Day Trips from Venice

racytvr

haven't done research yet on Tripadvisor so I thought I would just throw this out there. We are going to be staying in Venice two days before our cruise in Oct and two days after in early Nov. Can anyone recommend a day trip out of the Venice area either by car or train? Thanks!

Tracy

You are not far from Verona which is a wonderful city with an interesting old quarter and a fabulous amphitheatre where they perform operas in the evening. You would have to check the schedule though as I'm not sure whether they do them in October. We saw La Boheme there and it was amazing and I'm no opera buff. It was the setting and the atmosphere that made it so memorable.

Padua is also an option (quaint historical area and magnificent cathedral) as is Lake Garda. The lake is high on my list of all time favourite places and the water buses make it easy to get around. The towns of Sirmione and Garda are particularly picturesque.

You might check out viator.com to get an idea of what is available. Then either book with them or plan to do it on your own.

We stayed in Verona, then took the train to Venice for the day. We did that with most of the major cities (Rome, Naples, etc). It worked out well, as we didn't have to pay for parking the car, nor hassle with the traffic problems in the major cities.

Have a great trip!

During our 2007 Med cruise we had a total of 4 nights in Venice and so I looked into potential side trips. One of the things I examined seriously was a day trip into a spectacular section of the Italian Alps known as the Dolomites. I was surprised to learn that it is only 1.5 hrs away by car from Venice and there are tours available.

We ended up not going on it because I was afraid that the rest of the family (who does not share my love for mountains) would not like it.....

I too am looking for suggestions as we will be spending two days in Venice before boarding RC's Vision of the Seas on October 30th. I shall also investigate Trip Advisor for things to do. Appreciate any suggestions of things folks have done in the past.

Archived