Sea Dream II- Dubrovnik-Istanbul Sept 24, '10

Cicciabella

So far it seems Sea Dreamers are a pretty quiet bunch. Haven't seen much posting which I take as a good sign. I have been following the posts on similar ports on the SD Facebook page. This will be our first time on SD---can't WAIT!!!--- so I thought I'd start a conversation with whoever is out there.

Be prepared to be addicted as soon as you get off the boat... We took out first cruise in the Caribbean in April and we're still talking about it daily.

Just about to book our second cruise, thanks to a nice discount courtesy of an onboard booking...

we haven't been on our cruise yet - early December for us - but we are already thinking and dreaming on a daily basis!

I mentoned the nice onboard discounts and the idea of booking a second cruise while we were on the first and my husband narrowed his eyes - judged what his chances of saying no were and agreed the Med would be nice next year ...

haa ... victory

smiles

Joanna

Please read my member review,just posted..

Sad, but many GREAT things about cruise, like excellent staff and food, BUT, the cabin is small and no balcony or window that opens REALLY got to us...then the bathroom is TINY, really non functioning for a tall person.

Found little shade areas and small size of ship really got to me after 8 days..Then had an engine fire and no AC for nite, dinner had to be a barbeque at 10 pm, then very warm in cabin...staff did admirably but not what you expect for "luxury cruise". Few flashlights and very scary to be in cabin with NO lights or AC,had to stay on deck....bad experience in all that nite....sorry all you loyal fans but had to tell the truth as I saw it...:(

Sad, but many GREAT things about cruise, like excellent staff and food, BUT, the cabin is small and no balcony or window that opens REALLY got to us...then the bathroom is TINY, really non functioning for a tall person.

Found little shade areas and small size of ship really got to me after 8 days..Then had an engine fire and no AC for nite, dinner had to be a barbeque at 10 pm, then very warm in cabin...staff did admirably but not what you expect for "luxury cruise". Few flashlights and very scary to be in cabin with NO lights or AC,had to stay on deck....bad experience in all that nite....sorry all you loyal fans but had to tell the truth as I saw it...:(

I'm sorry your cruise wasn't all you hoped it would be. It sounds like maybe you'd prefer a larger ship.

I am sorry that you did not realize that the cabins and bathrooms are smaller than other ships. No balconies is well publicized. The size of the ships is what makes them so special. Engine fires are just one of those things and clearly the crew did all that they could. Thank goodness there were no injuries.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Where did you post your review? Can't find it on Cruise Critic member reviews under SeaDream. Yes, the cabins and especially the baths are small but I agree with ZQVOL, the size and window configurations are well posted on the SeaDream website. We, also have been on board with mechanical issues, though not as troublesome as yours. That kind of breakdown happened on QE2 in the Mid Atlantic.:eek: Unfortunately, those things can and do happen from time to time. The crew wanted the air conditioning back on as badly as you did, I am sure.:D The mechanical problems are just rare bad luck, the size of the rooms and ship are a personal preference that nothing can change. Have you tried Seabourn? The triplets are about twice as large (with double the passenger load) as SeaDream. Again, sorry you had a difficult cruise.

Jim.

Sorry to hear, as well, that your cruise wasn't all that you had hoped as well as the trouble with the engine fire and a/c:eek:

Don't give up on luxury cruising ... you just need to find the right fit for you! You might enjoy Seabourn as Jim suggests at the cabins and bathrooms are larger. We found even fewer shaded outdoor areas on SB triplets but they are much larger ships.

Well, looks like I got things going. Thanks!!! (Completely forgot about the "Roll Call" board but that looks pretty quiet too.) In response to the above, we fell in love with Seabourn last winter, Panama Canal cruise. Met several couples who said if we loved this we'd go NUTS for Sea Dream. My husband is thrilled at the idea of not having to dress up at all. We're willing to try this, having done Silversea which we liked, and Windstar twice. The bigger ships are not for us at all, NO way. And forget a ship that attracts kids.(Too bad we can't bring our cats.:p) We are the type who go in the opposite direction of the crowds, hence the small ship idea. By the way, if anyone wants to do the Nile, take the Oberoi Zahra, incredibly luxurious small river ship that you'll be in tears leaving. Amazing!

we have the Oberoi cruise on the Nile on our list of next year's maybes - so nice to hear that it really is as good as the magazine article I read made it sound!

I am hoping that the SD will have everything I need - which is no kids, no second rate Vegas style entertainment, and the over-riding thing no ties for my husband and simple choices to pack!

