Smoking in staterooms

chimpanzoid

The funniest thing I saw on a recent cruise was someone who had one of those fake electric cigarettes that have no tobacco and only emit fake smoke. One of those non-smoking zealots started coughing, waving her hands and asked him to put it out. Some of these non-smokers are hypocrites and feel they need to save the world. What they really need is a life!

The funniest thing I saw on a recent cruise was someone who had one of those fake electric cigarettes that have no tobacco and only emit fake smoke. One of those non-smoking zealots started coughing, waving her hands and asked him to put it out. Some of these non-smokers are hypocrites and feel they need to save the world. What they really need is a life!

OMG! Funniest post to this theard. That is hilarious. :D:D:D

Not if Princess happens to be your cruise line of CHOICE for many reasons. That's like me telling you if you're going to smoke, just go cruise Carnival, which I think would be absurd!

if princess happens to be your cruise line of choice then you have no right to complain about their smoking policies as it was your CHOICE.

because of celebritys policy they are basically telling me to go cruise on another line nothing absurd about it at all

if princess happens to be your cruise line of choice then you have no right to complain about their smoking policies as it was your CHOICE.

.... its not about complaining... it's about lobbying for a more restrictive policy like X's.

because of celebritys policy they are basically telling me to go cruise on another line nothing absurd about it at all

.... and as the other lines see less complaints from people offended by second hand smoke.... they may well adopt the restrictions...... Which is what I believe will happen because smokers are a "dying breed". ;)

.... its not about complaining... it's about lobbying for a more restrictive policy like X's.

.... and as the other lines see less complaints from people offended by second hand smoke.... they may well adopt the restrictions...... Which is what I believe will happen because smokers are a "dying breed". ;)

Only overtaken by people flying to cruises and driving too causing more pollution than a smoker ever could

or to put it another way its about restricting the choice of smokers to a choice of not cruising at all or cruising but not been allowed smoke whilst doing so.

as things stand at the moment i would say about half of cruise lines have policies similair to celebrity or stricter and half are similair to princess which seems fair enough to me as both smokers and nonsmokers have plenty of choice.

by lobbying for more restrictive policies are you unfairly trying to make the balance in the favour of nonsmokers

There are 2 issues. One issue is the stench associated with a room previously inhabited by a smoker. More dangerous than the stench is the third hand smoke. Here is a link explaining the dangers of third hand smoke:

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/feature-stories/2010/02/08/dangers-of-third-hand-smoke/

Among the recommendations are

"In buildings where substantial smoking has occurred, replacing nicotine-laden furnishings, carpets and wallboard might significantly reduce exposures."

I doubt the furnishing are replaced very frequently. Cruising on a line that does not allow smoking in cabins should significantly reduce the negative effects of third hand smoke.

The cabins are Princess do not smell of smoke and if you really feel there is a smoke smell, then ask your room steward to spray their air freshner, it works great. If Princess doesn't allow smoking in the cabins, then the non-smokers will have to accept that there will be more smoking on the balconies. You know what they say, "be careful what you wish for" ;)

Only overtaken by people flying to cruises and driving too causing more pollution than a smoker ever could

Yah forgot the perfume "straw man argument". ;)

What's driving and flying got to do with nauseating me on my baloney while you puff away next door. :confused:

.......or to put it another way its about restricting the choice of smokers to a choice of not cruising at all or cruising but not been allowed smoke whilst doing so.

I didn't say folks couldn't smoke on the ship. I personally want to see it more restricted as to the specific places it is allowed. ;)

.......as things stand at the moment i would say about half of cruise lines have policies similair to celebrity or stricter and half are similair to princess which seems fair enough to me as both smokers and nonsmokers have plenty of choice.

Smokers still sail X. ;)

.......by lobbying for more restrictive policies are you unfairly trying to make the balance in the favour of nonsmokers

BINGO :D

And neither could you!

I really wasn't complaining about the thread...think it should be brought up like clockwork for smokers and non-smokers to air their grievances. How else will the cruiselines know what the masses want out of their cruise experience??

And yes, I am compelled to open these to learn what the cruiselines are putting into place. I know of nowhere on the Princess website that tells me that there is signage to be considerate of your neighbor when smoking on the balcony. I learned of that on one of these 'smoking' threads. So, I welcome new threads like this as the older ones seem to die making it hard to learn of what is currently happening onboard. That's why I read these ...just cannot figure out why people take the time to open the thread, read them and take the time to respond to them if it is only to complain that it was even started. :confused:

I really wasn't complaining about the thread...think it should be brought up like clockwork for smokers and non-smokers to air their grievances. How else will the cruiselines know what the masses want out of their cruise experience??

