Pride cancels trips

So sorry this happened to you, and many others. I know I wouldn't be happy if it happened to us after all the plans and counting down the days. So I have a suggestion or two and some encouragement for you.

Did you book through a TA or directly with Carnival? If a TA, maybe they can come up with something comparable for you. If through Carnival, I would keep calling and talking to several salespeople until offered a deal that's feasible for you.

Since it's your first cruise, you're not die-hard Carnival fans anyway. We've found NCL to be more like than unlike Carnival. Either could make or break you as a cruise fanatic. In other words, you'll know if cruising is your cup of tea no matter which would be your first cruise. RCCL is quite similar, also, in my opinion, though I'm prefering Carnival right now with NCL a close second.

Passports - a good thing to have no matter which line. Not a total waste of money. We wouldn't cruise without one, just in case of having to fly back from a foreign country.

Insurance - We wouldn't leave home without it, although it would be nice to have a cruise to go with it!:eek: Consider talking to the company, explaining what happened, and hopefully as another poster said, they might transfer the insurance to your new plans.

Hope all works out for you.
By the way, is that hilltopper as in foxhunting?

[quote name='littlesnit']So sorry this happened to you, and many others. I know I wouldn't be happy if it happened to us after all the plans and counting down the days. So I have a suggestion or two and some encouragement for you.

Did you book through a TA or directly with Carnival? If a TA, maybe they can come up with something comparable for you. If through Carnival, I would keep calling and talking to several salespeople until offered a deal that's feasible for you.

Since it's your first cruise, you're not die-hard Carnival fans anyway. We've found NCL to be more like than unlike Carnival. Either could make or break you as a cruise fanatic. In other words, you'll know if cruising is your cup of tea no matter which would be your first cruise. RCCL is quite similar, also, in my opinion, though I'm prefering Carnival right now with NCL a close second.

Passports - a good thing to have no matter which line. Not a total waste of money. We wouldn't cruise without one, just in case of having to fly back from a foreign country.

Insurance - We wouldn't leave home without it, although it would be nice to have a cruise to go with it!:eek: Consider talking to the company, explaining what happened, and hopefully as another poster said, they might transfer the insurance to your new plans.

Hope all works out for you.
By the way, is that hilltopper as in foxhunting?[/quote]

Thank you for all your supportive words/ideas. The light of this tunnel is that so many people on here are giving ideas/suggestions to turn a bad situation into a good one.

No, hilltopper is the name of the school mascot of the town in which I reside.

Again, thank you!

[quote name='hilltoppermom']We just received notification today that our cruise for 11/7 was cancelled due to the boat being dry dock. The compensation that we receive is $50 OBC. With only 4 months away until the cruise I will be lucky to find anything comparable. I've already spent the money on passports - well over $400, trip insurance and I booked excursions. The worst part is having to tell my children that they won't be going to see the Harry Potter park nor Atlantis. Very, very sad and irritating with such short notice from carnival! It was nice of them to keep my deposit for 8 months and now they are canceling! UGH!!![/quote]

With ES now, a class action suit might hold water. Did you book ES?

[quote name='cruisecruisecruise1234567']With ES now, a class action suit might hold water. Did you book ES?[/quote]
Even if that were true, the only winner in a class action would be the lawyers. What difference does it make if they booked ES?

[quote name='hilltoppermom']Yes, I am very upset as I have been planning this trip for over a year for a group of 12 people. Yes, I should be able to recoup my costs for passports and insurance. But my children are involved in the planning process because it's their vacation too. And yes they do know in August that Christmas is in December. It is very frustrating as the time I've put into planning this group vacation. We all work jobs that makes it very difficult to plan our vacation dates. So, I'm sorry you don't feel this is a loss. I guess to each his own opinion. But to my family this is a loss. Yes, everyone has their health and life goes on but it's very disappointing.[/quote]

I am very sorry this happend to you, its especially difficult when trying to plan for such a large group. Hopefully you can find another alternative that is reasonable.

In terms of recouping any loss...You absolutely should be refunded the cost of your travel insurance. Your insurance was coverage for a specific trip and itinerary and since CCL could not follow through, then it should be reimbursed to you. As far as passports are concerned, well...I dont think its anyones responsibility to refund that. I think of a passport as an investment and a requirement for travel. I understand, you only got them for the purpose of this cruise, but its not like you wont have other opportunities to use them. And its not as if its a one time use travel pass. Its good for 10 years. Just my opinion.

