Anchorage Dilemma

yogimax

We will be arriving in Anchorage after our cruise at approximately 1PM. Our flight isn't until 8PM.

1. Does anyone know if we can check our luggage in with Delta 7 hours before the flight?

2. If not, any suggestions?

3. If we can, what would you recommend to do in the afternoon?

Thanks

We will be arriving in Anchorage after our cruise at approximately 1PM. Our flight isn't until 8PM.

1. Does anyone know if we can check our luggage in with Delta 7 hours before the flight?

Thanks

Most of the airlines won't allow it more than 4 hours before. If they won't and you want to leave the airport then there is baggage storage

South Terminal - Open 5:00 AM - 2:00 AM, 7 days a week

Baggage and freezer storage is available at the Airport in the South (Domestic) Terminal on the Lower Level next to Bag Claim No. 4.

Charges are $6 to $8 per bag, per day depending on size. Fish boxes, etc. are charged $13 to $16 per box, per day depending on size. There is no time limit as to length items may be stored. Passengers must present an airline ticket or boarding pass in order to use this service.

Huntleigh USA

3801 W. 43rd Avenue

Anchorage, Alaska 99517

phone_icon.gif (907) 248-0373

Now are you planning to have a car and just not return it yet? If not the things to do out by the airport would involve a bit of a walk.

You could walk over to the West Coast International Inn and have lunch at Piper's. You could walk over the Alaska Aviation Museum on Lake Hood. Walk a bit further and you could go to the Millenium hotel on Lake Hood and if it's nice have lunch and hang out on the patio at the Fancy Moose.

In the airport we have a very nice animal display up on the third floor near the entrance to C gates.

You could pay $40 a person and get a day pass to the Alaska Airlines Board Room. Very nice facility and definitely a nice place to hang while you're waiting for your flight.

The airport has free wifi so you could surf the net.

At this point, that's all I have off the top of my head.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Seven hours sounds like a lot of time, but it really isn't if you are being dropped in downtown Anchorage. It will probably take at least an hour to get organized and get transportation to the airport. Plus, flights out of

Anchorage are crowded with long lines for security. I believe Delta flies out of the International terminal in Anchorage. If you need to be at the airport by 6, that gives you about four hours. As suggested above, a walk to nearby attractions and a late lunch might be your only options. I also second the day pass to the AK Air boardroom (I've spent many, many hours in them) where you can relax, eat, and get free drinks.

Thanks

Anchorage offers a lot of choices from my research. Are you ending at the airport at 1pm or being dropped off somewhere else? All adults or a mix?

Many places have their own shuttles that pick up from different locations. Zoo, Native Heritage Center, and Wild Berry I've found. Good luck, make the most of your time. This thread talked about some of choices and should give you some ideas.

What did you do in Anchorage to kill time until your flight leaves to go home?

Seven hours sounds like a lot of time, but it really isn't if you are being dropped in downtown Anchorage. It will probably take at least an hour to get organized and get transportation to the airport. Plus, flights out of

Anchorage are crowded with long lines for security. I believe Delta flies out of the International terminal in Anchorage. If you need to be at the airport by 6, that gives you about four hours. As suggested above, a walk to nearby attractions and a late lunch might be your only options. I also second the day pass to the AK Air boardroom (I've spent many, many hours in them) where you can relax, eat, and get free drinks.

With the completion of the A & B Terminal remodel Delta has moved back into the South Terminal. Actually I think everyone is back over in the South Terminal except maybe a charter company or two and the internationals are of course still flying out of the North Terminal.

Anchorage offers a lot of choices from my research. Are you ending at the airport at 1pm or being dropped off somewhere else? All adults or a mix?

We'll be dropped at the airport at 1PM and are 2 adults.

I also second the day pass to the AK Air boardroom (I've spent many, many hours in them) where you can relax, eat, and get free drinks.

The good news is that I'm a Delta Sky Club holder so will be able to access the club for free.

The good news is that I'm a Delta Sky Club holder so will be able to access the club for free.

That's even better :D

Just remember if you do leave the airport, that getting back through security can sometimes be a very long process during tourist season here.

Archived