outstanding room service menu, free DVDs, comfortable beds, real art on board, lots of fresh fruit, good drinks at reasonable prices, more intimate ships, most likely an older group of passengers, overall a more traditional cruise experience rather than a "fun ship." A great cruise for relaxation.

Where do you get the free DVD's and do they have children's DVS's?

We are ready to book a 48 day HAL Cruise (B2B 24 day) Baltic/Europe/Med/Greek Islands cruise on the Rotterdam starting on Sept 7/11 to celebrate our 25th anniversary & her 50th birthday (we got engaged at the Trevi Fountain in Sept/85 & it will even bring us back there.....the coin worked!). I have looked at Celebrity, Princess, Azamara, Oceania & even Seabourne but HAL seems to fit our personalities & wants, as well as seeming to be the "Best Bang For The Buck". This thread has helped us make up our mind so thanks for that. We want a relaxing & port intensive holiday & this one looks great.

Some of the things we are looking for most were confirmed by some posts here;

-Great service with a smile. W-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l beds

-Slower paced atmosphere that will relax you

-Larger cabins

-VERY FEW p.a. announcements

-Bottom line is I feel my money is well spent with HAL

A couple of questions though;

- Is the coffee fresh & are espresso's offered? Would love to see French Press or specialty coffees but that may be asking too much.

- Does HAL offer back to back discounts?

- How does the Rotterdam stack up against the rest of the HAL line (excluding Prinsendam of course)?

- Does HAL have a loyalty program & will 48 days get us close to any rewards?

- Do any/all staterooms have fridges?

Archived