Otherwise, Im sorry about your trip and absolutely understand your frustration. Hopefully you all will be able to plan a great vacation and still have a wonderful time :)

[quote name='jimbo5544']Even if that were true, the only winner in a class action would be the lawyers. What difference does it make if they booked ES?[/quote]

The Elder God notes that the particular poster you're responding to is a lawyer who has urged legal action on this forum in the past.

[quote name='hilltoppermom']Yes, I am very upset as I have been planning this trip for over a year for a group of 12 people. Yes, I should be able to recoup my costs for passports and insurance. But my children are involved in the planning process because it's their vacation too. And yes they do know in August that Christmas is in December. It is very frustrating as the time I've put into planning this group vacation. We all work jobs that makes it very difficult to plan our vacation dates. So, I'm sorry you don't feel this is a loss. I guess to each his own opinion. But to my family this is a loss. Yes, everyone has their health and life goes on but it's very disappointing.[/QUOTE]

Is NCL Jewel out of NY an alternative you could live with? It is going to basically the same ports.

If you told the insurance company that your cruise was cancelled and you booked another a lot of them will let you switch the coverage over to the new cruise.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck

Bill

[quote name='cruisecruisecruise1234567']With ES now, a class action suit might hold water. Did you book ES?[/quote]

[quote name='jimbo5544']Even if that were true, the only winner in a class action would be the lawyers. What difference does it make if they booked ES?[/quote]

1234567 is a lawyer, or works in a law office in Florida.

I am not sure what ES has to do with this either ... is Carnival refusing to give back the deposit if you booked ES?? Now that would stink. I am one who doesnt love ES. People who love it are newbies who dont remember we used to get price drops on all rates.

[quote name='hilltoppermom']Yes, I should be able to recoup my costs for passports and insurance.[/quote]

I just re-read this post that I wrote and I didn't adequately communicate! UGH. Sorry about that! I'm on a mental overload at this point! What I meant to say is that I can recoup my passport and insurance costs by using my passports somewhere else and hopefully transfer the insurance. I wasn't expecting Carnival to reimburse me for this cost. It's just a bummer that I spent the money for a specific cruise that no longer will be.

[quote name='firefly333']1234567 is a lawyer, or works in a law office in Florida.

I am not sure what ES has to do with this either ... is Carnival refusing to give back the deposit if you booked ES?? Now that would stink. I am one who doesnt love ES. People who love it are newbies who dont remember we used to get price drops on all rates.[/quote]

I'm not interested in a class action or anything of the like. I just want to go on vacation!

At this point Carnival isn't refusing to refund my deposit. Talking to carnival employees they aren't sure just when I'll get the deposit. The email is kind of vague about when I'm to receive my deposit back but it might be 5 days.

Wow! I am so sorry this happened to all of you! I know how disappointed I would be if a vacation I had planned had gotten cancelled. I am just so glad that you have time to explore other options!!!!!

I do happen to like Carnival - BUT - I sure wouldn't hesitate to look at other cruise lines! A good TA can help you with you options. Passports and travel insurance are excellent to have - not matter what kind of vacation you have.

Please let us know what you come up with & good luck :D

[quote name='gogetter']Hello,

Help me with this one.....You did not mention the ages of the children, but why would you tell them so far in advance? Not a knock on you, i just don't understand. Do you tell your kids in August that Christmas is coming?
[/QUOTE]

I've never booked a vacation that my kids don't know about - at any age! They [I]are[/I] part of the family and are told these things. I tried to keep one trip secret for a Christmas present and it almost killed me. My kids also start talking about Christmas in January!!!

I know if our cruise - that I booked 15 months out - were to be cancelled with no alternative ship at the same ES price for the same cabin type - we'd be a pretty p'd off group.

[quote name='serene56']Yep, I am guilty of this one- Been telling my grand daughter since she was born in 2005 about our trip to Disney in Sept 2010. Been a real trooper about it too all these years-- she just can not wait.[/quote]

To my family, planning & anticipation extends the excitement. We begin planning our next vacation the day after we return!

The NCL Jewel does sail out of NYC on 11/7 and has Nassau and their private island along with Port Canaveral...almost the same itineray just a different ship.

I have been on a the jewel and I would try for that one...

We live in SJ and travel to both Baltimore and NY to cruise...it will be a few hours drive for you but better than nothing...

I am sorry that this happened to you but I am sure you will find some option...

