Australian needs recommendations for caribbean cruises

AussieNewbie

Hi there, I am new to cruising in general but would love to go on a caribbean cruise while visiting Orlando in April 2011. There will be 2 single friends going on the cruise and I would be very grateful for any recommendations of cruise lines, ships, routes etc for us. We are approaching 50 years of age so don't particularly want a cruise with lots of kids, and also not a cruise with oldies either. Also, which would be easier to get to from Orlando: Miami or Fort Lauderdale? This could also influence which cruise we take. Or is there a port that is better for leaving from Orlando? Thank you so much :D

Miami will be about another 30 minute drive for you than Fort Lauderdale. Either one would be fine.

There are many cruise lines that sail this itinerary. Some to consider include Princess, Celebrity, and RCI although there are many others.

You will find a variety of age groups and there likely will be some kids.

Keith

You might like Holland America. Beautiful ships - laid-back atmosphere - good food - GREAT beds. DH and I went Eastern Caribbean in March of this year and had a great time.

Pics are in the link in my signature if you would like to see what the ship / islands are like.

Looking forward to coming your way in Feb. 2012 - 35 days!! :D

Hi there, I am new to cruising in general but would love to go on a caribbean cruise while visiting Orlando in April 2011. There will be 2 single friends going on the cruise and I would be very grateful for any recommendations of cruise lines, ships, routes etc for us. We are approaching 50 years of age so don't particularly want a cruise with lots of kids, and also not a cruise with oldies either. Also, which would be easier to get to from Orlando: Miami or Fort Lauderdale? This could also influence which cruise we take. Or is there a port that is better for leaving from Orlando? Thank you so much :D

Check out NCLs new ship Norwegian Epic, it seriously rocks! Also its last caribbean cruise is April 30 (give or take 1 day) before it relocated to Europe

Port Canaveral is closer to Orlando and has a variety of ships and itineraries...that time of year you can expect "spring breakers"(most often worse than kids)

I would second leaving from Port Canaveral unless you want to visit South Florida before or after the cruise. You don't say how long a cruise you want to take but got a first cruise you might want to do a 7 day one for a start. If you want to go on a big ship that has something for everyone, then the Freedom of the Seas is doing 7 day cruises altering east and west Caribbean ports. If you wanted to a 14 day you could just stay on for consecutive cruises and see Haiti (private beach), Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel Mexico on the Western route and Coco Cay, Bahamas (private island), St Thomas USVI and St Maarten on the Eastern route.

Disney, NCL and Carnival also have ships sailing various 7 day cruises during April from PC. I never recommend Carnival because we had bad experiences on our one Carnival cruise. We have never been on NCL although the NCL Sun which is sailing from PC is a brand new ship and the largest in NCL's fleet. We did one Disney cruise and loved the ship which does have a large adult only area but you pay a extra price to sail on Disney.

If you don't mind the extra driving the options of cruise lines are expanded by adding Princess, HAL and Celebrity ships that sail from there. It is about a 3 hour drive from Orlando using the Florida turnpike.

Have fun picking which one to take and have a great first cruise.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We would probably do a 7 day cruise as we are doing land travel as well, and the cruise is just a bonus while we are in the area. Sounds like Port Canaveral is a good departure point, handy to Orlando as we don't have private transport. Thank you again, please come 'down under' soon!

My wife and I hope to get "down under" someday. I visited Sydney in 1969 for one week on R&R from Vietnam and loved it.

If you decide to look into Ft Lauderdale there are buses that the cruise companies run that could take you from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale for a relatively small charge or you could rent a car and drop it off near the port and the car rental company will take you to the ship in a van.

Just want you to have as many options as possible.

Have a great first cruise and great visit in the USA.

Archived