Please advise excursions for a family with a 20-month old bb and a 70-year old senior

smilekitty

Hi, we are going to take Alaska cruise (Celebrity Mercury) from Augu 8 - 15, from Vancouver and return to the same port. This is our first Alaska curise. The ports-of-call includes Icy Strait (3pm - 10pm); Hubbard Glacier (cruising); Juneau (7:30am - 8:30pm) and Ketchikan (2:30pm - 8:30pm), another two days on the sea.

This is a first family vacation for my husband, my son (20-month), my mom (70-year) and me. We are looking for something mild, relax and fun because of junior and senior. I have done some homework and consider a forest & nature tram in Icy Strait Point, mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest or Mount Roberts Tramway in Juneau (I doubt whether we have time and energy to do both?), not sure about Ketchikan. Can someone comment/advise the exercusions for us? The exercusions provided by the cruise seem a bit expensive to me. Where can I find better deals?

Thank you very much!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The Mt. Roberts tram in Juneau is an easy thing to do, but do not buy your tickets until who are ready to ride as if you cannot see the top of the tram from the bottom, you won't be able to see the view from the top.

They don't run out of tickets.

You can pick up a relatively inexpensive ride out to Mendenhall Glacier and back from the offers you will see on the dock in Juneau. You don't need an organized ship's tour to do that.

There are plenty of postings on this topic about how to save money on tours in Alaska or at least how to get better tours for your money, but be aware that most charge for a lap child.

Walking around the ports, you can see a lot for free. It will be easier and more fun if you take along a stroller for your child.

The point of your vacation is to have a rest and to be together. Too many people make an Alaskan cruise into an endurance test.

You all have to go together?? Just asking, if anyone has a preference?

A toddler, is a tough traveler, I wouldn't get into anything too long without any way out. Tours ARE costly, depending on what you are looking at. There are plenty of shorter "bus" type tours if those are of interest. The Tram tour in Icy Striat Point is "OK", not a stand out by any means. IF no mobility limitations, there is a very nice loop trail to consider, along with a museum.

The Tram in Juneau, is best to decide when you get there. It isn't an "energy" "tour". It's a 5 minute ride up on a tram, and a look around on top. Can be done in an hour.

IF you continue with the whale watch, you are better off with the ship tour, as it is on a large boat and space. Toddlers get about nothing out of these tours, the whales just aren't that easy to see. Parents can really be tied up, as you must know, so bring triple the toys/activites/snacks that you think you'll need.

"The point of your vacation is to have a rest and to be together. " Yes, this is right! My mom doesn't speak English and we need to be together all the time. We can't leave her with the bb on the ship and go for fun by ourselves. She will be panic and the bb will be fussy. The main point is for my mom to have a good time since my dad passed away in April this year.

My husband is an extremely busy guy at work so he really looks for some relax on the cruise. We had been on a carribean curise two years ago and he loved it. That's why we pick Alaska cruise this time.

One more question, the pier terminal for Celebrity is Canada Place. We will take the air from Toronto to Vancover in the morning on Aug 8 and depart directly from the airport to the pier. Celebrity charge $36 per person for airport to pier transfer. Is it convenient and economical to call a taxi instead? We have three adult and one toddler, 4 luggages.

One more question, the pier terminal for Celebrity is Canada Place. We will take the air from Toronto to Vancover in the morning on Aug 8 and depart directly from the airport to the pier. Celebrity charge $36 per person for airport to pier transfer. Is it convenient and economical to call a taxi instead? We have three adult and one toddler, 4 luggages.

Yes there is a cab line right outside of baggage claim, will be a cheaper option.

It wasn't that much more for a limo. I just looked and it appears to be $47 for a limo to Canada Place

If your plans aren't yet set in stone yet, it would be wise to fly in at least one day early. I have read of too many who missed their cruises when there were delays in their flights.

Plus it is always nice to have a day or two to adjust to the time zone. JMHO

In Juneau, because you're there all day, I'd recommend renting a car from Rent-a-Wreck, which should run about $60-70 for the day. Compare that to paying for tours for four. I think it's great when traveling with an elder and a baby, because you can store all the 'stuff' and grandma can sit in the car and relax if you guys want to take a bit longer looking around.

You can stay at the glacier as long or as short as you'd like, you can drive out the Shrine of St. Therese, stopping at a beach or two along the way to stroll and let the baby place. We have a large, fantastic playground where the baby can do baby things for a bit. You could stop at a coffee shop for a cup of tea to relax and warm up between sights. Being shuttled around like cattle by a tour company just doesn't compare, IMO.