Has the pride ever been drydocked since she was launched in 2003?

I can say if this is a serious issue I'd rather they cancel the cruise than take the chance. Read the old threads over on the NCL board about the Dawn having a horrendous power problem and it barely made it to Puerto Rico where they then canceled the cruise and had to fly everyone home.

In 2008 they kept changing the itinerary on the Miracle. I finally called Carnival and said "what's up?" Was told ship was having a propulsion problem and they were changing our last stop from Tortolla to Grand Turk. Anyone who has ever been to St. Thomas knows that Tortolla is a stone's throw away (itinerary was Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Tortolla). I didn't have the heart to tell the lady that Carnival was full of you know what. Ultimately those poor folks in Grand Turk had a terrible hurricane and Carnival switched the itinerary back to Tortolla. Most folks were saying the ship was very noisy because of the propulsion issue. This is why so many folks are forewarned about planning weddings, etc on islands on the itinerary - it can all change.

Doesn't Glory sail out of Norfolk now? That's one to look at, ship was just upgraded in drydock I believe. Also - I'm assuming that Carnival is giving full refund would the travel insurance not be transferable to a new booking???

Carnival is in a no-win situation here.

How many posts have we seen in which the OP is outraged that Carnival has not taken a ship with problems out of service for a dry-dock?

How may posts have we seen in which the OP is outraged that Carnival is taking a ship with problems out of service for a dry-dock and therefore their cruise has been canceled?

Some folks book early, some last minute. Four months notice is more than acceptable.

Note: I am no Carnival cheerleader. In fact, unless they have a sailing that is just too good to pass up, I'm probably done with Carnival. Just not the experience I am looking for any longer, but all best wishes to my Carnival fans out there.

I have looked over the ES rules and I am certian I could get more compensation to those who booked ES.
Everyone got the $50,so what did those who put up a [B]non refundable deposit get[/B]?
So are they refunding a non refundable deposit now or are they making those who book ES choose another cruise?
We both know they are refunding it all,but there are still damages here for those who have airline tickets and those who purchased insurance.

If you did not purchase ES, you are out of luck.

Let me ask this question.....did those who purchased CCL insurance for this cruise,will they get it refunded?Those that purchased CL air,will they get it refunded or will they have tickets that they will either have to enjoy MD. for a week or pay a fee to change? Remember,the contract states that they,CCL are only acting as a TA (for simple terms) in this matter so the insurance has been bought and the air might have been.Those who booked it all are being treated better than those who put up a non refundable deposit.
If you used a TA for the cruise,insurance,and air will they be able to get you a refund of your travel insurance and air tickets?

The problem with ES,is you are forced to sail or lose the money.There has to be terms and conditions in order to have a contract and the second you entered into this contract,it cost you $250, so CCL canceling and not compensating those who had this contract with them is wrong.
I would bet I could get a minimum of $175 per person in OBC. $50 they are offering and half the amount at risk ($250 in half=$125) for a total of $175.

I can't imagine how disappointing it would be to have this happen. We have the Dream booked for 11/20/10 and this cruise has been about 2 years in the planning, even before the Dream was finished being built! There are 6 from my family going and we are having a reunion with a few others I cruised with in 2006. So if something like this were to happen I can't imagine the logistics of having to reorganize at this point.

Just ignore those who are going on about things could be worse and not offering any sympathy or helpful suggestions. Knowing that it could be worse doesn't really help ease the disappointment. Though, I do know of a family from my home town on Prince Edward Island who drove all the way to Florida (would be about 24 hours straight driving) to find their cruise cancelled :eek: Does that help? ;)

Hilltoppermom, here's another vote for NCL out of NY. Not too terrible a drive from PA, it looks like only a couple more hours at the most for you. Parking is probably more $$ than Baltimore though? The cruise price doesn't seem too bad. Probably cutting out Atlantis alone would compensate for the difference. Excursions booked through the ship will be reimbursed and with this much notice, I am sure even privately booked excursions will refund you. Most we have booked privately have a policy that if the ship does not dock then they will refund your money.

If you have a bit of wiggle room with your dates, both the RCI and Celebrity port out of Baltimore within a day or two of your original date. Both the Enchantment and the Mercury are beautiful ships with phenomenal crews.

We have found the actual price of the cruise itself tends to be the least of our expenses. ;)

Hope everything works out and even though it might be a few more $$$, the memories you and your children will have will well outweigh the cost.

Archived