Cruise to Cuba in the future?

groo

http://havana-mobile.com/

http://havana-mobile.com/SummitHistoryMobile.05.doc

Perhaps the first cruise to Cuba could leave from Mobile, considering the long history of cooperation between the two, and Mobile's sister city relationship with Havana. But, then why cruise all that distance, when folks make it in floating pickup trucks in less time. :)

Early on in the Obama administration some statements were released saying that perhaps it is time to improve relations with Cuba and reopen Cuba to Americans. Statements made by people in the Obama administration.

Reliable source? I watched a frail Fidel Castro himself say on TV that whatever Washington DC decides means nothing to Cuba. ONLY Cuba will decide what tourists come to Cuba and when.

In international protocol and negotiations, that amounts to the olive branch being offered and being slapped away.

Sounds to me like Cuba saying they aren't a puppet of the U.S. Cuba has lots and lots of tourists - just not from the U.S. - maybe.

This website claims more than 100,000 Americans visited Cuba last year

http://www.usacubatravel.com/

The U.S. needs to get exports up some how and trade with Cuba is one way.

The embargo held up because we don't need anything from Cuba, and to protect U.S. sugar, but now it appears maybe the U.S. does have a need.

You really want a 57 Chevy shaped pile of Bondo powered by a 3 cylinder tractor diesel engine? You really are an exotic car collector!!:D:D

It wouldn't be for me, I'd sell it. It can be restored. ;)

Early on in the Obama administration some statements were released saying that perhaps it is time to improve relations with Cuba and reopen Cuba to Americans. Statements made by people in the Obama administration.

Reliable source? I watched a frail Fidel Castro himself say on TV that whatever Washington DC decides means nothing to Cuba. ONLY Cuba will decide what tourists come to Cuba and when.

In international protocol and negotiations, that amounts to the olive branch being offered and being slapped away.

Not exactly. Cuba already allows Americans in (and is even so helpful as to stamp a separate piece of paper instead of your passport). The only restriction is from our own, allegedly free, government.

Not exactly. Cuba already allows Americans in (and is even so helpful as to stamp a separate piece of paper instead of your passport). The only restriction is from our own, allegedly free, government.

I do not care one way or another if a million Americans go to visit Cuba or none go. I related what Castro said on TV. Above someone said 100,000 Americans visited Cuba. That is a popcorn fart in a hurricane compared to 30,000 a week just from cruise ships.

For more than 50 years Cuba could have made a FEW MINOR concessions and reestablished relations with the US.

CUBA has chosen to NOT do that.

WHEN the Castro's are dead, things will change. But the "open Cuba" rumors have sprung up 25 or more times since Castro took power. The rumors have been wrong each time. The ONLY valid reason to hope for change now is the age and health of the brothers. Other than that, its just another empty rumor to join the past 50 years of unfounded rumors.

I do not care one way or another if a million Americans go to visit Cuba or none go. I related what Castro said on TV.

I prefer reality over appearances. ;)

All of the travel restrictions against Americans traveling to Cuba currently come from our own, allegedly free, government. Cuba is very welcoming of American tourists (well, really their money :D).

I just read a news article about a congressional panel making plans to open travel to Cuba.

Makes you wonder how long it'll be before Cuba gets added as a cruise destination.

What a grand idea. I hope they do it soon while I'm still able to cruise.

I prefer reality over appearances. ;)

All of the travel restrictions against Americans traveling to Cuba currently come from our own, allegedly free, government. Cuba is very welcoming of American tourists (well, really their money :D).

Well Duh! Everybody loves paper with pictures of dead Presidents on it. Here and there!:D:D

Well Duh! Everybody loves paper with pictures of dead Presidents on it. Here and there!:D:D
And assuming they have a good way to check for conterfeit, they are even happy to take a piece of paper with a picture of dead Non-President Benjamin Franklin on it:p

Thom

Everyone must realize the Cubans are 'very bad" communist.The Chineese are "very good" communist----well at least as long as China stupidly continues to finance our runaway debt !Some folks get their communist confused.

LMAO!!

I've often wondered the same thing!!

Basically, it boils down to the fact that no one wants to tick off the voting block of Miami-Dade and Broward Counties down here...!:eek:

Unless you were born there and watched your father tortured and killed and watched my brother and sisters die trying to escape the brutality of castros gov't you people have no clue. It is still happening today and all you care about is getting your cigars, your chevy's and your beaches. It really is hard to listen to the ignorance on this thread from people who have never been there or people from the Uk or canada who wre allowed only to see what the gov't allowed you to see. If Germany was an island and Hitler was in charge you would go to. It is really sad that you people haven't a clue.

