Never too old!

Musicus

Just moving us back up so we don't get lost in the shuffle. :) Do you know, Pat, if he plans to keep corresponding when he starts his Cozumel trip - that's only a week or two away. In the meantime is there something else we can talk about 'till he comes back!!?? :D

Sue

Just moving us back up so we don't get lost in the shuffle. :) Do you know, Pat, if he plans to keep corresponding when he starts his Cozumel trip - that's only a week or two away. In the meantime is there something else we can talk about 'till he comes back!!?? :D

Sue

November 1 - 12, 2011

Time passes ever so fast, the older you get, the faster it goes. We've had a few gorgeous days, bualso some miserable ones; between trips into town for shopping, visits o a haircut, I have reduced my "overhead" considerably, i.e. packed away in one of my suitcases items I think I can do without for the next episode, starting with the printer. I'll also leave one of my suits here and will just have the big rollaway, the smaller one, 2 suit-garment bags and a carryon. And of course there is the scooter in a 36-lbs bag - all of which will require a porter at the airport and at train stations when the time comes, not to speak of a hefty overweight charge on the flight to Cozumel. Staying here is wonderful, both Steve and Joyce are most gracious in their efforts to look after my comfort and I am very grateful.

I have been working on my itinerary with Linda who is an agent of Avoya Travel who in turn is under contract with MSC. But it's a rough road again and reminds me vividly of the "MSC Odissey" which saw me battling with the Ft. Lauterdale office for fully 6 months until all was settled for my one year sojourn on "Poesia". I can't help but wonder about the company's working force and organisation in their USA operation. While I now have firm bookings until April 2, price calculations for these were faulty (none of the 20% discounts were right!) and I am waiting for corrections. Then the next batch until July 18 will be tackled.

After having been charmed by checking out the iPad, investigating it as well as several competitors, I decided against any of them. I do too much writing for an on-screen keyboard and adding an eternal one to a tablet doesn't make sense to me. My decision was helped by the fact that Future Shop had a sale on Acer netbooks and took your old one in trade for $50; since mine was already almost 2 years old and needed a new battery, I went for the deal and am happy with it, even though the new machine has only a 4-hour battery against my old 8-hour one. Steve helped me transfer all the stuff from one to the other, but as before with the Window 7 Starter Edition, there are several isssues yet to be resolved.

Keep tuned.

--

[/url]

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

Â

October 28th, 2011, 10:51 PM

CAC104 user_online.gif

5,000+ Club

icon1.gif

It sounds to me that Egon will have a very relaxing winter in Cozumel. That resort looks wonderful, and it should be wonderful for his heath.

I hope his travel blog will continue, and thanks to those of you who made it possible. I have wondered why Egon doesn't chat on CC?

cool:Carol KC :cool:

Charter Member MFPPP - 2006

Edited by yellowbird23

November 1 - 12, 2011

Time passes ever so fast, the older you get, the faster it goes. We've had a few gorgeous days, bualso some miserable ones; between trips into town for shopping, visits o a haircut, I have reduced my "overhead" considerably, i.e. packed away in one of my suitcases items I think I can do without for the next episode, starting with the printer. I'll also leave one of my suits here and will just have the big rollaway, the smaller one, 2 suit-garment bags and a carryon. And of course there is the scooter in a 36-lbs bag - all of which will require a porter at the airport and at train stations when the time comes, not to speak of a hefty overweight charge on the flight to Cozumel. Staying here is wonderful, both Steve and Joyce are most gracious in their efforts to look after my comfort and I am very grateful.

I have been working on my itinerary with Linda who is an agent of Avoya Travel who in turn is under contract with MSC. But it's a rough road again and reminds me vividly of the "MSC Odissey" which saw me battling with the Ft. Lauterdale office for fully 6 months until all was settled for my one year sojourn on "Poesia". I can't help but wonder about the company's working force and organisation in their USA operation. While I now have firm bookings until April 2, price calculations for these were faulty (none of the 20% discounts were right!) and I am waiting for corrections. Then the next batch until July 18 will be tackled.

After having been charmed by checking out the iPad, investigating it as well as several competitors, I decided against any of them. I do too much writing for an on-screen keyboard and adding an eternal one to a tablet doesn't make sense to me. My decision was helped by the fact that Future Shop had a sale on Acer netbooks and took your old one in trade for $50; since mine was already almost 2 years old and needed a new battery, I went for the deal and am happy with it, even though the new machine has only a 4-hour battery against my old 8-hour one. Steve helped me transfer all the stuff from one to the other, but as before with the Window 7 Starter Edition, there are several isssues yet to be resolved.

Keep tuned.

Sorry all....goofed up a little here. Just back from a small cruise, but much needed cruise myself.

