Cabin S 7041 on Rotterdam Question

tinkerme1

No one is asking the OP about his/her disablity.

But after reading so many, many times that someone wanted an HC cabin when they didn't need the specialized amenities, and it would deprive a disabled person of a cruise, then they want to know that the OP has a disability before they help.

It would feel like being an accessory to a morally wrong act to help deprive a handicapped person from taking a cruise.

Ruth, I have bit my tongue trying desperately to avoid commenting on many of your posts in the HAL forum, and I will continue to do so here. It is simply none of your business what my disability is and why I am deserving of an HC cabin. The mere thought that you feel the need to get into my private life is astonishing! :mad:

Ruth, I have bit my tongue trying desperately to avoid commenting on many of your posts in the HAL forum, and I will continue to do so here. It is simply none of your business what my disability is and why I am deserving of an HC cabin. The mere thought that you feel the need to get into my private life is astonishing! :mad:

I think you have misread or misunderstood the post, and poster, to which you made reference.

"No one is asking the OP about his/her disability."

I fail to understand how you can interpret that as an invasion into your private life.

I don't think Ruth was trying to pry into your private life. I don’t know why you are saying you have had to bite your tongue about her posts. I have always found them extremely helpful and in no way offensive.

You came on a public internet forum asking for peoples' opinions on a HC cabin. Why are you so astounded and mad if people ask if you or your travelling companion have a disability? If you are that much of a private person perhaps CC is not the place for you.

We are not asking what the problem is. We are not asking for details. All you needed to say upfront as "I need a HC cabin and am thinking about booking ...". You may even get more answers that way.

No one is asking the OP about his/her disablity.

But after reading so many, many times that someone wanted an HC cabin when they didn't need the specialized amenities, and it would deprive a disabled person of a cruise, then they want to know that the OP has a disability before they help.

It would feel like being an accessory to a morally wrong act to help deprive a handicapped person from taking a cruise.

Exactly right, Ruth.

When someone comes on and asks about a HC cabin and is not upfront about it, then it's rather suspicious ...

Why would the poster not be straightforward?

When I post, I don't have to tell anyone the nature of DH's illness if I choose not to, but I have always been open about the fact that he is in a wheelchair, cannot walk, and requires the amenities of a handicapped cabin. I do not consider that an invasion of privacy.

Most people in the disabilities community are not afraid or unwilling to share information -- in the hopes that it will enlighten and educate people who are otherwise have no understanding of what it means to be disabled.

Don't forget, CC offers us the opportunity to read a poster's history, and there is a lot of insight to be gained in reading previous posts ...

I urge those who rush to defend someone -- based on no knowledge of that poster -- to do a little research. It's remarkable what you will find. Just remarkable. ;)

NObody is deserving of an HC cabin. Some people need the amenities of a handicap-accessible cabin. Nobody is asking "what your disability is"..

we are only suspicious of your insistance that you deserve this cabin, when they are so rare, and it really isn't nice to book one unless you need those amenities.

What I find astonishing is a general lack of understanding about the issue here. If you've read the HAL forum at all (and you state very clearly that you have), then you know there is a problem about the HC cabins and HAL's refusal to ascertain at time of booking whether or not the passenger actually requires an HC cabin.

Since there are so few on each ship, and since time and time again people come onto this forum and talk about booking an HC cabin and state they have no disability at all, many of us here have taken it upon ourselves to educate where HAL will not.

So early on in this thread the OP was informed that in case he/she weren't aware, it is an HC cabin. I would venture to guess that if the person does require such a cabin, the response would be in the affirmative. They might possibly mention that that is the whole problem, that they are limited to so few cabins.

But this didn't happen here. It makes no sense to most of us since there is nothing in the least shameful or "private" about saying you need an HC cabin. It's hardly a confession and it's hardly analagous to liken it to "innocent until proven guilty"!!!!!

Going after RuthC of all people in this forum indicates some sort of disconnect here. I can't imagine what anyone would be biting their tongue about in any of Ruth's posts. On the contrary, I've bitten my tongue in many posts directed at Ruth.

As a matter of fact, I was "astonished" when the OP posted and followed soon after with an admonishment that while many people had viewed the question, there wasn't an immediate response to her liking!!!!

We are talking about a specific cabin on a specific ship, an HC cabin at that, and for the OP to suggest that an immediate answer should be forthcoming is actually beyond astonishing.

And of all the cabins on that ship, why is the OP so worried about the window washer on that particular cabin????

The mind boggles.:confused:

I've found that posters who actually need a HA cabin are appreciative of those who try to protect the very limited number of cabins available to them.

There have been a number of incidents here where AB have been told by their TA that the HA cabins they've booked (for the larger space, location, whatever..) would be given to someone who needed the cabin should they ask. They've believed that and really why shouldn't they? It would be great if true. However, that has been proven NOT to be the case in real life.

I've been in my DB's HA S suite on the Rotterdam's sister ship. Believe me, my SIL was asking loads of questions about the suitability for his needs before and after booking. Those who deal with disabilities know that 'one size fits all' doesn't apply. Anyway, as AB we found our S much better suited to us than their 'larger' HA S. Some of the necessities for the HA would have greatly effected our use/enjoyment of the suite.

What also is puzzling is that, because there are SO few handicap-accessible cabins, and even fewer suites, people who actually need such cabins aren't really so worried about the "view" as they are happy that such a cabin is even available for them!

I have to say I'm astonished at tinkerme1's response to my observation of how people think. And I'm gratified that so many others do understand.

I have to hope that my reference to it being morally wrong for able-bodied people to take HC cabins away from those who need them didn't strike close to home.

Archived