I am sorry for your loss. My ancestors are from Cuba. I have wanted to travel to Cuba for years and years, but I would never illegally do so. Until I can go there with a good clear conscience I won't do it. However, it is my dream that someday I may be able to travel there legally and see what I have been told is a very beautiful island. I already know that the Cuban people are mostly warmhearted and lovely, because of all the Cubans I know and love. That I know of I don't have any relatives left in Cuba. My grandmother's cousin was the last relative to leave Cuba back in the early 60's. She came with her husband and daughters and lived with us in Miami until they got on their feet. My parents were born in the U.S. as where my grandparents. My great grandparents came to the U.S. back in the early 1800s. When it is legal to go there I will be one of the first on the boat or plane!

Once Fidel dies, I would welcome the opportunity to see Cuba, perhaps first as a cruiser, then to return for a week or so at an AI resort near Holguin. It's the biggest Caribbean Island, has unique beaches and geography, and it's people could really use the tourism income. I have a Cuban employee who returns to Cuba to visit his family each year, and he brings back a realistic opinion of what goes on inside Cuba now and how the embargo hurts his relatives. He had been in the Cuban army back in the 60's, came to the US and earned his citizenship here, and it's good to get first hand accounts rather than conjecture, speculation and political opinion on this subject.

For more than 50 years Cuba could have made a FEW MINOR concessions and reestablished relations with the US.

CUBA has chosen to NOT do that.

I agree with you [for a change..] and I am a Cuban-American, living in South Florida for 50 years! They are stubborn old mules that didn't "want" change!

A recent poll of Americans asking if they were for or against the US opening Cuba to Americans.

The results:

37% FOR opening Cuba

37% AGAINST opening Cuba

Those ARE NOT numbers that will stir politicians to action.

I'd love to sail to Cuba!!!

Hi I know this is off topic but I notised you have been on alot of cruises, the last few years several in a row all on Carnival. Are they all still as much fun?

Once my kids leave for college I could travel with my husband quite often and without the kids I could live without the suite making this type of travel fairly cheap (espically if we go on the weeks kids are in school). I was thinking it would get boring after awhile though.

Anyways Carnival is lucky to have such a loyal customer enjoy your cruises!!

As far as Cuba I don't see it happening in the near future (I could be wrong though) but thats my opinion. The goverment has more important things going on right now.....

I agree with you [for a change..] and I am a Cuban-American, living in South Florida for 50 years! They are stubborn old mules that didn't "want" change!

I'm like a broken clock, I'm right twice a day!!:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

Again I'd like to clarify that it is not the Castros that forbid Americans to travel to Cuba. It is the (allegedly free) American government that effectively forbids us to travel there.

Ironically the US government does not forbid travel to North Korea, probably the most oppressed nation on Earth.

Sadly, the Miami Cuban (who for some unknown reason have major political clout) will never allow it!

Whether you agree or disagree with the Miami Cubans, the reason for their political clout is pretty straight forward. Florida is nearly an even split in elections, and any organized block [eg the Miami Cubans] will swing the election. Not only does this have ramifications on state elections, but Florida's 25 Electorial votes definitely decided the 2000 Presidential election, and Florida now has 27 Electorial votes and perhaps more after the 2010 Census is in.

Thom

Again I'd like to clarify that it is not the Castros that forbid Americans to travel to Cuba. It is the (allegedly free) American government that effectively forbids us to travel there.

Ironically the US government does not forbid travel to North Korea, probably the most oppressed nation on Earth.

That's 'cause no NK leaders ever had a US president killed.

Wait until Castro is dead, then, don't get run down in the stampede to Cuba.

Well, folks, don't get your hopes too high. Seems like the Administration is just piecemealing this to what Bill Clinton did...academic and cultural or charity groups with stress on one-to-one interactions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100817/pl_nm/us_cuba_usa

No plans to allow cruisers or general travellers there.

I did Cuba solo in 2005. Cuba has some All-Inclusive that have zero single supplements. I stayed at the 4 1/2* Playa Pesquero in Holguin and had an awesome time.

Joanne

Thanks for the info Joanne. This is one more reason for me to take another look at an AI vacation in Cuba.:)

Archived