Glad to hear that you were able to get away for some "me" time. Hope it was a great cruise. So looking forward to our next one. Will be the first one after my DH's retirement. Don't know yet if he will live to see the sailing date.:D

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

September, 2012 - Alaska – Amsterdam - 14 day cruise

2013 Eastern Med - Prisendam- 28 day (includes cruising Black Sea)

• 2 weeks later...

# 3Â to November 12 +++ 2011

I had been with Steve at his place www.torbay.net for almost one entire month, lovingly pampered by both him and Joyce, not to speak of tailwagging Brandy. While I ttaught them bad habits, having brought a bottle each of Crown Royal and Bayley's which meant nightly drinks and laced deserts, I was treated to nightly specialities laden with a great variety of steamed veggies (Steve's speciality), some wonderful trout, salmon, chicken etc. Sundays were McCafé and Egg McMuffin days - Tradition! Two days before I left I treated them to Dinner at the Ram's Head in Callander and it was an excellent choice. Next day had me packing and I barely made it, with both suitcases bursting at the seams and weighing tons. Steve was able to store them, as well as the packed-up Scooter plus some other items in the enormeous trunk of my Buick. Steve had offered to drive me to the Toronto airport (a 4-hour trip) which meant that we would have to leave around 4.15am, but the alternative would have been a flight out of North Bay at 6.30am or so, which would also mean getting up at about the same time and would be much more inconvenient for me. The Westjet flight to Cozumel was to leave at 10am.

At 3.30am the telephone rang a few times - Joyce checking from her home in N.B. that we were up. We found the car partly covered with snow and I took a couple of photos before Joyce had finished cleaning the windshield, and also one of the impressively packed trunk. And off we went with only one stop en route, to arrive at the airport around 8am. I had of course requested wheel chair assistance which worked beautifully and bypassed me through crowds of people in line to check in and I was mighty glad for Steve attendance and strength to handle the luggage. After paying a reasonable $79 for excess baggage, the scooter was deposited somewhere else because it was oversized and we went on to the security area where there was a somewhwat weepy leavetaking. I was amazed at the stringent security which had me to give up my toothpaste (aftewards I berated myself for not arguing the fact that quite a bit of the 150ml tube had already been used so that the excess over the allowed 100ml was minimal. Too bad. Afterwards I biught a sample size (20ml) at the airport store for "only"$ 2.25. You can't win).

The less than 4hr flight was uneventful and I treated myself to a turkey and Brie sandwich. We got to Cozumel almost 1/2 hr early; I had wonderful help from a young woman handling the wheelchair and hefting the luggage off the carousel and onto the Scanner and once through immigration and customs, I found the representative of the transfer company I had booked with on line and after only maybe 15 minutes wait my luggage and I were in a van shared with other passengers and off we went. I guess it took 25 minutes of steady driving until we came to the Sabor Resort, some 13km South of the center of town - I was privileged in that mine was to be the first stop. It says "we like tips". Of course.

And here I was received with almost open arms and after checking in brought to my new home for the next 3 months - it was quite a long way for me to walk in a labyrint-like but very pleasant environment and I gratefully collapsed on my bed.

So much for today! Now I will have Google translate this into it's fractured German and then edit and correct it -often with a laugh! Still have to decide whether it would be faster to write the whole thing again in German.

My room is in one of the many villas -this one a two storey building- and in location which for me seems very good. I have a view towards the pool on the left and the ocean on the right. The room contains two double beds, a table with two chairs, a cabinet with a large flat panel TV (but there are only two English channels, CNN and FOX). So it actually is rather small but rated at 350 sqft because of the washroom, and toilet/Shower; the latter is a large walkin. There is silent airconditioning, remote controlled like the TV and it works very well and of course it has a ceiling fan which I don't use because I find it too drafty. There are large drawers below the TV and in the equally large built-in wardrobe an electronic safe. There is a coffee maker, hair dryer and ironing board, a digital clock and telephone on the nightstand. Of course you are not expected to spend a lot of time in your room in a place like this which has many public areas apart from the 2000 ft beach front. There are several pools but they are more for playing in and having drinks at the poolside bar while standing in the water since they are only 2'7" deep. This I found very disappointing, because for me to get into the ocean is tricky - the entire coast has lots of rocks and while the beach is sand, going into the water means negiciating rocks at the bottom between sandy areas while steadying yourself against waves and keeping your balance; I tried but just can't do it any more, I am too unsteady on my feet. But I found out about another pool which I can use in another area reserved for members of the "Regency" club and half of it's good size is more than 6' deep. Once again I am glad for the scooter, because it would be too far for me to walk there. But very close to me is La Isla, a large buffet-style restaurant for all meals where I have been going to and where I am already known amongst the waiters as "Senor Egon". Word gets around. One can sit on the terrace facing the ocean and it's just gorgeous. There are palms in front with the trunks girlamded with lights in the evening and there are of course the famous Mexican blackbirds looking for handouts and not taking "no" for an answer. I have found the food very good - there is great and generous variety and I regret at times that I have only a small apetite (just as well!). There are other restaurants to be checked out, two of them where reservations have to be made. When I was sitting down for Dinner at La Isla the second evening here, two young ladies approached me, introduced themselves and invited me to share their table - how nice! They were from Texas, the older one (maybe 28) originally from South Africa and it turned out a delightful evening. Unfortunately they left Sabor the next day. All employees are very solicitous and helpful, especially the waiters who bring you coffee or drinks and I am just wondering whether or not I did read somewhere that gratuities are part of the all inclusive price.