And yes, I am compelled to open these to learn what the cruiselines are putting into place. I know of nowhere on the Princess website that tells me that there is signage to be considerate of your neighbor when smoking on the balcony. I learned of that on one of these 'smoking' threads. So, I welcome new threads like this as the older ones seem to die making it hard to learn of what is currently happening onboard. That's why I read these ...just cannot figure out why people take the time to open the thread, read them and take the time to respond to them if it is only to complain that it was even started. :confused:

Its like a train wreck!! You can't look away. :D

A 9-unit building in my apartment complex, equipped with state-of-the-art sprinklers and alarms, burned to the ground this afternoon, destroying three parked cars, injuring one firefighter, causing two people to be treated for smoke inhalation, and killing one pet, all because a smoker in the top floor apartment was careless with her cigarette. I only mention this to remind people that we can have all the fun we want here, virtually stewing with self-righteous pro- and anti-smoker angst, but smoking can have very real dangerous and sometimes deadly repercussions.

I am not in a charitable mood about smoking and smokers at the moment. . . .

A 9-unit building in my apartment complex, equipped with state-of-the-art sprinklers and alarms, burned to the ground this afternoon, destroying three parked cars, injuring one firefighter, causing two people to be treated for smoke inhalation, and killing one pet, all because a smoker in the top floor apartment was careless with her cigarette. I only mention this to remind people that we can have all the fun we want here, virtually stewing with self-righteous pro- and anti-smoker angst, but smoking can have very real dangerous and sometimes deadly repercussions.

The staunch smokers will defend the occurrence with their typical defense that they're is no definitive proof it was caused by smoking.

Smokers will defend their right to force the rest of us to breathe their second hand smoke to their death. I am a non-smoker who has allergies and wears contact lenses. Second hand smoke causes my eyes to water affecting my contacts and triggers off my allergies. So I am against having to smell the smoke.

Luckily I have never (yet!) had a stateroom that reaked with stale smoke. If I did, I would of course be most unhappy due to my physical conditions. I have had pax smoking on the adjacent balcony. I like rock'n'roll music. Playing my favorite tracks from say AC/DC or Pantera at or near the normal concert levels on my balcony can prove interesting. :rolleyes: If I have to smell their smoke, they can listen to my music. Rock on dude.

BTW smokers, when was the last time you actually could taste vanilla ice cream?

I like rock'n'roll music. Playing my favorite tracks from say AC/DC or Pantera at or near the normal concert levels on my balcony can prove interesting. :rolleyes: If I have to smell their smoke, they can listen to my music. Rock on dude.

Interesting idea but do you actually bring a player with speakers? :p

Tired of this..you dont like the Primcess policies, please go somewhere else or put up with it.

Or complain loud & long enough so they'll listen & change their policy of smoking on a balcony. :rolleyes:

The staunch smokers will defend the occurrence with their typical defense that they're is no definitive proof it was caused by smoking.

This is a very sad story made even more so because someone was careless. I doubt you will hear any smokers defend what happened.

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with a stateroom that was previously occupied by a smoker (we are non-smokers). The cruiseline assured me that they clean the room prior to each cruise in such a way as to eliminate any odor.

Thanks--Dave

I had a huge problem once. That's the last time I sailed Princess. NOTE: My experience was an exception, I only point it out because it does, unfortunately happen.

In short, we were surrounded by smokers and there was nothing out cabin steward could do to keep up to keeping the smell out. It even drifting into our cabin at night. And, using our balcony was next to impossible.

We loved sailing Princess but had to start looking for alternatives after this.

We sailed Celebrity for the first time which has more strict smoking rules and does not allow smoking in the cabin or balcony.

Judy

This is terrible. The same thing could happen again on a Princess cruise ship just like it already did on the Star Princess.

Rdsqrl, if you have a link to the story on the fire could you post it here?

In short, we were surrounded by smokers and there was nothing out cabin steward could do to keep up to keeping the smell out. It even drifting into our cabin at night. And, using our balcony was next to impossible.

We loved sailing Princess but had to start looking for alternatives after this.

We had a similar situation last year. We splurged on a balcony for our honeymoon, but almost never used it. We had 24/7 smokers next to us and I have bad allergies and could not stand to be out there. Not once the whole week did I step out onto our balcony without smelling smoke. And the glacier viewing day was horrible. I think they had a big, extended family out there, all smoking. A friend had bought us the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast for a wedding gift, so I really wanted to sit out and enjoy the breakfast and glaciers, but I had to keep going inside when the smoke got too much for me.

This year for our anniversary, we chose to save money by getting an inside cabin. We will find places on deck where there are no smokers to enjoy the scenery.

Archived