You can do a whale watching tour in Icy Strait, btw, instead of Juneau. Very good whale watching location too.

$47? where do you find that quote? From the limo's website it seems to be $70 above.

I looked at this website - maybe I didn't understand it correctly: http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/hired-sedans-limousines.aspx

Edited to say - You are right - it says sedan service. When I used to go, they used to quote limo service on their website.

I used to fly into YVR every year but haven't done it for a few years and it always seemed just a tad bit more for a limo compared to taxis. This has been the only time I have done limos in my life.

A toddler, is a tough traveler, I wouldn't get into anything too long without any way out. Tours ARE costly, depending on what you are looking at. There are plenty of shorter "bus" type tours if those are of interest. The Tram tour in Icy Striat Point is "OK", not a stand out by any means. IF no mobility limitations, there is a very nice loop trail to consider, along with a museum.

Actually I already feel regret that I should book a all-inclusive vacation package in south America instead of this cruise. Maybe that will be easier for him and for us as well. Anyway, I will consider this option in the winter. Can you tell me the name for this trail and the museum? I read the posts that ISP is a very small town. So is it within walking distance?

IF you continue with the whale watch, you are better off with the ship tour, as it is on a large boat and space. Toddlers get about nothing out of these tours, the whales just aren't that easy to see. Parents can really be tied up, as you must know, so bring triple the toys/activites/snacks that you think you'll need.

From the posts I read, it seems that Alaska cruise is not complete without a whale watch and it IS very attractive. Most people recommend priviate tour. However, after viewing the pictures, I really doubt it is suitable for a toddler. So my dilemma is to go the whale watch with the ship tour ($154 pp) or drop this idea. Anyone had similar situation?

In Juneau, because you're there all day, I'd recommend renting a car from Rent-a-Wreck, which should run about $60-70 for the day. Compare that to paying for tours for four. I think it's great when traveling with an elder and a baby, because you can store all the 'stuff' and grandma can sit in the car and relax if you guys want to take a bit longer looking around.

Thank you. I will sincerely consider this suggestion.

Actually I already feel regret that I should book a all-inclusive vacation package in south America instead of this cruise. Maybe that will be easier for him and for us as well. Anyway, I will consider this option in the winter. Can you tell me the name for this trail and the museum? I read the posts that ISP is a very small town. So is it within walking distance?

From the posts I read, it seems that Alaska cruise is not complete without a whale watch and it IS very attractive. Most people recommend priviate tour. However, after viewing the pictures, I really doubt it is suitable for a toddler. So my dilemma is to go the whale watch with the ship tour ($154 pp) or drop this idea. Anyone had similar situation?

I did a 14 day South America Cruise in March and indeed, it is a fantastic traveling area. I greatly enjoyed it, and it was loaded with scenic sailing as well. It is tough choices in travel, isn't it.

The Icy Strait trail goes right along the shoreline. starts near the Cookhouse, and just follow the path. The museum, is right on the dock.

There is no- "must do" in my opinion in Alaska. (a reason, why I generally, won't bother lising, my "favorites" with general "what to do" questions. There is such a WIDE enjoyable range, you certainly can find a lot of options. IF you wish to go whale watching, I still say, my "triple stuff" suggestion a good one. And yes, toddlers go on these tours. Being prepared makes all the difference. BUT, I wouldn't consider this, if it is NOT an interest of yours??

Take another look at a shore excursion list. I also recommend you head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska are especially concise. Both have walking tours, and local attraction descriptions to also consider perhaps?

If you haven't already, I suggest you head over to the Family Cruising Forum on CC. You will get a lot more support and ideas there for traveling with a toddler.

As far as the whale watch, I agree with BQ that in your case you are probably better off with the cruise ship option, or a private vendor with a bigger boat. Your child will be able to walk around in a much larger space rather than be confined. My BIL did the cruise ship whale watch and he loved it. He said the boat was about half full the day he went, which left lots of space for those on the tour. I know there are no guarentees for the day you go, but still, a larger boat is likely a better option.

Don't get discouraged. Keep a positive attitude and this trip will be an amazing journey for all of you. Although we never cruised with children, we took vacations with children as young as 3 weeks old. Children will adapt. You just have to know your child and be prepared to keep them occupied. I was pretty strict with snacks at home, but on trips I always brought special treats. I also bought some new toys and activities for each trip. IN fact, each child always had their own vacation bucket. The toys and activities in there were put away when we got home and pulled out the next time we travelled. This worked really well for us over the years. We took our 4 year old on a 3 week, 6000 mile road trip out west. We had no regrets. Just be prepared and you will have a great cruise.

Archived