Nov. 15 I had the visit of Tom and Shirley, owners of the Flamingo Hotel in two where I stayed last December /January for almost a month and they came with Brian and Barbara whom I also got to know at that time. Unfortunately, this being an all inclusive place, one is not able to buy a drink or a meal, but I was able to sbeak at least a \margarita for Tom. It was a nice visit. And then I discovered in the evening that they had moved the entire La Isla restaurant down to the beach just below my house and it turned out to be a kind of beaqch party with very impressive fire dancers and then the every decreasing height Limbo, which was won by a young and lithe woman from Argentina. I had i real grandstand view and took quite a fiew pictures.

Nov. 15 Another visit! This time from Cheryl, tablemate on Poesia last December with whom I never lost contact. She was staying at the Hotel Resort Cozumel near the center of town and I felt bad that she had to spend $ 30 in taxi fares to come to see me. But we had a wonderful visit and after I succeeded in not only getting her a drink but also a quesodilla for lunch (entirely illegal!), we both had a siesta in my airconditioned room (with to beds, affter all!) and I told her that now she could brag that she slept with a 94-year old guy! Then we lounged at the pool and watched the antics of a waterball game in front of us, with many of the players feeling no pain from the refreshments served at the poolside bar. She left after 5pm, but will be back Feb.8 at her hotel and come here to celebrate my 95th.

While I do have WiFi in my room, it's a sporadic affair, cutting out or not allowing internet access at times and the strength is hardly ever "good". But from what Cheryl tells me, also at her hotel she finds the same situation and I guess this may be a satellite signal and thus is unpredictable. This evening (it's now 6.30 pm) I have been waiting 1-1/2 hrs to get internet access, although I am connected. When I am connected, the reading is "good" but no internet access; the moment I disconnect, it drops down to "fair" but shows again as being "good"when I reconnect and always without internet. Go figure.

I am just back from dinner and nice people at the next table started talking with me -they are Suzette and Jason -he a former Marine- from Idaho. We will have dinner together on Friday at Robertos, the Italian restaurant where you have to make reservatio ns. It's after 8pm and while I am connected, have no internet access.

Thanks from me too Pat!

I am only up to start of Page 21. Have been reading most of the day, need a break, but can't wait to see if Egon improves and can enjoy his European adventure.

I stumbled across this thread yesterday and have been reading it obsessively since! What an incredible man and spirit! (Thanks for posting all these updates, Pat!!) Does anyone know what his schedule is for the three 7-day Caribbean cruises he's taking Feb-March? I'll be in the western Caribbean mid-February and would love an opportunity to meet Egon!

I stumbled across this thread yesterday and have been reading it obsessively since! What an incredible man and spirit! (Thanks for posting all these updates, Pat!!) Does anyone know what his schedule is for the three 7-day Caribbean cruises he's taking Feb-March? I'll be in the western Caribbean mid-February and would love an opportunity to meet Egon!

I have sent Egon an e-mail regarding your question and will answer you as soon as he answers me. BTW, you will be on my favorite ship, Spirit and that is the day he gets on Poesia to go to Fort Lauderdale.:)

Edited by yellowbird23

I was on the Spirit for the first time this past February and fell in love with her! We wanted to get one more trip in before she leaves for the "other side". I figure Egon and my group will be sailing circles around each other, but if by some chance we did land in the same port at the same time, I and I'm sure all of my traveling buddies would love to make his acquaintence in person, it'd be an honor to meet him! Thanks so much Pat for emailing him!

Edited by 3dogsrule

HERE IT IS:

2-13 TO 2/18 Poesia Cozumel to Pt. Everglades

2/18 to 2/25 Poesia Pt. Everglades (Charlotte Amalie, San Juan, Nassau)

2/28-3/10 Poesia 12 days (Nassau, Coco Cay)

3/10 - 3/17 Poesia 7 days

3/17-2/4 Poesia Pt. Everglades TA to Genoa

You will have to get on the MSC site to see where they are going for those particular dates.

I have the rest for Europe if anyone wants it. I know that 7/27 to 8/2 he is coming back on Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to NY. He will also be on Melody, Musica, Magnifica, and Opera, all MSC ships.