I just want a good book (ok will probably pack 6) some cold drinks and some good conversations and laughs in the bar with new friends ....

love having this countdown below my signature

smiles

Joanna

will look into them for next cruise.....review is now posted. Re; cabin ,,yes, knew it had no balcony or open window,but didnt realize it would affect us so much,,,esp,.after no AC following fire,(which luckily hurt no one and handled well by crew).

Joanna,,,,about the kids,,,can t count on not having them,,,we had about 6 teens and early 20 s who sort of "took over" pool and hot tub,but no problem for us.Not too loud,but kept throwing football till it hit a passenger.

I don t mean to imply it s not a good cruiseline, just problems for US,,,and OUR feelings...everyone has different tastes and needs, right??

If they could magically add a balcony and bigger bathroom,,,would be on it in a flash.......;)

Joanna,,,,about the kids,,,can t count on not having them,,,we had about 6 teens and early 20 s who sort of "took over" pool and hot tub,but no problem for us.

The good thing about Joanna's scheduling - not when kids are out of school. We learned our lesson many years ago- try to avoid those weeks - that's the one thing that's holding me back from booking trip next year is that its 3rd week in June, not in May like this years trip. Taking over pool - whether its rowdy adults which we had in December or children does detract from the optimal SD experience, but its still much better than the mass market lines.

FT

We were on SD1 June 19-26th and had a few teens on our cruise, but all were mature and well behaved. No take over of the pool or spa area, and other than seeing a couple of them out on the water toys - along with other adult passengers - we really weren't aware of their presence. (And we too prefer an all adult cruise).

So I think it's really luck of the draw, but would also agree that there are certain times of the year when you're apt to find more kids on board than not.

CDreamer

will look into them for next cruise.....review is now posted. Re; cabin ,,yes, knew it had no balcony or open window,but didnt realize it would affect us so much,,,esp,.after no AC following fire,(which luckily hurt no one and handled well by crew).

Joanna,,,,about the kids,,,can t count on not having them,,,we had about 6 teens and early 20 s who sort of "took over" pool and hot tub,but no problem for us.Not too loud,but kept throwing football till it hit a passenger.

I don t mean to imply it s not a good cruiseline, just problems for US,,,and OUR feelings...everyone has different tastes and needs, right??

If they could magically add a balcony and bigger bathroom,,,would be on it in a flash.......;)

Alexandra Cruiser - Where is your review posted? I still don't see it???

Cicciabella, forgot to add.... if you can, plan on spending (at least) a couple of nights in Dubrovnik before you board SD. It is a wonderful city - clean, with plenty to see and do. We really loved it and can't wait to go back and see more of the Dalmation Coast. One tip: Dubrovnik is a very different city when the big cruise ships are in - which is why I recommend spending a couple (or more) nights there before your cruise. Once the megaships leave it is a truly magical place to explore.

Enjoy your cruise!

we have the Oberoi cruise on the Nile on our list of next year's maybes - so nice to hear that it really is as good as the magazine article I read made it sound!

I am hoping that the SD will have everything I need - which is no kids, no second rate Vegas style entertainment, and the over-riding thing no ties for my husband and simple choices to pack!

I just want a good book (ok will probably pack 6) some cold drinks and some good conversations and laughs in the bar with new friends ....

love having this countdown below my signature

smiles

Joanna

You will get all of that and more !!! While SD certainly isn't fo everyone, based on the above, I think you'll be more than pleased. As for kids, in my experience, when they are there (more around the holidays) they are generally pretty well behaved. Some better than the adults - I was on the same trip FT referred to.

see I wasnt the only passenger with poor experience..Ridpath,,,,has also written one from same cruise I was on....maybe it was just a fluke....but he mentioned offering cruise discount or compensation for all the problems we had,,,,some I never even heard about,,,like broken water lines and no hot water,,,it was so hot took a cold shower....but that may have helped passengers to have better overall feelings about returning in future....

Sorry, you loyal Sea Dreamers,,,,at least I wasnt the only one.Sort of felt like a "complainer" and really am not.....;)

• 3 weeks later...
So far it seems Sea Dreamers are a pretty quiet bunch. Haven't seen much posting which I take as a good sign. I have been following the posts on similar ports on the SD Facebook page. This will be our first time on SD---can't WAIT!!!--- so I thought I'd start a conversation with whoever is out there.

Cicciabella,

hope you enjoy SD. My husband and I have been twice. And we just can't wait for our next

one...

I have many friends that will be sailing ( for their first time with SD ) on the same trip sept. 24.

They are reallynice, and fun and I wish my husband and I would be sailing too in september.

Hope you have a great time !!

Archived