Questions: Alaska Cruise with 21-month toddler

smilekitty

Hi we are going in August to Alaska with our 21-month son and my 70-year mom. We are taking Celebrity Mercury, ports of call are Icy Strait Point, Juneau and Ketchikan. We booked two ocean-view rooms that have internal door between.

My questions:

1. Is any program on the ship to keep my son busy? (He is not potty training yet.) Do we need to be with him all the time?

2. He takes homo milk and regular food like us. What kind of milk is provided and do we need to bring any specific food for him?

3. With a junior and a senior we are only planning for some mild and relaxing activities. Can we go for a whale-watching? From the pictures posted, I found the private tour only offers small boat and I don't think it is suitable for my family. Any recommendations to the excursions?

Thank you very much!

1. You can take your child to "Toddler Time", but you must stay with him; dates and locations will be in the daily newsletter. Babysitting may be available for $8.00 an hour. You'd have to check 24 hours in advance through the Cabin Services Desk.

2. No, they only serve "straight" milk. I would have no idea if you would need to bring any specific food. But, for example, if he has hysterics if he doesn't get Cheerios in the morning, I'd probably make sure to pack a supply.

3. Not sure what pictures you are looking at; are these excursions through the cruise ship? You may want to visit the "Ports of Call" section of this webpage for excursion ideas.

With a child that young, you'll pretty much handle him the way you do at home...there are no special programs for kids that young. I don't know if Celebrity has in-cabin babysitting...call and see!

Whole milk is avail. and lots and lots of kid-friendly foods.

1. You can take your child to "Toddler Time", but you must stay with him; dates and locations will be in the daily newsletter. Babysitting may be available for $8.00 an hour. You'd have to check 24 hours in advance through the Cabin Services Desk.

It seems that I will be tied with him all the time then. I would not leave him to an unknown babysitter. Hopefully we both have a good time on the ship.

2. No, they only serve "straight" milk. I would have no idea if you would need to bring any specific food. But, for example, if he has hysterics if he doesn't get Cheerios in the morning, I'd probably make sure to pack a supply.

He enjoys "real" food and is pretty open to new things. I don't think we need to bring our own food.

3. Not sure what pictures you are looking at; are these excursions through the cruise ship? You may want to visit the "Ports of Call" section of this webpage for excursion ideas.

I don't want to take excursions through the ship. Our point is to be together and relax. Just want to know whether it is workable to bring the toddler for a whale watching tour.

I'd bring sealed snacks and drinks for excursions. IMHO, in Alaska I thought the ship tours were the way to go most of the time. We sailed on HAL in June and did the Whale Watching with our 3 year old through the ship (Allen Marine). If you like watching for whales it was a good excursion for all age groups. Although we saw whales I thought it was boring. DH and DS enjoyed themselves.

Archived