Cruise to Cuba in the future?

groo

The claims are gone. Nobody will be compensated.

I think that you are wrong on this. There are 5,913 claims outstanding. http://www.justice.gov/fcsc/cubanclaims.htm

Further, to punish the American and Cuban people for the transgressions of the Cuban government is illogical.

Whoever said politics was logical? I don't think that the American people are willing to put more millions of $$ in the Castro family's pockets. When the Castros and their cronies are removed from power, then we will see reconciliation.

Whoever said politics was logical? I don't think that the American people are willing to put more millions of $$ in the Castro family's pockets. When the Castros and their cronies are removed from power, then we will see reconciliation.

I respectfully disagree. As others have stated there are Americans that are already traveling to Cuba through various means. I think you might be surprised how many would embrace this opportunity if able to do so with the blessing of their home nation.

I respectfully disagree. As others have stated there are Americans that are already traveling to Cuba through various means. I think you might be surprised how many would embrace this opportunity if able to do so with the blessing of their home nation.

BigDoug's point is towards assets that where siezed back in the day during/after the revolution. Tourism is a different issue. But obviously the family/companies who had their land/goods/businesses taken would want restitutions if our governments ever resolve their differences.

I was stationed at Gitmo many years ago, and used to patrol the fence line. (In a helicopter) Cuban soldiers would come out of their "fox holes" and shoot us a "bird" as we passed over. IMO, the general population is probably wonderful,,,but the politicians are scum.

"SKY"

I think that you are wrong on this. There are 5,913 claims outstanding. http://www.justice.gov/fcsc/cubanclaims.htm

I understand that the claims are still "outstanding". They will never be paid, though.

I think you'd be surprised what the vast majority of Americans are willing to forgive. I for one simply do not accept my government (the government of an allegedly free state) telling me where I can and cannot travel and spend money.

I understand that the claims are still "outstanding". They will never be paid, though.

I think you'd be surprised what the vast majority of Americans are willing to forgive. I for one simply do not accept my government (the government of an allegedly free state) telling me where I can and cannot travel and spend money.

How can you say they will "never be paid"? Do you work for State? They might all be paid, maybe none will, maybe some will. Who knows. It will be part of a very long and complecated process if and when the embargo is lifted.

How can you say they will "never be paid"? Do you work for State? They might all be paid, maybe none will, maybe some will.

It's a prediction. Maybe I'm wrong. History, though, is on my side.

I don't know about cruises (I'm sure they'll come) but I'll be on a plane to Havana with cash to buy '57 Chevrolets the moment the door is opened. :D

:) You and my buddy both. He is a classic car nut and everytime he sees a film or TV show of Cuba he goes crazy *LOL*

I would go in a heartbeat. Cuba is already a major tourist spot for many countries. Canadian friends of mine tell me its a beautiful place and the locals are just wonderful.

Of course there are the Cuban assets in the US that were illegally seized and politically distributed to a handful of claimants.

Even though the US pays "rent" for Gitmo, I doubt if any of the checks have been cashed. That might have to be renegotiated.

If one is looking for corrupt governments, they really don't need to look beyond Washington D.C.

It is stupid that Americans aren't allowed to visit Cuba and naive to think that US Corporations don't have some plans in place for when the inevitable happens.

I'd be delighted to cruise to Cuba.

I'm sure you're aware that Cuba already has a thriving tourism industry, right?

FWIW, I agree that the Castro regime has been disastrous for the people of Cuba, but they do have solid infrastructure there for tourism.

In fact tourism is the number one industry in Cuba, with 2,5 million Europeans and Canadians visiting every year. Because the health care system is so good and so cheap, thousands go to Cuba for medical treatments too. There are a lot of luxury resorts, several decent airports (european airlines have been flying to Holguin, Varadero and Havana for many years now), and a few German cruiselines (Delphin, Aida) have Havana or other Cuban cities as their ports of call on cruises from the Dominican Republic. There was a documentary just this week on BBC World about the beautifully restored historical centre of Havana.

Of course there are the Cuban assets in the US that were illegally seized and politically distributed to a handful of claimants.

Even though the US pays "rent" for Gitmo, I doubt if any of the checks have been cashed. That might have to be renegotiated.

If one is looking for corrupt governments, they really don't need to look beyond Washington D.C.

It is stupid that Americans aren't allowed to visit Cuba and naive to think that US Corporations don't have some plans in place for when the inevitable happens.

Ah, central european situations all over again. Germans/Polish/Czech/Hungarians/etc, all still waiting for compensations for lost property 65 years after the second world war. Same with the victims of the ethnic cleansing in Yugoslavia in the 1990s. Same with the victims of Japanese camps in Indonesia and Korea in world war 2. Nobody got anything, and diplomatic and commercial interests have been normalised a long time ago.

If it is important to you to visit, it's very eas to do. Fly to Cancun and take one of the daily flights over in on of the old Tupolov's they still fly. Infact you might want to go now before it gets 'americanized' when official travel ban is lifted.

Or you could take one of the 5x weekly flights from Toronto nonstop to Havana on a less than 4 year old Embraer. Your choice!

I went to Costa Rica on a land vacation 2 years ago and met many people from other countries who traveled to Cuba often. I remember being surprised because I never thought of Cuba as being a travel destination because all I've ever heard is the negatives. Everyone said that it was a great, affordable tropical destination. It had me curious as to what I have been missing. I would definately like to to go there if a ship made it a stop.

I went to Costa Rica on a land vacation 2 years ago and met many people from other countries who traveled to Cuba often. I remember being surprised because I never thought of Cuba as being a travel destination because all I've ever heard is the negatives. Everyone said that it was a great, affordable tropical destination. It had me curious as to what I have been missing. I would definately like to to go there if a ship made it a stop.

I have never heard anything but positive things from folks that have been to Cuba on vaca, great food, great prices, great people.

I still hear stories from my older friends about how wild!!!! HAVANA was in the pre Castro days. (much like Las Vegas today) You could drive your car onto a ferry at Key West and drive it off in Cuba. I hope this returns also.

I still hear stories from my older friends about how wild!!!! HAVANA was in the pre Castro days. (much like Las Vegas today) You could drive your car onto a ferry at Key West and drive it off in Cuba. I hope this returns also.

Sweet, you can skim up free oil along the way!

The sooner the better. Some people live in the past and cannot get past the politics of 40 years ago. It is time to move on and stop this senseless embargo that accomplishes nothing and serves no purpose.

It most certainly serves a purpose but that's a conversation for another day

Archived