Can we board at a middle destination of a world cruise

OD2

We are interested in a world cruise segment we saw of 27 days on Royal Princess, but we don't want to take the whole thing. It starts in Papeete, then goes to Easter Island, over to South America and up through the Panama canal to dock in Ft Lauderdale.

We will be on Easter Island, and wonder if we can get on the ship at Easter Island, and continue to Ft Lauderdale. It would mean missing the first 9 days of the segment. Has anyone else done this? Will cruise lines allow it? Can we ask for a discount, since we will not be taking the entire segment?

It seems silly to fly over 5 hours to get on the ship at Papeete ( and an extra $3000+ for the 2 of us), only to then have 8 sea days going right back to Easter Island. And we were just in French Polynesia last fall, so don't need to go again so soon.

Has anyone advice for us? I phoned Princess directly but the man at the call centre just said we have to get on at Papeete.

I don't think you can join a cruise mid way through. I have heard of passengers leaving a cruise early nut never joining late. You should call the cruise line and ask them directly.

You would not get a discount so I'm not sure it would be worth paying for the entire cruise and then miss almost half of it. Perhaps you should just look for an itinerary that fits you better.

Thanks to all who wrote with suggestions. I think I will call my TA and see what can be done. It may not work, because I realize that before you board your details are entered into the computer at the reception desk, and your photo is taken for ID purposes. They likely won't have that sort of reception facility on Easter Island.

Thanks to all who wrote with suggestions. I think I will call my TA and see what can be done. It may not work, because I realize that before you board your details are entered into the computer at the reception desk, and your photo is taken for ID purposes. They likely won't have that sort of reception facility on Easter Island.

You shouldn't have many problems IF they will allow you to board in Easter Island. Your picture can be taken onboard-would be the same thing if you loose your card and they can certainly process your credit card. Info for the computer can be input in advance. You need to contact Princess "special operations/services" dept. You WILL have to pay for the ENTIRE segment, even if you are only onboard a few days. You also have to write a letter and fax it to the Captain for his approval.

We are doing essentially the same thing in reverse this September except we are getting OFF the ship in Vladivostak Russia (trip from Anchorage to Beijing). I also inquired about boarding in Vladivostak next spring and that was OK also but again I had to pay for the entire cruise (Beijing to Anchorage).

Why not just book it from Papeete, then a day or so after it sails from Papeete contact the line to advise them that you have missed the ship due to connection problems, and that you will catch up with it at Easter Island. Many people miss their ship at embarkation and catch it at the next port of call. You would pay for the whole segment, but the increment would most likely be much less than the $3,000 you quoted.

I don't think you can join a cruise mid way through. I have heard of passengers leaving a cruise early nut never joining late. You should call the cruise line and ask them directly.

You would not get a discount so I'm not sure it would be worth paying for the entire cruise and then miss almost half of it. Perhaps you should just look for an itinerary that fits you better.

Absolute nonsense in every respect.

Yes there are sectors within world cruises that are sold as separate entities at a sort of pro-rata rate.

Just simply ask either your TA or the operator directly whether the sector you want is available and then get a price for your cabin..........SIMPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Our TA didn't think this plan was possible either, and discouraged us.

My husband decided he didn't want all the hassle of trying to get around all the rules, etc. Plus we have limited time to be away, and he decided all those days at sea just for the Easter Island leg made no sense anyway, although we like the Princess small ships so I was rather hoping it would work out.

However, we have booked a Seabourn Odyssey cruise Ft. Lauderdale to Valparaiso in Jan 2011 instead, and then we will just fly Santiago to Easter Island and back. No hassle involved with it, as we are taking a standard leg of a longer cruise. It's a bit more cost, but less fuss.

Our first time on Seabourn...wish us luck.

Thanks so much to all of you who wrote in, and for all the suggestions. It was much appreciated, and helped our decision.

My understanding is that you can join and leave a segment pretty much whereever you wish. HOWEVER, most cruise lines will want to charge you for the segment(s) that include the ports you wish to join and leave in.

I know of a couple of folks that while on the QE2 world left in New Zealand even though Sydney was the end of the segment and they had to pay all the way to Sydney. After staying six weeks in New Zealand, they joined a Princess ship heading back to Canada. I do not know what the fare segment on that return sail was. So Yes you can most likely join the ship in Easter Island but you may have to pay the full segment fare.

Archived