Greece travel disruptions

Cruzin-K

Our May Med cruise on the Ruby skipped the port of Pireaus due to demonstrations scheduled for May 20th--the day we were supposed to be there. Instead, we spent additional time in Venice and then went straight to Kusadasi, bypassing Athens. Our stop in Mykonos did take place as planned. It seems the strikes and demonstrations mainly effect Athens, not so much the smaller islands.

There's a lot of good info here on Cruise Critic on the Greece boards. So far it seems that only Athens is significantly affected by the strikes.

Ferry passengers have been occasionally blocked by striking dock workers, but so far this has not affected cruise ships, which dock in a different area of the port. (With the possibly exception of the day Ruby Princess skipped Athens -- which was probably a good thing!)

Although domestic flights were interrupted in the most recent strike, international flights were not affected.

Greece was already enduring some pretty significant "austerity measures" even before the strikes started, so be aware that hours at museums may be shortened, or some areas may not be open do to staff cuts.

I wouldn't worry about it when your cruise is a year away. I have two cruises this fall -- one both starts and ends in Athens and the other one ends there. I have just made finaly payment on the first one and am looking forward to spending some time in Athens (4 days) after it ends. I think everything will be fine.

Just off Ruby June 10th. with two Greece stops - Athens and Mykonos. We stopped in Athens while the sail before us did not. As already posted, seems Athens experiences a lot of unrest but the islands not so much as of yet.

Greek Isle cruise was never on my radar until stop in Mykonos - it was absolutely gorgeous and very calming day - made me think a Greek Isle cruise is now a must in the future.

Don't overthink things this far out - my trip was fraught with all kinds of problems (volcanic ash, British Airways strike which cancelled 2 of my flights, demonstrations in Athens, killings in Istanbul which was another stop for us) and yet, we were still able to make all ports with no problems and it all worked out in the end.

Good to know. We're leaving on July 16. We've been reading the paper and Athens is pretty much a mess. Volcano is quiet for now...British Airways won't strike until sometime in August...what a year for this big trip! We are confident and optimistic and figure Athens, or not, we're going to enjoy every minute!

Good to know. We're leaving on July 16. We've been reading the paper and Athens is pretty much a mess. Volcano is quiet for now...British Airways won't strike until sometime in August...what a year for this big trip! We are confident and optimistic and figure Athens, or not, we're going to enjoy every minute!

I'll be on this cruise with you and I was wondering the same thing. It's a good thing that Athens is the ONLY Princess excursion we booked! All the other ports are private excursions! I would hate not to see Athens though!!

Our daughter and friend left Tuesday for Athens... arrived ok... doing a few days early in the city before doing a cruise on a Greek line starting today, 7/2.

Only report was she arrived ok and things are going well. Cruise starts today..no reports of adversity.

We were just in Athens. Please ignore the press, it is anything but a mess. Unless you are there on the actual day of a protest or strike you will not notice a thing. There is too much fear being pushed by the press. If you find yourself there on the day of a protest, avoid Styngmata Square and you will be fine ( I know we were there on one of those days, and I see more unruly crowds at college football games.)

How much longer will Greece be a country of economic turmoil?

I hate to say it, but probably for at least 5 years, and probably more like 10. Or at least until the requisite economic adjustments are made, which will result in a somewhat lower standard of living for the Greeks. And we shouldn't be so smug--our day is coming!!

Would that stop me from going to Greece--no way!

I wouldn't worry about it when your cruise is a year away. I have two cruises this fall -- one both starts and ends in Athens and the other one ends there. I have just made finaly payment on the first one and am looking forward to spending some time in Athens (4 days) after it ends. I think everything will be fine.

I've just taken a peek at your itinerary. It looks like you'll be in my neck of the woods for at least part of your trip. Remember to wave from the dock, I'll be watching from up in the hills :-)

On a serious note: I know you take a huge amount of effort over your port planning but if there's any local information you think I might be able to help with please do say.

Mands

I've just taken a peek at your itinerary. It looks like you'll be in my neck of the woods for at least part of your trip. Remember to wave from the dock, I'll be watching from up in the hills :-)

On a serious note: I know you take a huge amount of effort over your port planning but if there's any local information you think I might be able to help with please do say.

Mands

Thanks for the offer; it'll be my first visit to Cyprus. :) The ship offers an included half-day tour to Kourion, which I'm very much looking forward to. We'll have the afternoon free in Limassol -- any ideas for me (keeping in mind it will be early December)?

Archived