Buying man and/or woman high end watch in Grand Cayman

DW, DD and myself will be on LOS on 08/15. I was wandering if the prices for high end watches (Omega, Hublot, Cartier ) in Grand Cayman are good. I know its duty free place, but given its a tourist spot, often the deals are not that great compared to other places like HK or elsewhere. Any experieces or place to recommand if that's the case? Thanks.

I bought by cartier in Gran Cayman-- They only discount I think it's 5 or 10%, plus you pay no tax. It's def worth it. I think Rolex gives you 5%off...that is in all the carribean same with Cartier, it's a set discount no matter where you go in the carribean. I think there was only 1 store in GC that carries Cartier. IDK about the other brands...

DW, DD and myself will be on LOS on 08/15. I was wandering if the prices for high end watches (Omega, Hublot, Cartier ) in Grand Cayman are good. I know its duty free place, but given its a tourist spot, often the deals are not that great compared to other places like HK or elsewhere. Any experieces or place to recommand if that's the case? Thanks.

Do research on the brand/model you want before you go, and bring the price comparisons with you. We found GC about equal to prices in U.S. - some were a bit higher, some were a bit lower, but the only real savings we saw were the lack of tax.

I don't know where else you are stopping, but we spent a week in Grand Cayman and found it to be the most expensive Caribbean island we've ever been to. I would definitely do your research. Depending on where else you go, you may have better luck elsewhere.

My friend bought a Philip Stein watch in Grand Cayman in a jewelry store near the pier. It was $5000. It wouldn't be for me but it's her money. I have no idea what they are supposed to cost.

All I can say is YIKES!

My friend bought a Philip Stein watch in Grand Cayman in a jewelry store near the pier. It was $5000. It wouldn't be for me but it's her money. I have no idea what they are supposed to cost.

All I can say is YIKES!

We bought a genuine Bolex in Shanghai for $10:)

GC is a VERY expensive place....big "banking" hub, and all that. if you plan on purchasing costly items, price them at home before you go, so you'll know if you're getting a 'bargain'...bargains are few and far between!

My wife did me end while I was not with her in Grand Cayman but she didn't get taken when she bought her Rado. After I later found the charge on the AmEx bill did she say you finally noticed my new watch!!! LOL

A year later i decided to buy me the men's Rado, with the diamonds no less, and priced it out on the net. We were sailing out of Galveston, so I also priced it in stores there and told them to shoot me their best price since I was sailing the next week and could return to purchase if the price was right.

First stop was Key West, FL. Directly ashore, Little Switzerland, not on the ship's list but a very dependable store. Went in, found the watch, dickered a while and whoopee, the price was right! I did not take possession of the watch and had it mailed to me at home, no sales tax due. Best of both worlds. Caribbean pricing, no tax, USA purchase, better for warranty which hasnt been needed. Watch shipped insured to me to arrive when i arrived home.. Good luck, just watch out for your impulses, they can be costly if you don't do your research.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, A RollX for $20. I get Oakley's 2 x $15 but be careful, the paint might come off on your shaved head like they do on mine.. And designer fashion, right there on the street. Have to say the last knock off purse the wife bought was at none other than Coki beach and it was a lot more that what you and I bought and a fake at that.. LOLOL..

Cant wait to get an Eyefone!!!!!!!

We bought a genuine Bolex in Shanghai for $10:)

We would always get bombarded by the guys selling "Copy Rolex?" as soon as we walked out of the hotel in Hong Kong.... We'd have fun with them and say "No, I am all out of Rolex... maybe have tomorrow."

I've got an Omega Seamaster, and I didnt think the price was competitive in GC. The other thing is - do they look/are they genuine???? If you do get one, convince yourself it is, its a long way to go back for a dispute.:)

My advice is also to do your research. Find out who are the authorized dealers are and what you would pay in Canada for what you are looking for. The Caribbean prices are set so you will not find different prices anywhere else in the Caribbean. The best part is the selection in GC almost any watch made can be found there. Be careful and make sure you declare it if import taxes are due when you clear Canada custom's.

Archived